deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Spoilers for New Set  (Read 1162 times)

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Spoilers for New Set
« on: June 05, 2017, 10:45:50 pm »
Hello ladies and Gentlemen, this is your friendly neighborhood planeswalking vamp G. Moto. Spoilers on mythic spoiler have begun and man have they started with some strong cards. For all who have been expecting it Bolas does make his return in this block. Even a previous legendary creature becomes a NEW PLANESWALKER. Lastly a strong kill spell that gives Black a new way to wipe the board. Check them out: http://www.mythicspoiler.com/hou/index.html

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:12:50 pm by G. Moto »

Nils

• Decks
Re: Spoilers for New Set
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:19:04 pm »
Thank you for posting this G. Moto! I will add these to our card database tonight.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 12:03:21 am »
Any ideas on what God-Pharaoh's Gift is gonna be? I have one artifact that searches for it when conditions (I forget what) are met.. it's frustrating cuz it's other effect works in my deck but not well enough to make it worth it without knowing what God-Pharaoh's Gift is
Nils is the God I worship

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 12:37:42 am »
In what world is Nicol Bolas NOT an utterly op, broken card?  Most Planeswalkers have a + ability that is helpful, a -ability that is hard to deal with, and an ultimate that CAN be game-destroying.  He, though... Every one of his abilities is game destroying.  I mean, realistically, his + abilities, alone, destroy your opponent.  +2 for a better version of Telemin performance.  +1 to exile two cards from not just one opponent's hand, but EACH opponent's hand. 

Yeah, he has a somewhat steep mana cost.  But when he hits, it's not going to be an easy game.  Hopefully the ridiculousness of this walker gives us a Pithing Needle reprint. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:39:25 am by Mostlynotgay »
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 12:54:06 am »
That Nichol Bolas card might be the reason aetherworks marvel gets banned. Getting him on the field turn 4 would be devastating, like Ulamog.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 01:29:44 am »
That Nichol Bolas card might be the reason aetherworks marvel gets banned. Getting him on the field turn 4 would be devastating, like Ulamog.

Oh man, you're right! That is gruesome!
And Samut becomes a planeswalker with that - 7 ultimate two creatures/planeswalker and +1 double strike combo! Its like the Arlinn Kord of Aggro

And that wrath effect for 3? Seriously? I'm thinking the possibilities for abuse are there
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:31:37 am by Mnemosyne »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 01:30:23 am »
But if you think of the new planeswalker that is a part of this set it may balance things out. Play some red/green land destruction or a way to slow them down enough to get her ultimate off and you've got TWO planeswalkers straight from the deck onto the battlefield. Depending on who you choose that in itself can be powerful and game changing. Lets count them off shall we:

1. & 2. Ajani unyielding, Ajani Valiant Protector,
3. & 4. Chandra pyrogenius, Chandra torch of defiance
5. Dovin Baan
6. & 7. Gideon of the trials, Gideon Martial Paragon
8. 9. & 10. Liliana Death Wielder, Liliana the Last Hope, Liliana Death's Majesty
11. 12. & 13. Nissa Nature's Artisan, Nissa Steward of Elements, Nissa vital force,
14. Saheeli Rai
15. & 16. Tezzeret the Schemer, Tezzeret master of Metal

Knowing that Samut the tested is a R/G walker now it only makes sense that a person would want to stick as close to this walker's intended play style and colors as possible when it comes to her abilities. I'm speculating that unless there is going to be another walker in this block that these may be possible deck options for Samut and Superfriends:

Gruul                         Naya               Temur            Jund                4-Color Variants   
Chandra                     Ajani               Chandra         Chandra           U/B/R/G (Tezzeret, Liliana, Chandra, Nissa, Saheeli)
Nissa                         Gideon             Nissa             Nissa                B/R/G/W (Liliana, Ajani, Gideon, Nissa)
                                 Chandra          Saheeli          Liliana               R/G/W/U (Dovin, Chandra, Nissa, Gideon, Saheeli)
                                 Nissa

These are just guesstimations and possible combos that could work depending on the walkers you choose for the decks. What do you guys and gals think of these possible deck strategies?

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 02:41:48 am »
G., I think you're over-complicating things. Why wouldn't you just run Samut in a RG Werewolves/Aggro deck with Arlinn Kord?  You could throw in a Chandra or two for board clears and whatnot, but Samut would murder in a deck that bases itself around aggression, and the SOI werewolves can be very aggressive.

Your ideas are valid, but you don't need to go so far afield to find very valuable uses for Samut.

Although man, how did WotC think making this Bolas cheaper than the original Bolas planeswalker a good idea?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 03:19:43 am »
Well once The second half of Amonkhet comes in won't the zendikar and innistrad sets all fall out of standard rotation? I include these different variations because as you all well know, when there is a will there is a way and where there is a way there's a card to get the job done. Sometimes adding a certain color can change the whole dynamics of a deck and open up plays that most people wouldn't really think of. I don't know about you but I didn't expect to see Marvel Temur be such a powerhouse as it is in the pro circuit. Also just like Hapatra, vizier of poisons Most of the people in my local play group immediately started putting her in Aggro Jund decks. Just her very effect can enable decks built around her. As for bolas he is a "God-Pharaoh" now so maybe that's their justification for a cheaper bolas.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 04:40:49 am »
Lol but what happens to Legacy and Vintage

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 04:50:31 am »
Legacy and Vintage become more broken...... But standard keeps balance because the OP stuff falls out of rotation.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 04:51:07 am »
Legacy is my favorite

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 05:01:38 am »
My favorite is modern but I tend to play standard and commander when the opportunity presents itself.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 01:14:46 pm »
SOI and BFZ don't rotate until the first set of the next block. Hours won't rotate anything; we'll have eight full sets to play with. After that, it'll rotate so there is only six.

Standard is actually going to be pretty bloated come Hours. And it already shows, considering the size of the ban list.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 03:27:06 pm »
Another sorcery speed wrath card? hmmmm just what black needs with fatal push go figure. But play the wrath on turn 4 with bone picker and you will be fine by turn 5.. Bolis is just broken as usuall.. Marvel with Bolis will just be nuts
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me