deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Upcoming tournament  (Read 516 times)

lysdexicnick

• Decks
Upcoming tournament
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:45:08 pm »
Hi ppl. I'm going to play in my first standard tournament this weekend and I was wondering if anyone had tips or suggestions to do well and to have fun. BRing anything in particular or do certain things to make sure games are played well? Anything that comes to mind that you feel is important for a tournament noob to know.

Soren841

• Decks
Re: Upcoming tournament
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 10:49:55 pm »
Think extra about stuff before u do it, at FNM 2 days ago I had a couple moves I wanted to take back like a second after I did them
Nils is the God I worship

lysdexicnick

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 11:58:43 pm »
Think extra about stuff before u do it, at FNM 2 days ago I had a couple moves I wanted to take back like a second after I did them
how about shuffling? is there a proper way to shuffle or cut? any socially unacceptable ways to do either? lol

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 11:59:38 pm »
Lol my way isn't socially acceptable.. unsleeved and bridge shuffle for me lol

lysdexicnick

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:02:15 am »
hahahaha okay so i won't be concerned. can you switch cards from sideboard between games or only matches

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 12:03:29 am »
Not sure 🙈 My SB is one card

lysdexicnick

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 12:04:28 am »
LOLOL link me your deck i wanna see

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 12:05:15 am »
I play for fun ;c

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 12:07:17 am »
http://deck.tk/56lN9s2I I do have a Standard legal deck tho xd just one.. in pretty sure SB only between matches

lysdexicnick

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 12:07:34 am »
o0o0 haha me too!

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 02:01:43 am »
Play your deck over and over again until you are comfortable with it.  Know your strengths and weaknesses, but make sure you enjoy how it is playing, too.  I could run the same deck as someone else with much less efficiency, just because it isn't my play style (for instance, I do not run Control decks exceedingly well.  Not terrible with them but I run aggro decks better on average).  Have some means to track tokens and life totals, whether with an app, paper or dice.  Bring some friends if you can.  Laugh, joke around, whatever between rounds and be open to others joining your shenanigans.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 02:06:47 am »
hahahaha okay so i won't be concerned. can you switch cards from sideboard between games or only matches

You can sideboard after each game in a best of 3 round, and inbetween rounds. Don't worry about shuffling, etc. As long as it is good enough for you and you are not cheating by looking at your cards, manaweaving,  or overshuffling to slow things down, no one should care. Focus more on having fun than little hangups or any faux pas; most players won't care enough to say anything - and if they do, well advantage to you as you have them offgame and flustered before even playing :)

Things I would recommend:

Bring paper and pen to record your life AND your opponent's; spindown dice can roll off the correct number very easy.

Don't just reach out and grab another players cards or deck. You have the right to cut a deck and read a card, but wait for them to offer the deck for a cut (then request it if they don't offer), or ask to see a card and let them pass it to you.

When in doubt, ask for a judge, it is why they are there. It not only makes things go faster and more fairly, there is zero chance of grumbling about it afterward.

If you are going to bring a sleeved deck and sideboard, bring a few extra sleeves in case some rip.

Put a quarter, or a little toy - anything really - on top of your deck inbetween draws. It will remind you to check your upkeep before you draw so you don't miss beneficial triggers. I didn't do this at first and it definitely cost me a few games not taking a point or two of life at upkeep over a few rounds. I don't need it anymore, but it helped a lot at first to remind me.

If you have any, bring a small amount of good cards you may want to trade while you wait inbetween rounds. The more you bring, the more you have to look after so it doesn't get lost or stolen.

If your deck needs tokens, bring them. I have lost games before when I confused which facedown basic land represented a 1/1 warrior and which was a 2/2 flying drake. Also, if you use +1/+1 counters in your deck, bring some dice to keep track of how many are on each creature.

Bring something to drink and a snack, or $ to buy something at the event, its gonna be hours.

Good luck!
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 03:06:47 am »
What's manaweaving

lysdexicnick

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 03:12:24 am »

You can sideboard after each game in a best of 3 round, and inbetween rounds. Don't worry about shuffling, etc. As long as it is good enough for you and you are not cheating by looking at your cards, manaweaving,  or overshuffling to slow things down, no one should care. Focus more on having fun than little hangups or any faux pas; most players won't care enough to say anything - and if they do, well advantage to you as you have them offgame and flustered before even playing :)

Things I would recommend:

Bring paper and pen to record your life AND your opponent's; spindown dice can roll off the correct number very easy.

Don't just reach out and grab another players cards or deck. You have the right to cut a deck and read a card, but wait for them to offer the deck for a cut (then request it if they don't offer), or ask to see a card and let them pass it to you.

When in doubt, ask for a judge, it is why they are there. It not only makes things go faster and more fairly, there is zero chance of grumbling about it afterward.

If you are going to bring a sleeved deck and sideboard, bring a few extra sleeves in case some rip.

Put a quarter, or a little toy - anything really - on top of your deck inbetween draws. It will remind you to check your upkeep before you draw so you don't miss beneficial triggers. I didn't do this at first and it definitely cost me a few games not taking a point or two of life at upkeep over a few rounds. I don't need it anymore, but it helped a lot at first to remind me.

If you have any, bring a small amount of good cards you may want to trade while you wait inbetween rounds. The more you bring, the more you have to look after so it doesn't get lost or stolen.

If your deck needs tokens, bring them. I have lost games before when I confused which facedown basic land represented a 1/1 warrior and which was a 2/2 flying drake. Also, if you use +1/+1 counters in your deck, bring some dice to keep track of how many are on each creature.

Bring something to drink and a snack, or $ to buy something at the event, its gonna be hours.

Good luck!

wow thanks man!! i really appreciate it! Quick q: if I get to look at their hand for whatever reason, can I write down the cards on the paper so i dont have to memorize "what they have in their hand?"
And also I'll let you know how I do :P

thanks!

lysdexicnick

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 03:13:29 am »
What's manaweaving

basically setting up your deck so that you always have the amount of mana you want by the way you shuffle. counting cards basically.