deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: The Stack  (Read 350 times)

lysdexicnick

• Decks
The Stack
« on: July 25, 2017, 01:22:28 pm »
If I cast a spell during my turn (say, a sorcery), am I allowed to cast another spell on top of the stack before it resolves even if my opponent doesn't respond to it?

Soren841

• Decks
Re: The Stack
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 02:01:00 pm »
Yes but the first spell on the stack is the last spell to resolve
Nils is the God I worship

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 07:20:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure that you cannot cast a sorcery if something is on the stack. You can cast a sorcery, then, before it resolves, cast an instant or flash spell.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

lysdexicnick

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 07:27:02 pm »
I'm pretty sure that you cannot cast a sorcery if something is on the stack. You can cast a sorcery, then, before it resolves, cast an instant or flash spell.

that's what i meant. the only things that can be added to the stack after a spell are spells with flash or instants, but you answered my original question as to whether a single player can cast spells on the stack without another player casting a spell on the stack.

calebbw

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 08:52:36 pm »
Yes, you can cast spells on the stack above your initial spell if they can be cast at instant speed. However, if you cast a spell then pass priority to your opponent to see whether or not they will respond, and they in turn decide to do nothing, you will not have a chance to add to the stack at that point. Your initial spell will resolve and you'll receive priority. Basically, you have to cast everything that you want to be on the stack in one go; otherwise, your opponent can decide not to respond and everything will begin resolving.

On a side note, if your opponent does decide to respond, you will receive priority again once they have passed it to you, and in that case you may add spells and abilities to the stack. Also, if multiple spells on the stack are resolving, priority will pass between every player after each resolution starting with the active player (you in the given example) and each player will have a chance to respond and add more spells and abilities to the stack.