deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Mana source representations  (Read 731 times)

kami.inu

• Decks
Mana source representations
« on: June 20, 2017, 03:51:30 pm »
Just a thought for the mana representation when building a deck, would it be possible to make an option that shows what % of lands generate a given colour?

For example, in a modern burn deck (typically) every land can make red, but the current pie chart in the deck builder only counts duals as a half so you get some funny % that doesn't make sense.

Eg, my current list (https://deckstats.net/decks/86221/727795--current-modern-burn?lng=en) gives 22% of mana sources generating white and 78% generating red, but that's obviously not super accurate.

Nils

• Decks
Re: Mana source representations
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:39:17 am »
So you mean there should be an option to count dual lands twice (once for each colour) instead of counting them half for one colour and half for the other?

The more I think about this the more I think that would actually be the correct thing to do anyway. So maybe I should just remove the old calculation entirely instead of having both calculations available as separate options.

Or can anyone see a reason why we might need both?

kami.inu

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 07:38:12 am »
I guess having both might be something that some people like, but it's not something I tend to lean towards. Especially because you're often better off skewing towards a more even split of colours so that you have colour X available as early as possible.

I don't know how well it would work with things like dual fetches though? Strictly they don't make mana, but if I'm running 8 fetches + 2 duals then I have 10 of that source. I don't expect that there's an easy way of automatically calculating that though, so skipping over that is fair enough.

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 03:44:47 pm »
Counting each instance as one is the appropriate method for land, multi-colored cards and mana symbols.

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 12:12:19 am »
I have just updated the way we calculate mana sources. We now count lands that can produce two types of mana twice. For example, if you play 4x Blood Crypt and 4x Swamp this will be counted as 8 black and 4 red mana sources (66% and 33%), where previously it would have been counted as 6 black and 2 red (75% and 25%).

Please have a look and let me know what you think!