deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Hour of Devastation SPOILERZ  (Read 7466 times)

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Hour of Devastation SPOILERZ
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 07:41:25 am »
For anyone who has not visited it yet Mythicspoilers.com is a great site. They have some new cards that will, in my opinion, give standard to the zombie players.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 02:59:06 pm »
So found out what Eternalize is.  Looks like Embalm.  Exile from graveyard, gwt a 4/4 black zombie token with the creature's abilities.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 04:25:19 pm »
WotC said it's a stronger embalm, but to me, the original creatures just look over-costed so far.

I mean:

Steadfast Sentinel: (3)W

Vigilance, 2/3 Human Cleric

Eternalize (4)WW

None of that seems particularly valuable. A 2/3 vigilance for 4? A 4/4 vigilance for 6? The graveyard play makes it decent, but to me, it's still over-costed.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 04:36:58 pm »
WotC said it's a stronger embalm, but to me, the original creatures just look over-costed so far.

I mean:

Steadfast Sentinel: (3)W

Vigilance, 2/3 Human Cleric

Eternalize (4)WW

None of that seems particularly valuable. A 2/3 vigilance for 4? A 4/4 vigilance for 6? The graveyard play makes it decent, but to me, it's still over-costed.

I agree that externalize is an expensive mechanic, but so was embalm. Card advantage is the key here, I believe. These eternalized creatures can eat a removal spell and come back as 4/4, much harder to deal with limited to combat. If your opponent spends a turn of mana and a card to kill a 2/3 with an ability, you spend a turn bringing that ability back on a 4/4 body. It also is a 4/4 base, considering all the ways to tribal buff zombies, and they retain their other creature types for more potential shenanigans. Have we seen an exert creature that gets eternalized? Vigilant 4/4's with an exert seems too good.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

TheRandyDeluxe

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 04:47:49 pm »

Vigilant 4/4's with an exert seems too good.

Have we seen any natural vigilance exerts that have embalm? If not, I highly doubt we will get natural vigilant exert eternalizes

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 04:59:26 pm »
The difference to me so far is that the baseline creature for embalm was fairly standard. Sacred Cat, Honored Hydra, Aven Initiate, Anointer Priest are all fairly normal stats/ability for their cost. Some of the embalm were expensive, some not, some the same. Embalm, to me, was just a flashback for creatures. Eternalize just seems expensive on both ends so far.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 10:01:15 pm »

Vigilant 4/4's with an exert seems too good.

Have we seen any natural vigilance exerts that have embalm? If not, I highly doubt we will get natural vigilant exert eternalizes

That was kinda my point. There are only 2 embalm creatures I found with vigilance. No exert creatures at all with embalm, and *obviously* none with vigilance. That wasn't what I was getting at - it would be silly of them to make a vigilant exert creature, whether or not it could be zombified, right?

No, what I was referring to is that Wizards probably caught the interaction with Aven Wind Guide's token buffing with flying and vigilance. We can assume that we won't see an exert eternalize creature happening in the new set; it also seems that we won't see a spell that allows us to embalm/eternalize creatures that do not have the ability (such as has been done for the morph mechanic), as it could be used on exert targets, with vigilance added with AWG or another effect.

Welcome to the website!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:47:13 pm by CardAgain Sweater »
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 10:44:00 pm »
It is true that eternalize is expensive, but it could work to your favor. I mean the creature does not have to be on the field in order to use the effect. Why not make a Grixis or Esper zombie deck that uses discard mechanics? This way they fit better in your mana curve and you can save them up for when you need them most.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 12:29:45 am »
It could also encourage putting in Embalmer's Tools.  Eternalize and Embalm become cheaper and the resulting zombie gets to become a mill outlet... Especially nice on opponent's end step if Aven Wind Guide is on field ...

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 02:35:48 am »
  Good point on the embalmer's tool. Also something to keep in mind, all of the eternalize creatures are tokens so any card that causes them to flicker can in itself become a kill spell. 4/4 Zombie Cat with double strike killed with galestrike or even compulsory rest would be effective against them. Floodwaters would go well with the new red zombie jackal that lets you play an instant or sorcery from your hand. That would be a great way to clear the board and cause any affliction triggers if it becomes blocked. Time to reflect would be great to have in a MARDU Zombie deck. Winds of rebuke could be good at getting rid of zombie tokens that are overly beefed up. But you have to be careful not to mill something beneficial to the opponent. Unless you plan on exiling their graveyard with watchers of the dead.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 04:05:17 am »
  Good point on the embalmer's tool. Also something to keep in mind, all of the eternalize creatures are tokens so any card that causes them to flicker can in itself become a kill spell. 4/4 Zombie Cat with double strike killed with galestrike or even compulsory rest would be effective against them. Floodwaters would go well with the new red zombie jackal that lets you play an instant or sorcery from your hand. That would be a great way to clear the board and cause any affliction triggers if it becomes blocked. Time to reflect would be great to have in a MARDU Zombie deck. Winds of rebuke could be good at getting rid of zombie tokens that are overly beefed up. But you have to be careful not to mill something beneficial to the opponent. Unless you plan on exiling their graveyard with watchers of the dead.

Fatal Push also kills all tokens for (B), since their CMC is effectively 0. Black is going to be pretty strong come Hour.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 04:01:29 pm »
Just out of curiosity, do all of the invocations for the new Amonkhet set get their own regular versions to be played? For example, The Scorpion God has an invocation version and a standard legal version. So does that mean the invocation creature lord of extinction will be getting a reprint as well? Also it looks like an eldrazi in the invocation version of the card.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 08:03:14 pm »
G., the general rule has been that the better cards from a set get the masterpiece treatment, but they also pull older cards and reprint them as masterpieces to bulk up the subset. That's why counterspell was an invocation in Amonkhet but isn't standard legal.

entropize

• Decks
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 09:57:07 pm »
I am a little surprised that the scorpion god has no real weaknesses. It is a creature regardless of the amount of red and black creatures in play. I guess its only real weakness is that it is not indestructible but with 6/5 and basically returning to your hand when it dies, it practically is indestructible. I am going to add it to my -1/1 counters deck. I wonder the other god will be, I am thinking something like a cobra or jackal to fit with probably being more corrupted than the other five gods.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 12:13:11 am »
 @ladof, thanks for the heads up, so I'm guessing that means there is no guarantee as far as the lord of extinction goes in hour of destruction? Otherwise I can see some nasty Sultai or Golgari builds revolving around that one.

@ entropize, if you look at the trailer for hour of devastation you can see a Giant locust looking creature busting through the Hekma and rampaging the city of Amonkhet (this feels like another Godzilla movie). If the scorpion king is a B/R god then don't you think that the other creatures colors will have something similar to do with their actual powers?