deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: HOU Prerelease July 8-9, 2017 - Brag or whine as needed  (Read 676 times)

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
HOU Prerelease July 8-9, 2017 - Brag or whine as needed
« on: July 09, 2017, 12:42:08 am »
Hour of Devastation Prerelease is here! Did you go to your LGS? Are you planning to go sometime this weekend?

This is the thread to talk about your HOU Prerelease sealed pool(s): Best pull, either in $ value or one you REALLY wanted regardless or resale value; most useless rare/mythic; what was your promo card? What kind of deck did you end up playing? See any interesting plays? How did you do W-L? Is it possible to have more fun for $20?

I went to midnight and noon sets today. Both were packed (over 100 people), and had a blast losing nearly all my games :)

I didn't pull any big $ cards (Solemnity, a few other $3-5 cards), and at that level for prerelease those kind of cards usually only go down in price; my promos were refuse // cooperate and champion of wits. I didn't get any of the four or five I had my eye on but with such a small number of packs that is to be expected. Pulled one mythic, Samut, The Tested.

First pool I had to splash blue to a wb zombies deck to get enough playable cards. Lost every game but one with that deck but the games were always with my opponent also down to 5 or less. Reliable, but not that much power until you can get in oketras name down with a wide enough board. Also, Aven wind Guide.

Second pool, with Samut and only creatures with power greater than 3 in red and green, my choice was made easy. Only color fixing was the gold filter desert, so I really couldn't splash for a 3rd color and none of the creatures were worth it. No combat tricks in rg in my pool, so I had 6 red burn spells and ran 6 deserts to make use of ramanup ruins burn for 2 ability. Lost every game, and had a blast. Very long games, with board positions destroyed and rebuilt. In most games I had the upper hand for the first half of game, then slowly opponent stabilized as I ran out of cards. Samut is terrible, even in limited - its quite possible I'm not maximizing sorcery speed double strike for a single creature.

That's my tale of woeful pools and a ton of fun had while losing (flavor victory as this set is all about ass-kickery)!

Share your story of Prerelease Hour Of Devastation here! If you haven't gone yet, check out the wizards of the coast website to find an LGS near you - you can still go tonight or tomorrow!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:44:34 am by CardAgain Sweater »
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

ladof

• Decks
Re: HOU Prerelease July 8-9, 2017 - Brag or whine as needed
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 01:18:02 am »
Didn't get to go (celebrating my 10 year wedding anniversary is slightly more important, lol.)

I am curious, for those that did, how did the set play? What did you see work and what misfired? Did anything surprise you?
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:19:48 am »
Didn't get to go (celebrating my 10 year wedding anniversary is slightly more important, lol.)

Congratulations on your anniversary to you and your partner!

I am curious, for those that did, how did the set play? What did you see work and what misfired? Did anything surprise you?

Two black 2 drops made a bigger impression than i thought: Ruin Rat and Vile Manifestation.

Ruin rat is a great board staller with deathtouch keeping big expensive creatures of your opponent from combat, but I found opponents rarely wanted to trade small creatures to avoid losing a targeted graveyard card. (Some of the same effect from that 1/3 feral cat - opponents didn't want to give me a draw card so I kept pinging for 1) With 2 rats out, you can attack with 1 and block with another an whittle down life total in early rounds.

Vile Manifestation can be sneaky. 0/4 with +1/+0 for every card in gy with cycling. It's easy to forget about thismlittle bugger as the gy slowly fills with cyclers (hint: they don't have to be cycled to count). This combined with the desert that gives +3/+3 or the desert that mills 4 can be terrible. Say they have 2 cyclers in gy and Vile Manifestation on the board. Activate milling desert on themselves (sac a cycling desert), and put maybe 2 more cyclers in gy now its a 5/4. With that green sac desert, it would be a 6/7. Opponent had a dedicated cycling deck, so the mill had a good chance of hitting 2 or more cyclers.

Heres another twist i saw that I hadn't considered yet: As long as you have mana, you can keep changing what the mirage mirror is. Artifact removal doesn't work on enchantments or creatures, so if it is in danger, change to a different type to make it an illegal target - costs you 2 mana, costs them a card and the mana to cast it.

http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:12:41 am »
I've saved up about halfway to a new commander deck.. im debating spending it all at the prerelease instead. Is it worth it?
Nils is the God I worship

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:10:24 am »
pre-release is worth it. I'll post how BOTH the events I went to go after tomorrow. I'll be going to the one on sunday as well as the midnight release that I already went to.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 09:12:37 am »
So it's worth spending my $40 that I have saved for my $80 commander deck? What about saving for my zombie deck instead.. especially since it doesn't have may HOU cards in it

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 09:13:19 am »
I don't wanna spend all my money on it then realize I didn't really need the cards ya know

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 05:49:50 pm »
I'm not sure where you go to but I only spend 20-25 dollars for my entry fee. I might spend extra if I get the duel decks or get cards off of other people while I'm there. But it's a good event to go to, it gives you a chance to play against many people and everyone is on the same level playing field. Also it teaches you to think on the fly and truly be creative when you literally have to build a random deck from random cards. Also this is a new set so you're bound to get some cards that people are definitely going to want. Also a good commander deck you can slowly construct that and shape it up without having to invest too much money into it. As long as you know HOW you want your decks to run then the only hard part is finding the cards themselves.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 06:29:23 pm »
I don't have an entry fee bc I don't do draft ;D I know I'll lose. I just buy like a prerelease pack thingy

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 09:15:10 pm »
Some other experiences from the prerelease; remember, prerelease is a sealed limited event, and in this thread that is how we judge cards from AKH/HOU:

Saving Grace: this card was WAY more useful than I thought it would be when I included it as my 24th card, and it is all about the Flash aspect.

For the low, low cost of 1W, you transfer all damage done (to you and creatures) in the rest of the turn to a target creature you control which gets +0/+3. The +3 to toughness will almost always be irrelevant, but if you can hold up 2 mana while you attack with all your creatures, you are safe from a massive retaliatory strike next turn when your creatures are all tapped out. (Hint: the target creature taking all the damage doesn't have to block - beats afflict - and can be a tapped creature from your attack last turn). I was able to attack with my whole board after my opponent was tapped out, both creatures and mana,  without worrying about blocks next turn. I attack with all; opponent's next turn, seeing my tapped down creatures ignored my 2 mana left up. Swings with everything, leaving his board open for my next turn, emptying hand and tapping mana to make it lethal. After saving grace transferred all damage to a warrior token, I was able to untap and swing with everything for a 2nd turn in a row, ending game.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:18:31 pm by CardAgain Sweater »

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 10:36:01 pm »
I played wb zombies in 2 pools, not outstanding cards but if you get a critical mass of zombie creatures and 'cares about zombies' trickery cards you can assemble a formidible, grindy, board stalling deck:

Unconventional tactics - it is ridiculously easy to have enough zombies entering the battlefield that this card does not stay in the graveyard for long. +3/+3 and flying on a...say a baleful ammit (lifelink for 7) is devastating in limited, then salt is poured in the wound when a 2 drop zombie is resolved in the post combat main phase, returning unconventional tactics from gy to hand. 3 mana sorcery speed should probably keep this from being an addition to competitive standard zombie decks, right?

Ammit Eternal - 5/5 for 3 mana. This card always made my opponent stop and really think about blocks and what afflict changes things, how many spells they may cast to weaken it. I think the power of this card is in the uncertainty, meaning it adds so many variables that can help to fuzzy an otherwise clear choice for an opponent. It can make them cast creatures in 1st main phase  (to add a -1 counter to ammit), use up instants that should be saved for later, etc.

Time to reflect - this is path to exile for wb zombie deck, but opponent doesn't even get a basic land. I would put this in any wb zombie deck I played in limited, standard, or whatever. I used this in every game i drew it. Can't see how this will not be a $1+ uncommon.

Accursed horde - kinda spendy at 4 mana for a 3/3, but the 1B activated cost (no tap required!) gives indestructible to one of your attacking zombies (including itself) is extremely useful to protect zombie lords or fatties from double blocks or nonexile (and not negative counters) removal, or in conjuction with saving grace as a no loss fog.

Mummy paramount - this one is a little reduced in power as you have to have the zombie enter precombat to take advatage of the +1/+1 till end of turn, but with so many zombies at 2cmc and under in this block, I found it useful several times. I believe my opponents overestimated the card's strength as they discovered the decks zombie focus, so it ate up removal which is a good quality for a 'just-ok' 2 drop 2/2.

Unraveling mummy - aside from replacing one that was removed, multiples of this card don't help any more than 1. Lifelink or deathtouch to an attacking zombie for 2 mana at instant speed is nice. The limitation to attacking creatures keeps this from being a probably broken card. Used it all the time as a form of control when I attacked, as opponent knew any zombie could get deathtouch, then if they didn't block I could add lifelink instead. Just a really useful creature that also ate up removal.

If wb zombies was ok before, my initial experience in the akh/hou limited format says it will only get better - maybe substantially so.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:51:44 pm by CardAgain Sweater »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 12:40:07 am »
Mirage Mirror with Exert creatures was pretty much ballgame at one of mine. Pretty nasty combo I lucked into.

Other one I forced myself into going Izzet because I opened The Locust God and two Bloodwater Entity's. went 2-2. Didn't have any removal in any colors but some card draw and buffs in those colors so it's probably the best I could went anyway.

Edit- spelling is not my friend.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:19:57 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 12:59:41 am »
Ok so I've finally posted all of the decks that I used at my pre-release events so here they are:

Deck #1
Grixis (3 wins /2 loss /0 Draws)
https://deckstats.net/decks/24826/767569-burning-affliction

The Gixis deck is what I used at the midnight release. At the pre-release sunday I actually had enough cards to build 2 decks. So since my other deck is technically my side board I was actually able to switch in between decks to see how they played out in between games.

Day 1
Grixis (loss) This was a mirror match that did not play out in my favor. The opponent had loads of removal and exile spells an even had torment of hailfire. The majority of the game he was either exiling, destroying or even stealing my creatures with kefnet's last word.

Naya (loss) This game was more comical in the sense that I had a funny person to play against. His deck revolved around a form of camel tribal where deserts mattered. There were many puns as I was constantly making sure that his Solitary camel was the ONLY creature on his side of the field (word play is fun :)

5 color (win) this was actually an interesting game where my opponent was the father of the person that I loss to the first round. He had a 5 color deck but the majority of both games he was running jeskai colors with his creatures and combat tricks. He was a little rusty but he had scarab god (glad he didn't play it) and samut the tested (which he did play) and somehow I made it out alright. Flyers really do help.

Abzan affliction (win) this game was probably the tougher of the two for me to win. The opponent utilized his Ammit eternal very well where I had to deal with the affliction and the life loss of his throne of the god pharaoh (he had multiple creatures on the field including cat tokens due to his pride sovereign). Thankfully I had enough kill spells to wipe out his recurring effect creatures even when he used endless sands to save them. It was a hard win but I earned it.

Deck #2
Abzan (1 win/ 3 loss/ 0 draw)
https://deckstats.net/decks/24826/767594-surviving-the-desert

Deck #3
Jeskai (1 win/ 3 loss/ 0 Draw)
https://deckstats.net/decks/24826/767580-kefnet-s-lineage-

So these two decks I interchanged between games to bait out and test the opponent's decks. The strategy worked as far as learning about the other person's decks but My abzan deck ran slower than expected. I probably should have cycled more because at time i did get mana flooded a lot. The Jeskai deck ran great and had some saving plays. But when the opponent has mass removal, spot removal or strong aggro creatures it's hard to maintain a board state. The deck runs good, victory kinda depends on what its up against.

Day 2
Azorious (win) This was my first win of the day. My abzan deck actually played well against this opponent because despite being tapped down and banished it maintained a board against the opponent's smaller creatures. That ended when the opponent was playing flyers and angel of condemnation. That's when I switched to my jeskai deck and it stole the next games with it's combat tricks and prowess triggers.

Jund (loss) This was a game that both of my decks loss to. Going up against highly aggressive monsters, -1/-1 counters and even double copies of hour of glory were able to push me back. The abzan deck was too slow with me getting mana flooded and the jeskai deck had creatures that were too small to block the bigger creatures.

Bant trample (loss) This had a similar out come the last match where big creatures took the game. The main difference is that the bant deck actually had flyers and exert triggers that worked well with creatures such as aerial guide and rampaging hippo. There was some good cycling in this deck where having big creatures played out to the opponent's advantage with their sifter wurm.

Dimir embalm (loss) this was an interesting game where my opponent's tempo wasn't very strong until he brought out the scarab god. This really changed the game because by embalming creatures such as glyph keeper to create more zombies was a good way to utilize his god card's effects. Also his sunset pyramid put in some work and even consign /// oblivion were good choices in his deck build. It was his first win that entire day so despite losing it still made me kinda glad to know that everyone had a chance to enjoy the day.

So after much anticipation this is how my pre-release weekend went. If you ladies and gents have any comments on my deck builds let me know. And before anyone asks, yes they are all 60 card decks (61 in one deck's case) and no it did not hurt my play ability against other people's 40 card decks. In fact most of my decks had the graveyard matters going on where I would embalm, eternalize, after math and even desert triggers. I purposefully made my decks larger so that as I played I could discard and mill myself as I need to with limited worries of milling myself out. My decks kept their pace and being able to run through my decks with cycle, discard and scrying to see what i needed help my decks keep pace.