deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: question about tormod's crypt  (Read 667 times)

angorashi

• Decks
question about tormod's crypt
« on: May 20, 2017, 06:52:58 pm »
So I'm brand new to LGS magic and last night was my first FNM modern night. I had a blast but had an interaction which left me with some questions.

I was playing living end, had a bunch of creatures in the graveyard, six lands out, violent outburst and beast within in my hand. My opponent has a tormod's crypt on the field. While I ramped I kept three lands open so I could beast within as a response to a crypt trigger. At six lands, I cast violent outburst for the cascade- in response, he sac'd tormod's crypt. In response to THAT, I cast beast within, believing that as it goes on the stack, it would prevent tormod's crypt from exiling my graveyard.

I'm a bit confused as to why this doesn't work and what I could have done to get around it. The way the other dude and the judge explained it, when tormod's crypt is tapped, it's sacrificed as part of the cost and it's GONE and cannot be responded to. This confuses me because I thought that anything instant-speed could go on top of the stack of, well, anything. Could I have cast beast within first to feint out the tormod's crypt, then cast violent outburst in response to the trigger to get my living end out before the graveyard exiles?

I just want to get this straight in my head :)

interfector

• Decks
Re: question about tormod's crypt
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 08:27:56 pm »
The cost (as the word suggest) is something you pay to have an effect. In this case your opponent have to tap and sac Tormod's Crypt to use its effect (it's an activated ability, the cost is the part before ":" and the effect is the part after). When he/she declare to use the abilty of Tormod's Crypt and pay the cost (tap and sac) it's too late to respond with an instant (it's too late to destroy it).

Also you can't cast Beast Within targeting Tormod's Crypt because at the time you cast Beast the Crypt is already gone to graveyard.

The correct sequence would be cast Beast Within targeting the Crypt, he sac in response to fizzle the Beast, and you ,in response of the Crypt ability, cast Violent Outburst cascading into Living End, and gg.

EDIT: The cost (like paying mana) are paid "during" putting spells or ability on the stack. You can't respond to someone paying costs (for example additional cost: discard card, sac permanent or anything else).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:29:53 pm by interfector »

angorashi

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:14:07 am »
thank you for explaining this to me, it makes sense now :)

angorashi

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:10:28 am »
downvoted for asking a question? really?

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 05:42:17 pm »
downvoted for asking a question? really?

Well, that is two more questions. Gunning for downvotes, eh?

Crap, now I'm gonna get downvoted.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac