deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: I need some advice.  (Read 2547 times)

Chronologist

• Decks
I need some advice.
« on: July 02, 2017, 09:29:27 pm »
Basically, looking at the horrible cards coming out of Hour of Devastation, I would like some ideas for cards and strategies that will help me counter it.

Should I look for creatures who have 6 toughness so they can survive? Should I run Sigarda, Heron's Grace, to stave off that enchantment that makes creatures virtually useless? And if I do that, is green/white naturalize the best route to take?

Or am I better off going blue/green so I can use Negate and other counterspells, and use the green to boost my creatures' health so they can withstand anything?

I don't know what to do. 

Soren841

• Decks
Re: I need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:36:48 pm »
Imo you should just focus on improving your best deck. Look at which cards in it are rotating out, and look for cards in the new set that would go good in it. Maybe that includes adding protection from the new set's removal, it's up to you. If you're asking something else entirely, could you restate your question please
Nils is the God I worship

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 11:47:40 pm »
 This is something that I do that usually helps:
1) look at all the color combos that the particular set is capable of playing.
2) Find a color pairing that feels comfortable to you (the most important part of this list).
3) See how it stands up against the other color pairings you came up with.
4) see which one is right for you.

Essentially the list is about looking at the options available and deciding what you are good at using. I'm good at using any deck that has Black as one of the color pairings because I can use black as either a control or destruction based color. I can make the downside of that card be a plus for me depending on how I build the deck. Whit is something that I myself want to become better at. I'm good at protecting and strengthening my creatures and Protection is something that I value. The ideals of the cards I'm comfortable with but not really the cards themselves. I'll use them if I have to.

Going off of my example you need to find what you like in this set and build off of that. You can't really ask someone what you should play because if you don't like it then that's just a wasted investment. Try looking at both the Amonkhet and the Hour of Devastation sets in their entirety, read over the cards and see what catches your appeal. Because The answer I would give you to your question would be anything ZOMBIE related. Other than that I encourage you to find your own deck and be comfortable with it.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 04:13:06 pm »
 @inigo, were you trying to recommend those cards to Chronologist? The deck he is building is going to be standard and none of those cards would be applicable.

Chronologist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 12:16:24 pm »
G. Moto is right, iñigo, but I thank you anyway.  Those look like great cards to consider were I making a new commander deck.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 01:39:58 pm »
The Hexproof that Sigarda, Heron's Grace grants to humans would not stop the red remove indestructibility, deal 5 damage to all.  It would put a temporary reprieve against you getting the curse (because you would have hexproof) but not protect your creatures being affected if you were already cursed (because the effect is not targeted).  Best bet colors would be white and green and maybe red for enchantment destruction (sideboarded in).  For the red spell, big beefy creatures (green) or control (blue) would work.  Speaking with regards to Modern, Solemnity will just wreck/ruin infect decks... Not to mention Energy and counters decks in standard.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 05:58:42 pm »
 Well there are two ways to go about this: 1) build a deck where you WANT your creatures to die in order to cause negative effects to your opponent, or 2) Create strong creatures to survive the onslaught of bolas.  I've never been one to lie down and take a beating but if you've got graveyard recursion then it'll be easier for your creatures to rise from the grave for their comeback. If you want to outlast anybody you can always try and go Abzan or Bant.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 06:36:31 pm »
G. Moto is correct, although that won't stop an uproar about Overwhelming Splendor ,Hour of Devastation and Solemnity.  I think those three cards will likely be the cause of much complaining, particularly in EDH and Modern where large amounts of cash have been spent on decks practically crippled by those three cards.  White/Black zombies with Plague Belcher, Liliana's Elite, Relentless Dead, Tattered Mummy and Wayward Servant would likely do some damage while having options to take out Overwhelming Splendor.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 07:20:31 pm »
Well - and I'm just spitballin' here - if the impact you are concerned about is Bolas, I'd say you either out-Bolas your opponent or you use the other two colors, White and Green.

Enchantments, lifegains, enchantment/artifact killers, white flyers and exilers, green ramp and reach, fight Bolas' neverending spells with artifacts like Oracle's Vault.

Cheer up! Bolas specifically advertised The Devastation would only last an Hour  :D
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 07:58:31 am »
All of those are good suggestions. So as far as the ability canceling you could always try Gideon's Intervention to stand strong against the hour of devastation. Cast out for the Overwhelming splendor, or you can Lay Claim to their enchantment and let the fun begin. Forsake the worldly will also do the trick. Winds of rebuke can also get rid of that enchantment. Failure /// Comply would be good against any of those spells, Kefnet's last word is like a cheaper version of lay claim, Saving grace LITERALLY lives up to it's name sake, and I'm amazed that countervailing winds is a COMMON!!! Also consign /// Oblivion would be nice to have copies of. But the most beautiful thing is MIRAGE MIRROR copying their Overwhelming Splendor.....the rage will be on.

Chronologist

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 12:12:06 pm »
Mirage Mirror?  I love it.  Turn the enchantment back, in a way, then naturalize away the one that's on me, so they have to deal with it, and I don't. 

Thank you.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 01:29:51 pm »
Only problem is Mirage Mirror is until end of turn.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 06:43:20 pm »
Then you have 1 turn to copy their enchantment, and to try and turn the tables on them. At that point it'd be a stale mate unless you can copy theirs AND remove yours in the same turn. That'd be the best move.

Chronologist

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 08:16:38 am »
What do you think of this deck list?

3 Scaled Behemoth, able to resist both -1/-1 counters and big enough to survive Hour of D.
3 Wild Wanderer, to generate mana.
3 Obsessive Skinner to generate +1/+1 counters, allowing a creature to survive Hour of D. It also works with the dabbling in Delirium
3 Kujar Seedsulptor to generate +1/+1 counters.
3 Noose Constrictor for air defense.  Replaces 3 Primal Druids, whom my opponents had learned not to kill in testing matches.
1 Watchers of the Dead for Delirium, graveyard exile in an emergency
3 Bastion Inventor similar to Scaled Behemoth, but a better choice for +1/+1 counters.
3 Skyship Plunderer for air attack and defacto proliferating.

1 Nissa, Nature's Artisan.  She is to be kept because her medical properties kept me alive in a test game.
1 Perpetual Timepiece for graveyard retrieval and partly for Improvise.
3 Negate they served me well.
4 Insidious Will to reflect spells back, can counter in an emergency
4 Disappearing Act intended to return Wild Wanderer/Kujar Seedsculptor/Obsessive Skinner/Nissa.

3 Appetite for the Unnatural & 2 Springsage Ritual to defend against artifacts.  Worked great on an Aetherflux Reservoir and against an attacking vehicle.