deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: My first Modern deck - advice for improvement?  (Read 939 times)

Hoppeltrottel

• Decks
My first Modern deck - advice for improvement?
« on: August 11, 2017, 12:49:01 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/58688/786309--budget-stomping-beasts

Hi folks, any advice on this brew is welcome.
Please click the overview tab for a deck description.

Thanks in advance.

Soren841

• Decks
Re: My first Modern deck - advice for improvement?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 03:53:55 pm »
This is my deck
Deck: Current Deck
Also has the win with giant creatures strategy, I know it's not legal for Modern and Ulamog + Emrakul r expensive but everything else is fairly cheap

I also have a beast Tribal deck
Deck: Beast Tribal

And a hydra tribal deck that really loves +1/+1 counters
Deck: Hydra Ramp +1/+1

Hopefully these give you some ideas on improvements :)
Nils is the God I worship

Hoppeltrottel

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 11:44:57 am »
Thanks for your answer, but I was hoping for detailed comments on my individual card choices, regarding what's hot and what's not in Modern. ;-)

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 03:59:23 pm »
Sorry lol I will go over ur deck but I like to provide inspiration so you can do more on your own.. I don't want to like do it for u ya know

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:02:18 pm »
I think you need a bit more ramp.. I'm not sure all about what's legal in modern but wild Growth like effects.. Gift of Paradise, Overgrowth, etc. and stuff like Arbor Elf and Voyaging Satyr go very well with them

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 12:06:24 am »
What's your win condition for the deck? You have a few decent sized creatures, but nothing that's going to be truly threatening until late and even then it's mostly a fatal push away from dying  (that hydra has a cmc of 1, so it's always pushable.)

Ramp decks need something overwhelming to threaten with to be deadly. Any of the Eldrazi titans, trample hydras, venderious gearhulk, etc. Something that hits the board and makes your opponent scoop, because they've got no answers to it.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 12:09:25 am »
Fatal push is only big in Standard I think, there are so many other better removal spells in modern

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 12:11:36 am »
But same idea. I recommend Archetype of Endurance to deal with that, sideboard Prowling Serpopard for control.. Emrakul and Ulamog are great finishers and you can use Worldly Tutor to go grab them when it's time

Holtaz

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 12:20:35 am »
Hey there, you need response, remember that you never play alone and in modern your opponent may make you want to burn your own deck after the match, if you want to go full mono green, you should play some staples to control, accelerate or ramp, green is good with ramp, if you use ramp, exploit it, use big badass creatures, or game-changing spells, I don't want to tell you what to play, since I don't play green too much, but if you encounter a blue player, how are you going to play if every creature you cast is countered? If you are playing against a black player, how are you going to keep your creatures from being destroyed? If you play against a quick deck (like burn for example), how are you going to stay alive long enough to play your own threats? Good luck and welcome to the modern format, where every new set forces you to adapt to new threats ;)

zackatakr

• UB at heart, Naya Zoo on the Battlefield.
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 01:06:34 am »
Fatal Push is actually becoming somewhat of a staple for black in some decks, but I've never seen more than 3 at a time. I would still count on both it and Dismember in anything that needs it.

My first question would be is whether or not this is specifically a casual or a modern format deck. That dictates which cards would be recommendable. It would be very beneficial to look for getting the most bang for your buck in this case. For example, instead of having a vanilla Kalonian Tusker, you could get Garruk's Companion (3/2 for GG and has trample) or Snapping Gnarlid (2/2 for 1G, and gets +1/+1 until EOT whenever you play a land). Also, I would recommend more ramp as well. Llanowar Elves, Whisperer of the Wilds (personal favorite), or if you're feeling like you want to splurge a little price-wise, Birds of Paradise and Noble Heirarch give you access to other colors if need be. This would open you up a little more to playing Beastmaster Ascension, Vigor, Stomper Cub, Bane of Progress, Baloth Woodcrasher, Chancellor of the Tangle, etc. I would also mainboard 4-of Blossoming Defenses. Hexproof is kinda good, and its a pretty good combat trick. Prowling Serpopard is great protection if you're a more creature-focused deck, but it isn't a beast. Obstinate Baloth and Thragtusk are great additions, and I think you have a good number for mono-green stompy.
Naya Zoo
Grixis Delver
UG Infect
Modern Mardu Threaten
UR Ensoul Artifact
Meren Combo
Prossh, the One Hit Wonder
Bruna, Light of Aggrochantments

zackatakr

• UB at heart, Naya Zoo on the Battlefield.
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 01:19:24 am »
It would also be a good idea to go look on mtgtop8.com. They posting winning decklists from all kinds of tournaments, so it would be smart to go look at what other kinds of strategies people are using. In addition, Tolarian Community College (youtube channel) did a video a while back about a budget Mono-Green Stompy deck, so that would be worth a glance to get some ideas.
Naya Zoo
Grixis Delver
UG Infect
Modern Mardu Threaten
UR Ensoul Artifact
Meren Combo
Prossh, the One Hit Wonder
Bruna, Light of Aggrochantments

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 02:02:08 am »
Fatal push is only big in Standard I think, there are so many other better removal spells in modern

Fatal Push is kind of like Path to Exile. It's going to be in Modern for a long time. One mana removal, even somewhat conditional removal, is very strong and very desired. There's a reason it's still an ~8$ uncommon. I agree with zack. Take a look at some top 8 lists. You don't have to copy them, but they'll give you an idea of what to look for in a deck you're building, even if you don't want to drop the cash for the most expensive things, you can use cheaper substitutes if need be.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 02:04:08 am »
It's the promo card for September ;D Fatal Push

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 03:49:14 am »
Sweet, I need to go to one FNM apparently for one. I have three from packs, but could never get a fourth.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 03:50:40 am »
Hoping to sell $$$ ;D ;D pay for the Hapatra EDH deck I posted that no ones commented on