deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Zombie Prices  (Read 920 times)

HowlingLotus

• Decks
Zombie Prices
« on: July 10, 2017, 10:05:23 pm »
With the release Amonkhet there was a rise (from the grave 8)) in popularity of Zombies in Standard. This naturally affected the prices for most of the popular cards and they have been holding steady since (more or less). Kind of has me bummed out as I play Casual and EDH and it has become harder to put a reasonably priced deck together.

Can we expect some of these cards to ever go as low as their pre-Amonkhet prices? Would we have to wait for these sets to rotate out? I only got back into Magic earlier this year and I haven't had too much experience with prices as Standard sets rotate out.

Kind of bummed I didn't throw together a Zombie deck prior to Amonkhet.
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Zombie Prices
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 12:41:57 am »
Zombies went up some because of the last release but the more popular ones are usually hard to find anyway due to Zombies being a thing in the eternal formats.
This space for rent.

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 02:05:02 am »
I get that the older cards are generally more expensive due to circulation, demand, etc... but I'm talking more along the lines of cards as recent as Shadows Over Innistrad and Eldritch Moon. It seems these were some of the bigger offenders with many cards in the $0.50-$3.00 mark jumping up 200-300%+ in value since Amonkhet.

I imagine I'll have to wait for the Zombie craze to die out. I'll stop with the puns :'(.

I do welcome our new feline overlords, however, and I hope they help beat back Zombies even just a little. 

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 02:33:37 am »
The really good zombie cards r probly gonna be expensive till People figure out what works. Then either the prices go down, or people find that zombies are the best right now, and we're all unable to buy zombies till Ixalan
Nils is the God I worship

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 05:01:53 am »
I doubt Relentless Dead ever really drops too far. It's too good a card in too many formats. Other than that, most of the zombies will probably drop a little come the next set, since SOI falls out of standard. Probably not too much, though, because everyone likes having a zombie EDH or other format deck. Zombies are just easy, plus they basically have their own dedicated Planeswalker in Liliana.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 05:14:58 am »
Agreed about relentless dead.. who can say what the prices will do till we see more of Ixalan

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 05:51:06 am »
All fair points - I guess I'll hang tight until Ixalan.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 06:09:39 am »
I've got my eye on a budget zombie build for FNM.. hopefully it doesn't shoot up in price

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 10:06:34 am »
 Well when in doubt you can try focusing on obscure and old cards in order to build a decent deck. Even commons and uncommons can be impactful depending on how you play them. For instance, Liliana's elite in a zombie themed deck or Gavony unhallowed in a deck with wayward servant with even 1 or 2 copies of  dread wanderer can be a simple strategy that gets some serious plays. Bone splinters and spells that sac creatures like vampiric rites can be effective in combos since they make sure your dread wanderer dies with a bonus to you.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 10:23:10 am »
Relentless Dead is just SO GOOD.. if you like playing zombies the cost, whatever it may be, is totally worth it for buying 4 Relentless Dead and 4 Cryptbreaker

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 10:24:20 am »
I'm assuming Zombies is dead in the next rotation though, so I should start preparing a Modern legal deck

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 10:25:42 am »
zombies are far from dead. Keep in mind eternalize turns anything with that effect into a zombie and some of them have afflict which is nothing to mess with. 

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 10:34:15 am »
Yeah I didn't like that because they aren't zombies to start and eternalize is kinda expensive.. with zombies I'd prefer to end it faster than that.. like I want to be able to win long games but not rely on them

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 10:35:44 am »
Amonkhet filled in the gaps for Zombies.. but the main chunk of what it filled in is rotating out with Ixalan. Also have any of u read about what they're doing with like changing blocks and sets and stuff? I read something on it that maybe would be relevant but I didnt really get it

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 10:45:12 am »
What is it that you have questions about?