deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] Grixis Control  (Read 471 times)

lysdexicnick

• Decks
Re: [Standard] Grixis Control
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 11:55:12 pm »
That sounds pretty awesome, unfortunately I live in the stone age and do not own a webcam :P

Anyway, for some more relevant discussion to the deck, I am considering removing either the Dark Intimations or 1 of the Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh to bring The Locust God to the maindeck. Not sure, but I will probably test over the weekend. In the one game I cast it, The Locust God felt extremely powerful, easily single-handedly turning what would have been a loss into a win. It's just another finisher option, so who knows, it might just even be better as a second Torrential Gearhulk...

the locust god + pull from tomorrow = oh yes.

Loykuaza

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 12:34:38 am »
sweltering suns is always good to have as a one of for early game/zombies, you can always cycle it away, definitely maindeckable over doomfall which is a nice sideboard option for dealing with bristling hydra and gods and such.
Also I suggest these subtle changes:
-1 doomfall(to SB) +1 sweltering suns
-1 essence scatter(lot of removal already) +1 negate or disallow(planeswalkers/protection or best counterspell of the format)
-1 hieroglyphic illumination +1 pull from tomorrow(the card is so strong it amazes me everytime)
Then you have indeed the need of more consistent finishers, between adding one or two locust god but you will need more gearhulks the card is just the raison d'être of control right now.
For making space you could do this:
-1 nicol bolas god pharaoh, -1 unlicensed disintegration(enough removal already), -1 supreme will(don't get me wrong, the card is good, but you just need 3 for balance since you already have counters and draw)
so either simply jam in:
+3 torrential gearhulks or
+2 torrential gearhulk +1 the locust god or
+1 torrential, +2 locust

Hope I helped someway! ^^

bulgymilk

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 04:45:57 pm »
Hey Loykuaza, thanks for chiming in!

I think the issue I have with Torrential Gearhulk is the number of Abrade going around. Makes him a lot less reliable as a finisher (though he functions just fine as a Snapcaster Mage still) So I don't think I want too many copies, though 2 might be correct over 1.

You might be right on moving Doomfall to the sideboard, I wanted to test it out in the main because it has a lot of utility in many matchups. I haven't really seen the need for Sweltering Suns in my meta, though it can vary pretty wildly from week to week, so who knows :P It is pretty good against the Monument decks and Zombies.

I have definitely been thinking of removing the Hieroglyphic Illumination, but I don't know if a second Pull from Tomorrow is what I want to replace it with. I feel like 1 is usually enough, and occasionally have 1 in hand with like 6 other cards and I never need/want to cast it (though the synergy with The Locust God (and The Scarab God for that matter) might change this opinion)

Not sure I agree about Supreme Will, I'm always happy to draw one, and it's never bad having 2 in the hand.

I messed around with the numbers a bit, here's a second revision!

Deck: Grixis Control v2

Thanks again for the input! Very helpful indeed! ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 04:59:36 pm by bulgymilk »