deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] Blue black artifacts  (Read 263 times)

Skellon1313

• Decks
[Standard] Blue black artifacts
« on: July 26, 2017, 10:04:30 pm »
Blue black artifacts

Play low mana artifacts to get herald of anguish and or metalwork colossus out.

Any feedback, suggestions or criticism would be greatly appreciated!!

Soren841

• Decks
Re: [Standard] Blue black artifacts
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 10:06:55 pm »
Less one ofs. Also Urza's Bauble Mishra's Bauble Thopter Bone Saw etc
Nils is the God I worship

bulgymilk

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 10:22:11 pm »
@Soren841 This is a Standard deck, Baubles aren't legal. Also Bone Saw is terrible.

On to the deck. It seems a bit all over the place. If you're trying to get out Metalwork Colossus and Herald as fast as possible, you need to have 4 of each of them (to increase the chance that they'll be in your hand when you want to cast them) Also, they kind of want different things. Colossus wants a few big artifacts, like Skysovereign, Consul Flagship, Hedron Archive, Cultivator's Caravan etc. so that they can come down early. Also if you are playing with Colossi, Sanctum of Ugin is one of the best lands. When you cast a Colossus (ideally for free), you can sac all your Sanctums to find all the other Colossi in your deck (and also cast them for free!) I also like to end the chain with an Elder Deep-Fiend, as a way to save the Colossi from exile removal or push past a stalled board (when emerging from a Colossus, EDF only costs 2 blue)

Dinky creatures that aren't artifacts (like Dhund Operative) don't really advance either the Colossus or Herald plans, so I think they are unnecessary.

So you need to focus more on what you want your deck to do.

Also Prophetic Prism is one of the best artifacts for a Colossus deck. Also Glint-Nest Crane is great. Also Fling.

I'll leave my Metalwork Colossus list here for reference, maybe it will help guide your process. (It has somewhat of a combo angle with Paradox Engine/Morbid Curiosity/Aetherflux Reservoir, which is quite fun, but not the easiest to play)

Display deck statistics

Okay hope that helped! ;D

Skellon1313

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:37:12 pm »
@bulgymilk  Thanks for the advice, I actually have 4 Prophetic Prism and 2 Gilt-Nest Crane in my side board that I haven't added on here yet.  I added the Dhund Operative simply because I felt like I was getting too heavy on the artifacts and they have life link so I thought they had value.  This deck is built just from cards I have opened which is why I only have 2 of the heralds and 1 colossus.

@Soren841 thanks for your comment as well.  The 1 ofs are again because I built it from opened packs and haven't bought any singles yet.  I knew this was a weak part of my deck.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 11:11:44 pm »
I'm just listing 0 cost artifacts that I can remember >-> and bone saw is good in that it's a 0 cost artifact, which can help investigate improvise or affinity for artifacts
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:13:21 pm by Soren841 »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:15:10 pm »
Also even though the deck is sort of based on the colossus somewhat I wouldn't have 4 because it's so expensive, even with its ability.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:16:34 pm »
If u ever go into modern, Mycosynth Golem would be great

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 11:43:50 pm »
0 Mana artifacts will not help in reducing mana cost if casting colossus; they help with improvise, and the thopters can block, but I wouldn't bother with them.

I think trying for both Herald of Anguish and Metalwork Colossus is not ideal: Herald wants lots of cheap artifacts, and colossus cares about cumulative cmc cost of artifacts on battlefield.

You may consider ditching the colossus and keeping herald. Pair with dhund operative, syndicate trafficer animation module, servo schematic, . I have played against a deck with these combos and its powerful. You could add reverse engineering if you focused on improvise.

If i was playing this deck, I would be worried I did not have enough interaction, and without enough interaction, I don't have enough smaller creatures as fodder to let me last long enough to assemble pieces on battlefield.

What do you see as areas of improvement for your deck?
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 12:04:46 am »
@CardAgain I thought metalwork colossus was something else tbh 🙈

Skellon1313

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 12:12:23 am »
So I have a line on two more Herald of Anguish so I think I will build on those and remove the colossus.  I don't know exactly what you mean by interaction.  I was concerned I had too many artifacts/creatures and not enough sorcery/instant etc.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 12:20:57 am »
Interaction is things like thoughtseize

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 02:03:48 am »
  I don't know exactly what you mean by interaction.  I was concerned I had too many artifacts/creatures and not enough sorcery/instant etc.

By interaction, I meant cards that are in the deck to mess with your opponent in some way - it could be counterspells, targeted discard, creature killing or exiling. You have 6 counterspells (i missed negate on my first look at your deck), that is not bad interaction; but being in black you could run fatal push or grasp of darkness. You may consider dropping some of the other counterspells and replacing them with 3rd and 4th copies of metallic rebuke.

On second look, your interaction isnt bad, it just skews towards blue and is a little more mana costly. I think you'll like focusing on herald of anguish over colossus.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac