deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Deck Changes for Hours of Devastation  (Read 479 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Deck Changes for Hours of Devastation
« on: July 11, 2017, 06:44:47 am »
So what changes are you making to your decks because of Hours of Devastation?

Mine for EDH will be as follows:

* Daxos of Meletis (pillowfort voltron control hybrid)
Solemnity for Sphere of Safety (will give me a new answer for counters matter commanders, Sphere was kind of redundant with Ghostly Prison, Norn's Annex, and Propaganda all in the list)
Angel of Condemnation for Medomai the Ageless (flying for flying but cheaper and with an interesting ability, Medomai usually ended up just being a blocker though the extra turn ability was used from time to time)
Nimble Obstructionist for Disallow (same ability but on a body plus draw a card, thanks!)
- with inclusion of SolemnityConqueror's Flail for Umezawa's Jitte (without counters Jitte is useless)
            Lonely Sandbar for Remote Farm (again, counters...)
            Rogue's Passage for Saprazzan Skerry (should of always been in the deck but....)
            Dark Depths for Plains (ehh, why not)
            Thespian's Stage for Strip Mine (Strip Mine hasn't been doing much work lately due to the meta)

* Saskia the Unyielding (Shadowborn Apostles- was Karador previously)
Razaketh, the Foulblooded for Defiler of Souls (tutor on an imposing body)
Apocalypse Demon for Malfegor  (torn on this one but looking for a replacement as Malfegor doesn't carry his weight at times)
Torment of Hailfire for Debt to the Deathless (don't gain the life back but easier casting cost and this deck can produce enough mana to make it a win-con.

* Purphoros (ping)
Neheb, the Eternal for Pentavus (really want to test this ability out)
- World at War for Ricochet Trap

* Skullbriar (counters matter and then matter some more)
Hour of Promise for Melira, Sylvok Outcast (Melira has been a dead draw since the infect craze at my LGS has died out....again)

Sidisi, Brood Tyrant will likely get some new toys as well (I'm looking at you Ramunap Excavator and The Scarab God), but I'll have to playtest with them to figure out what to take it for them...likely will be Planeswalkers as I'm finding myself taking them out of almost all my decks).

Nothing directly that looks to be guaranteed a spot in Animar, but I'll likely playtest The Locust God in him out of curiosity since I got one at the pre-release. May also give Majestic Myriarch a whirl in him just to see if he can be a way to take out another opponent the same turn Animar is knocking someone out. Mirage Mirror will probably also see some play-testing in other decks since it has some definite potential.

So 10 cards out of this set will find homes in EDH decks, with a few others being play-tested. Not bad at all.

Haven't looked at the set from a Modern aspect yet.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:59:04 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Chronologist

• Decks
Re: EDH Changes for Hours of Devastation
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 03:44:39 am »
I'm not actually changing my commander decks around Hour of Devastation yet, due to not actually having any cards.  When I'm able to, I'll make a new commander deck to negate Hour of Devastation stuff.

I did make a standard deck in hopes of withstanding it, but that's not what you're asking, is it?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: EDH Changes for Hours of Devastation
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:54:21 pm »
Any deck changes was really what I meant, I mentioned EDH simply because that and Modern are mainly what I play though things may be taking a turn at work (finally having the help I need to where I'm not there 85+ hours a week) where I can get back into Standard.

I was able to pick up a majority of the cards I was interested in for EDH at the pre-releases I went to between lucky pulls and some trading.
This space for rent.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
Re: Deck Changes for Hours of Devastation
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 07:56:45 pm »
So what changes are you making to your decks because of Hours of Devastation?

Mine for EDH will be as follows: [cut to save space when quoting]

Upvoted for detail! Thanks for sharing your ideas; your comments fleshed out why you were making the changes, and helped me see how some of those interactions might apply to my decks.

Changes I am considering (I have fewer established deck that could be impacted by a new set  :) )

-1/-1 counter deck, Minus One-derful - obilisk spider looks like a good fit, and it is just a question of which 3 drop card to sub out. Reach is big as flyers can go over this deck pretty easily. If this enters the battlefield, it should get at least 5 triggers in this deck. Ammit Eternal will probably get a try as 3 cmc is a good price for a potential 5/5 - but the deck is usually played in a multiplayer casual format, so it's drawback is fairly sure to see it not survive a trip around the table in later rounds. Also in this deck, the scorpion god would solve any card draw problems, which is badly solved currently with read the bones and temple of malady. That would require a shift to add red to mana base, which opens up another can of worms with red wither and red removal, specifically -1/-1 counter-based removal,  and we got good black -1/-1 counter-based removal in this set. I'm thinking of converting this from casual to edh, and that would let me play em all with an bgr commander (adun?).

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:58:43 pm by CardAgain Sweater »
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 12:16:24 am »
Nekusar, the Mindrazer will have some fun with Fraying Sanity...

As to my Anafenza, the Foremost... Solemnity has me concerned.  Either I need to get more enchantment killers in there orIneed to switch it to creature hate ala Mindcrank and Bloodchief Ascension.  And hate in many forms for creatures being killed...

Nickadimoose

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 07:54:15 am »
I'm adding in a very satisfying interaction from the new set that's made me quite happy! Trophy Mage ---> Gate of the Afterlife --> God Pharoah's Gift. I ran this interaction in a deck on Friday and it's satisfying to start grabbing crap from people's graveyards on turn 4. Turn 5 if you have to get Gate of the Afterlife with Trophy Mage. Also my favorite fun interaction for the night my opponent wasn't expecting, thanks to some Mirage Mirror action! Glorybringer swoops in on his turn, attacks, doesn't exert. On my turn I mirage mirror Glorybringer, attack opponent, exert to do the additional 4 to kill Glorybringer. Mirage Mirror pops back to being an artifact again at the end of turn. Pure happiness.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 04:18:53 am »
As to my Anafenza, the Foremost... Solemnity has me concerned.  Either I need to get more enchantment killers in there orIneed to switch it to creature hate ala Mindcrank and Bloodchief Ascension.  And hate in many forms for creatures being killed...

One of my play groups is debating banning Solemnity. It shuts down so many commanders and so many strategies. Yes there's ways to answer it and almost everyone plays some type of enchantment removal in their decks but most builds I've seen with it include Greater Auramancy which only makes matters worse.

I took it out of my Daxos deck (haven't updated the decklist on here yet) but it made me too much of a target & hindered my own deck by taking cards out of it that were better than what replaced them (Umezawa's Jitte for Conqueror's Flail for instance). Combine that with the people playing the commanders it shuts down (Anafenza, Animar, Skullbriar, Marath, Polukranos, etc.)- some of which don't have more than one or two decks- and it just became problematic for some in the group.

I still have it in another deck, I just don't play the one it's in with that particular group.
This space for rent.