deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Hour of Devastation SPOILERZ  (Read 7536 times)

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
Re: Hour of Devastation SPOILERZ
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2017, 09:46:25 am »
@CardAgain Sweater, This is my mindset; I look at the creature archetypes and then the mechanics. If i can find something that will work with that then that's the deck I run. As far as creatures go I would love to run some zombies. Color scheme  i'm thinking either W/B, U/R, or B/G or a tri-color deck of some sort. Not entirely settled on which one, gotta see what I pull.

Ah. I am very new to limited, and my experience shows  ::) My first dci# event was just before amonkhet, and I did 2 prereleases for the new set. I was terrible because 100% of my experience was in constructed and I didn't adapt to a different format, i used rules of thumb for 60 card decks and learned lessons by losing gracefully. That, and amonkhet limited proved to be such a fast format. I did a bunch of drafts and found my way into it. I am not even close to the point where I can start with a overview of mechanics and synergies right away. I have to trim down by color and creature count, after I have a good idea on my colors then I look fancy stuff like mechanics. I mean, i like to think it plays a role in my color choices, but I wanna get better at it. HOU will be my first limited event with 2 sets so here is hoping I grow.  Sealed is a lot less pressure than draft, so I'm looking forward to that.

Doing the online simulated sealed pools, i've notice a zombie card that might slip past some people; even if you only play 4 or 5 zombies (or creatures with embalm/eternalize):

Unconventional Tactics - 2W target creature gains +3/+3 and flying until end of turn.
Its a sorcery, though - but you can buy it back for W anytime a zombie etb. Card advantage is everything in limited, right? Considering W and B stink at card draw advantage, this is a great work around for wb zombies.

I dont think its worth a damn in constructed, but for limited, I really like it.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Hour of Devastation SPOILERZ
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2017, 11:20:14 am »
Well I also go a website called mythicspoiler.com I watch as the new cards are spoiled and released and I look at the forum posts on that site as well with various people's opinions on them. Me I look at the set in its entirety, I follow the storyline and I think of the colors as their own separate bodies. Every color combo MEANS something; R/W is zealous and dynamic. Think Spartans but more Egyptian in this set. B/G is graveyard related and finding life and growth in the death of others. Like a composite box for gardening. W/B is all about the balance, like the sands in an hour glass. Eventually depending on the flow life flows from one end to the other.

Me myself I have been reading the stories following the set, learning the characters, looking at the cards and their tribes, the set mechanics that are introduced, how my main 20 color combos (the 10x Dual color guilds of Ravnica, 5x Tri-Color Shards of Alara and 5x Tri-Color Khans of Tarkir). Once I know how the deck is supposed to behave based off the colors I can then add cards that would be better geared towards that deck's particular strategies. This is more of an in depth way that I do deck building.

Also at all my pre releases I always build a 60 card deck. At the last Amonkhet pre-release I won 1, Lost 1 (due to a overtime technicality), and tied 2. So that evening was the very definition of "breaking even". But my deck, Which was a Grixis control/Mid-ranged Zombie prowess deck fought very well against and tied against the W/U control tokens, the Rakdos Zombie tokens with lord of the accursed (that I loss to), tied also against the R/G Exert deck with Hazoret, and actually won against a Mardu Zombie deck. The size of the deck isn't always what matters, it's how you run the deck and what strategies you use to get what you need from it.