deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] My first deck build ever (on my own anyways)  (Read 1606 times)

Freshness

• Decks
Re: [Standard] My first deck build ever (on my own anyways)
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 10:17:24 am »
I'm not sure I understand your deck.  :'(

1/ Are you trying to build energy for a kill with dynavolt tower? If so, why not add 4 aether hub as lands give you an extra 4 energies + the ability to drop a turn 2 Greenbelt Rampager.
2/ As other people suggest 24 lands + 4 attune is way too much. I would remove at least two lands as lands are not going to be the prime source of energy.
3/ You have to tap your dynavolt in order to use it making it a very slow grind of hp. Therefore, you are more likely to use your dynavolt to control the board rather than grinding the opponent's life.
4/ The bristling hydra is strong as it can gain hexproof and not because it is an energy builder.
5/ The longtusk cub have to connect in order to gain energy. You have no trample or anything else to help connect...
6/ The electrostatic pummeler is strong if it can get trample to one shot the enemy. Otherwise I see it as a dead card in your deck...
7/ Your deck seems to slow for the meta imo.

Hope this help!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:23:06 am by Freshness »
Save time: See it my way.

ManaHammer

• The older I get, the more I play
  • Decks
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 08:19:30 pm »
I do have a few suggestions for you on the deck build, and on some I was quite surprised myself:

1) electrostatic pummeler - He gains +X/+X where (x) is its power. That means that until the end of the turn his power and toughness are basically going to DOUBLE until the end of that turn for only three energy. This is where the fabrication module and the dynavolt tower are going to come into play along with the consulate turret. The turret taps, gives you energy, this triggers the fabrication module which adds a +1/+1 counter to your creature. and as you're playing your spells such as highspire infusion you can buff your creature even more with more +x/+x and +1/+1 counters. This one creature can get insanely big if you budget your mana right.

2) As far as adjusting things in your deck goes I think you should cut the heroic intervention down to 2x copies, cut both the bristling hydra and your longtusk cub both down to 3x copies each to make room for both of your consulate turrets. Lastly if you sideboard the woodweaver's knot for the highspire infusions that you need it'll be looking good.

The main question that you need to always be asking yourself is this: How often do I want to use this card? That question is important because depending on the combos you're trying to play off of (such as with your architect of the untamed and your swell of growth), that's a combo in of itself that will be good for mana ramping. What do you think so far?

I really like where this is going and appreciate everyone's notes and thoughts.

I am leaning towards completely cutting the Heroic Intervention in favor of Highspire Infusion.

Sideboard Woodweaver's Puzzleknot, drop the one bristling hydra and longtusk cub, per your suggestion. That leaves open two spots for fabrication module and two for consulate turret.

Or, I could cut two lands in place of dropping the Woodweaver's or bristling hydra and longtusk cub. Thoughts

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2017, 06:49:41 am »
  Well if you added the artifact called slab hammer then you wouldn't need as many lands. Also it's an equip so when you play it it will STAY on the field, an be given to any creature, those creatures gain +2/+2 and it will keep feeding into your architect of the untamed. But sideboard two of the heroic interventions, cut the other two cards I mentioned down to 3x cards each and slide in that slab hammer.

ManaHammer

• Decks
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2017, 06:33:53 pm »
This is what it is looking like after taking all of you suggestions. Here are my two main questions at this point.

1st, are there too many two-of cards in this deck now? I am worried it is getting thinned out and the combos may start slipping.

2nd, Freshness made a good point about the longtusk cub needing to connect in order to gain energy and I have no trample or anything else to help connect. Would they be worth adjusting my instants or adding some sideboards? Should I replace them outright? Or, am I overly concerning myself.

Again, this has been a delightful experience and I really appreciate the insight and help in building this deck.

Revision 7

Added/removed cards:
+2 Consulate Turret
+2 Fabrication Module
+2 (Main) +2 (SB) Heroic Intervention
+2 Slab Hammer

Changed amounts:
-1 Bristling Hydra
-2 Forest
-2 Highspire Infusion
-1 Longtusk Cub
-2 Swell of Growth
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 06:39:12 pm by ManaHammer »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2017, 05:55:42 am »
  1. Having two-ofs isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you can draw what you need or get through your deck quickly. You have spells and creatures that take the mana straight from the deck so that in of itself is making your deck smaller. But if you feel as though you're having a difficult time with deciding what to keep look at your deck and ask, "what can I use consistently every turn in order to further the strategy of the deck"? This will help you decide which cards that you want to keep the most.

2. Well aetherstream leopard has trample and it's a 3-drop so that's pretty good for a 2/3. Also as soon as it enters the field it gives you an energy which would fuel the fabrication module (turning it into a 3/4 with trample for 3-mana). Also fairgrounds trumpeter would be good in this deck because at the end of EACH end step it will get a +1/+1 counter if there was one placed on another card that turn. Sage of Shaila's claim would be a great substitute for your longtusk cub because you have no obligation to have to swing with it and it gives you 3 ENERGY just by entering the field for only 2 MANA., scrounging boundar gives +1/+1 counters to which ever creature you choose. Wily Bandar would be good addition to this deck because of it's indestructible factor. Also wild wanderer can give you mana straight from the deck which in itself will thin out your deck for better card draws.

Larger than life would be a great 2 drop that will give your creature a huge boost for a low cost. Nature's way will give your creature that extra trample you were looking for AND it serves as a kill spell that won't harm your own creature in the process like prey upon. That's my advice on those two questions.

ManaHammer

• Decks
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2017, 10:12:15 pm »
I think this is what I am going to go with. I will let you know how it works!

Revision 8

Added/removed cards:
+2 Larger Than Life
+3 (SB) Scrounging Bandar

Changed amounts:
-2 (Main) +2 (SB) Swell of Growth

ManaHammer

• Decks
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2017, 10:37:22 pm »
This deck has been playing really well, I greatly appreciate all the help!

The big weakness is against a really strong aggro deck.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 11:32:58 pm »
Throw in 4 Arbor Elf? It's not much on it's own but still better Ramp than none. Voyaging Satyr is good if u want the option to untap nonforest lands
Nils is the God I worship

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2017, 05:50:16 am »
 @soren841, I'm pretty sure that he is still trying to keep the deck standard. But good recommendations though.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 05:57:23 am »
Is Voyaging Satyr Standard legal? I think Market Festival or Overgrowth might be. Any could be potentially good here

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2017, 05:58:10 am »
And imo if u run green u have to use mana reflection or it's just wrong xd

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2017, 05:59:05 am »
Can u comment on the 3 Eldrazi decks I posted last night

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2017, 05:59:48 am »
As well as the deck inspired by u xP u might remember where that one came from

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 06:01:54 am »
You could also add in maybe 1 or 2 Fertile Thicket and take out 2 Forest

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 06:22:13 am »
 @Soren841, as a courtesy to the person who posted the thread, if you're going to ask for deck assistance on a different topic then perhaps you should create a new thread instead. We all want to help each other but it gets difficult adding detail to deck construction when it's hard to find the original train of thought and constructive criticism that was being built here. Nothing against you, this is something that we should all do as a "professional courtesy".