deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Mulligan  (Read 365 times)

lysdexicnick

• Decks
Mulligan
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:43 pm »
In a standard tournament, what's the most mulligans you'd recommend before just staying altogether? Like hypothetically you have 3 crappy mulligans. When would a pro stop mulliganing?

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
Re: Mulligan
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:33:21 pm »
In a standard tournament, what's the most mulligans you'd recommend before just staying altogether? Like hypothetically you have 3 crappy mulligans. When would a pro stop mulliganing?

I believe this is one of those questions that has to be answered with the obligatory 'it depends on the deck'.

For a deck with 20 lands that needs 3 to really go off, mulliganing a 2 land hand then trying to get 3 lands with one fewer cards is another chance, but one with less likelihood of success than your first 7 cards.

There are lots of other examples - combo pieces, curve, etc.

It is an age old question that applies to everyone, but each case is very individualized. I know that didn't help much. Do you play one deck more often than others? If so, you could post it and members can comment on mulligans for the specific deck.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:57:12 pm »
Well if you're original hand is bad, as well as 3 mulligans.. then that's just an issue of consistency in the deck, if you can't hit a playable hand after 4 tries
Nils is the God I worship

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 03:25:29 am »
I agree with Soren. If you're mulliganing that much, you really should take a look at your deck. I know its slightly different for constructed over sealed, but realize that each time you mulligan, you're giving away card advantage. Two mulligans is basically a free mind rot for your opponent (although the cards don't hit the graveyard.) If you can't consistently hit a decent hand in two tries (original draw + mulligan), you might want to take a good look at the whole of the deck and figure out ways to tweak it for improvement.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

lysdexicnick

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 03:57:47 am »
Got it. No, so my mana flow for the deck i was thinking of is 33% mana and my average mana cost is like 2.93, one card higher than 5 mana (at 6). I was doing "starting hand" for my deck and got 0 mana, 1 mana, 1 mana, 1 mana and i was like wtfrench toast, i have 33% mana this should not happen. I know it's very unlikely, but I was just curious for that particular scenario i suppose.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 04:11:33 am »
33% in a 60 card deck is 20 land, have at least 21-22
Nils is the God I worship

lysdexicnick

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 04:23:55 am »
I'm stubborn and so I refuse haha. I know it's bad but I am a risk taker >=)

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 01:48:29 pm »
I do that too, Lys. I've made one deck with 24 lands  (ramp, where it's really needed.) Everything else is 20. I still have games where I flood out, but I also have games where I'm starved. That's a card game for you, though. There's always a little bit of randomness you can't get rid of.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Goon

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 06:46:54 pm »
I do that too, Lys. I've made one deck with 24 lands  (ramp, where it's really needed.) Everything else is 20. I still have games where I flood out, but I also have games where I'm starved. That's a card game for you, though. There's always a little bit of randomness you can't get rid of.

Just a note - 20 land is very light.. Like, most aggressive decks (highest mana card being 3, a 1 or 2-of) run 20 land at minimum.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 07:04:53 pm »

Just a note - 20 land is very light.. Like, most aggressive decks (highest mana card being 3, a 1 or 2-of) run 20 land at minimum.

I agree that 20 lands is very light - it is not just about average cmc and curve. Always consider probability as well. Even if a deck is monocolored, only plays untap lands, and "only needs 3 lands", when you play 20, you will only get 3 lands 43% of the time in your opening 7 cards (27% = exactly 3, 16% = more than 3, and 4 or more lands in opening 7 would probably be considered bad in a deck that only wants 20 lands total).

That means over half of the opening hands in a 20 land deck would have 2 or fewer lands. With only 33% of the deck being land, statistically speaking, one should only expect one land for every 3 draws. That is not digging out of a mana hole very well.

So, mulligan to 6 on opening hands with only 2 lands in a 20 land deck?  The chances of getting 3 lands with 6 cards drops to 31%.

If you are ok with starting at 2 lands and banking on drawing more, 20 lands could be the right number. But math says add a land or two if you want to avoid having to mulligan to get the right amount of land to start a game.

Everybody is different  :) Makes the game fun.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac