deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Earthquake vs Planeswalkers  (Read 452 times)

Borg

• Decks
Earthquake vs Planeswalkers
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:29:37 pm »
If I cast an Earthquake, according to the Planeswalker rule 306.7, I can redirect that damage to a Planeswalker that opponent controls instead.

Q : can I redirect the damage dealt to myself to a Planeswalker of mine as well ?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:31:20 pm by Borg »

Mishra

• Decks
Re: Earthquake vs Planeswalkers
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:31:21 pm »
I am pretty sure this won't work since only an opponent(!) can choose to redirect direct damage from a source that he controls (!), that would be dealt to you, to a planeswalker you control. And you will never be your opponent.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:35:47 pm by Mishra »

Borg

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:56:21 pm »
Well, in more straightforward language, the rule is that the player who is the SOURCE of the non-combat damage gets to decide whether he wants to apply the damage to his opponent or to a Planeswalker controlled by that opponent. In the simple case of a Lightning Bolt, it's pretty clear how this works.

But in case of an Earthquake he is also the Source of non-combat damage dealt to himself, so I was wondering , can he redirect that damage as well ?

Mishra

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 05:16:06 pm »
The player itself is not the source of the damage.

A player can control the source of noncombat damage.
And only an opponent gets the choice to redirect noncombat damage from a source he or she controls to a planeswalker the other player controls as a replacement effect.

You are never your own opponent. So again, you never get the choice to redirect noncombat from a source you control to a planeswalker you control
Neither can your opponent decide to redirect noncombat damage from a source you control to a planeswalker you control.