deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Feedback on mono-red Goblins? Thanks!  (Read 130 times)

wayneballoons

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Feedback on mono-red Goblins? Thanks!
« on: June 25, 2017, 10:55:12 am »
(Ignore the sideboard, except for Krenko. He's the general.) I've been running mono-red tribal goblins for casual play EDH since 2015ish. Always tweaking. This is my current version. It simultaneously runs Krenko and Kiki-Jiki combo strategies, while also trying to hinder opponents and defend against them long enough to get those combos off before the other players target you with all the hate.

Krenko Kiki EDH

This deck runs equally well with Krenko, Mob Boss or Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker as a commander (less need for haste cards with Kiki-Jiki). LOTS of combo pieces (infinite tokens, infinite mana, infinite mill, infinite damage, etc) and also has decent staying power. Waiting on some cards in the mail so I can swap in some cards. Krenko as commander gives the deck the illusion that it's all goblin mobs, while running Kiki as commander basically tells your opponents you've got combos with him (I prefer to hide him til needed). The deck has some mana-producing options, as well as cost-reduction for goblins via Goblin Warchief and Urza's Incubator. There's a dash of land/artifact hate (I wish I could add more!) while Stingscourger bounces problematic creatures and Mogg Infestation can double your tokens OR get rid of your opponent's creatures. Gempalm Incinerator is only to be used for his Cycling ability (which is awesome!), and Rummaging Goblin is a decent card draw critter. A number of tutors help get what you need (Goblin Recruiter + Goblin Ringleader, Goblin Matron, Moggcatcher) and Goblin Lackey and Warren Instigator can play your goblins for free if they can get through. Feldon of the Third Path lets you get back a needed goblin in a pinch. I didn't choose Aggravated Assault as many goblin decks seem to do, and instead using other cards for extra combats; if Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker is your choice of commander, I'd swap these out for something less Krenko-oriented. Swiftfoot Boots, Thousand-Year Elixer, Magewright's Stone, and Impact Tremors are included exclusively for Krenko synergy, so if Kiki-Jiki is your commander, feel free to swap them for Kiki-synergy cards, or whatever you need more of (like creatures or burn?). While I like my nonbasic land picks, they're not necessary if you have other lands you like better. Krenko's Command, Dragon Fodder, Goblin War Marshal, and Beetleback Chief are there to add tokens (I skipped on Siege-Gang Commander due to his 'high' cost to play). I picked Grenzo, Havoc Raiser for fun, but he's not necessary (I may build a different deck around him one day). If you run Kiki-Jiki I'd recommend adding more creatures and/or cards that help you stay alive long enough to get your combos faster. Commentary is welcomed!

Other Cards I wished I could include: Lightning Berserker, Aligned Hedron Network (for creature hate), Electrickery (token hate), Pithing Needle (for that one card you can't do anything about), Throne of the God-Pharaoh (for when Krenko creates hordes but can't go infinite), Brute Force (to save that one creature), Profane Memento (life gain!), more land/artifact hate, Sundial of the Infinite (seems useful to counter opponents' strategies on your turn), and Wort, Boggart Auntie (darn her black mana cost!!!).

Cards in the mail I might/might not add soon: Command Beacon (for when opponents hate on your commander), Dormant Volcano (taps for 2!), Encroaching Wastes (more land hate), Ruby Medallion (this is a must), Price of Glory (this is a must and will likely replace Tremble), Volcanic Offering (pricey to play but I really like it; however, the game shouldn't last that long for this to be needed), About Face (to save yourself or screw your enemy), Increasing Vengeance and Dual Casting (to double your effects, probably not necessary in this deck, but maybe for a Grenzo deck...), Artifact Blast (cheap and useful), Duplicant (you get to become an enemy's creature you really like).