deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Hour of Devastation SPOILERZ  (Read 7525 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Hour of Devastation SPOILERZ
« on: June 14, 2017, 06:32:32 pm »

Okay some spoilerz, guys! In addition to the ones G.Moto already added.

Insight then, first off Crucible of Worlds - Creature = Rumunap Excavator. For the person that values a good ramp deck = me! I can't wait for this card, it is something that I was waiting for since Origins rotated and Nissa's Pilgrimage went. It has also got to be great for Modern and EDH players! Fetch lands return to be replayed triggering those landfalls!

Wildfire Eternal spoils a new mechanic (Afflict) which is seemingly great especially if you could give something that has it, shroud or indestructible. It's secondary triggered ability is powerful, especially if you could give your creatures skulk! (Behind the Scenes) or Menace (Graf Harvest/ Lord of the Accursed) - this card has amazing potential to be a real finisher, especially with the potency of zombies atm!

Adorned Pouncer? Now, this is an interesting card... it is a rare, with a pretty average Evergreen ability and an undisclosed new mechanic (Eternalize) for 5 mana. It is also a game day promo (don't hold out for it being great)
At first glance it appears relatively weak, so Eternalize must compensate for that, eternalize as of definition is to make something exist in perpetuity. Could Adorned Pouncer be an Insidious Mist?

Personally, I would never play this, even if it was hexproof and/or indestructible, as it doesn't give me enough for 7 mana. Assuming, I cast it and it resolves, and play the ability before someone casts Magma Spray in response to the trigger. (I assume, therefore, it might be an alternative cost, pay its eternalize cost or base mana cost.)

Abrade, a sideboard card.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:36:23 pm by Mnemosyne »

Firegriff

• Decks
Re: Hour of Devastation SPOILERZ
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:48:27 pm »
Umm... Cycle lands and/or evolving wilds with the naga cleric... Pathmaker Initiate with the zombie jackal... Oh, the fun that will be had...

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 11:47:22 pm »
Do we know what Eternalize is yet? I'm assuming not and that's why they revealed one that didn't have the explanation of what it is
Nils is the God I worship

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 07:28:41 am »
  IT's smart on wizard's part. Don't want to spoil ALL of their surprises before the set is even released. It'd give people a jump start on deck builds way too early.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 02:04:33 pm »
Good thing Tarkir rotated out, or that Naga would be insane with fetch lands and fetchable dual lands. Still, I think I'm going to try to fit that into my ramp deck. Hopefully they add a UG cycle land to the set so I can run that, too.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 02:05:35 pm »
Also, just thought of it, but the gitrog monster really doesn't have a downside now. Disgusting potential.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 03:58:37 pm »
Rumunap Excavator is going to work pretty good with the cycle lands :)
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 05:11:09 pm »
I'm new to the game, so this may happen more often, historically speaking, but this new Naga - this is *almost* a reprint of Crucible of Worlds, right? Creature instead of artifact, so slightly more susceptible to removal, but 3 mana and same ability.

No big deal to reprint a $60 card with a slight change? I love it, but lots of folks sh!t the bed over bannings "ruining their investment" on $5-10 cards.

Zuran orb, this card, and Omnath. Gitrog too, prolly. So much Landfall.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 06:35:15 pm »
  Interesting thing though, with the naga cleric since it's a creature you'll have more ways to search it AND you'll have more ways to bring it back from the grave if it were to meet an untimely end. Plus it says lands so wouldn't this work with the cycle lands? Discard a land, pay some mana, draw a new card, then play that dual color land you just discarded right to the field? That would mean that Irrigated Farmland, Fetid Pools, Canyon Slough, Sheltered Thicket and Scattered Groves could all be discarded and brought right to the field. This would help immensely in dual color or even tri-color decks. I can see a Sultai or Abzan deck running this snake. IT's going to be good.

Also with the jackal, playing it in either a Grixis control deck or even an aggressive Mardu deck would work well for it. You get to see the all out combat strategies that both White and Red can accomplish while adding the destruction of black or the field manipulation of blue. For example, play decision paralysis with him during combat then play stir the sands, final reward, floodwaters, deem worthy, electrify or even pursue glory for free. There are some very sneaky combat tricks available with this new jackal.

MagicPlayer1080

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 08:11:58 pm »
Ramona excavator + 4 evolving wilds means you have a good chance of getting ALL your basic lands out early no?

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 09:08:47 pm »

Also with the jackal, playing it in either a Grixis control deck or even an aggressive Mardu deck would work well for it. You get to see the all out combat strategies that both White and Red can accomplish while adding the destruction of black or the field manipulation of blue. For example, play decision paralysis with him during combat then play stir the sands, final reward, floodwaters, deem worthy, electrify or even pursue glory for free. There are some very sneaky combat tricks available with this new jackal.

I realize you were focusing on standard, but the 1st thing to hit my mind when I saw the jackal was ninjutsu. Either they block into a 4 butt and lose 4 life, or let the jackal through and I ninjutsu in a higher power creature and get a free spell.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 08:50:30 am »
That is a pretty sneaky strategy. And it would all work especially well in a Grixis deck. B/U/R zombie jackal ninjas :)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 09:53:35 pm »
New spoilerz up boys and girls! And these will ruin planeswalkers! Mwaha!  ;D

Notes:
Gideon's defeat = Great with Painter's Servant decks in modern + it is instant speed. There are many standard threats that are white (Gideon, Ally of Zendikar/ Glory-bound Initiate)! B/W control just got a boost.
Jace's defeat = Not so great as there is only one standard Jace and he isn't played much in the main board. Negate/Essence Scatter are far more utilitarian than this spell.
Liliana's defeat = A good card, though, would be better though if it was either at instant speed or exiled instead of destroyed, simply because of zombies.
Chandra's defeat shuts down threats from Glorybringer and the new Chandra, Torch of Defiance, at instant speed.
Nissa's defeat = the worst of the 4 in my opinion, 3 mana for something that is relatively difficult to target, enchantments are few and far between in standard. Always Watching and Liliana's Mastery are the only two that see much if any play.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 05:48:12 am »

So, I was right! The missing gods were in fact multicoloured! This one, The Scorpion God, is great, apart from being slightly expensive it is invulnerable to all but exile/counter spells. Would work great with proliferate.  :)

Hour of Revelation is pretty crazy, too,  since it can count the entire board state = 10 non land permanents for a wrath for 3 mana! Awakened decks could be in the mix!

Posted the links using my phone so they might not appear, will edit them later.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:57:11 am by Mnemosyne »

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 08:46:38 pm »
Oh my. That Scorpion God.

Flavor is on, mechanical theme fit. I like that it is not indestructible enchantments like other gods from Theros, because they have no (living) adherents / believers. Still kinda indestructible at a mana/tempo cost.

This will find a slot in my negative counter deck. I was Read the Bones -ing for card draw and felt like it needed one more way to make negative counters.