deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Planeswalkers rule change  (Read 1220 times)

ladof

• Decks
Planeswalkers rule change
« on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:42 pm »
So they're changing how planeswalkers affect the field. You can now have 2 Jace as long as they aren't the exact  same (so no double Jace, Unraveller of Secrets, but that Jace can share a board with Jace, memory adept.)

That should make superfriends decks more viable. Should be an interesting change.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Nabantius

• There is always a greater power.
  • Decks
Re: Planeswalkers rule change
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 12:30:36 am »
I think that is a doble edge sword, the only thing we have is to wait and see.
Nabantius

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 05:14:10 am »
It will open up possibilities. I wanted to make a counter deck with numerous Ajani, but it wouldn't work due to only 1 of them on the battlefield at a time. I want to explore that again now that it is an option to have 3-4 on the board at once.

Oops All Gideons! will be OP now.
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:46:05 pm »
I definitely think this rule will affect modern more than standard, especially since Ixalan will rotate out BFZ and SOI blocks. It will push the planeswalker decks a bit more, since they'll be more viable having both on the board over one or the other.

Vensa4790

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:00:42 pm »
Will be interesting to see Liliana of the Veil and Liliana the Last Hope being on the field at the same time. I also can't wait to tribal Gideon show up.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:04:47 pm »
That is nuts, just think of the 3 Gideon combo's in standard before standard actually rotates. Wish they stop fixing stuff that isn't broken
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 12:27:38 am »
That is nuts, just think of the 3 Gideon combo's in standard before standard actually rotates. Wish they stop fixing stuff that isn't broken

The rule change doesn't go into effect until Ixalan comes out, so BFZ and SOI blocks will rotate. There will only be 2 Gideons in standard when the rule change goes into effect, the same as Liliana, Chandra, Tezzeret and Nicol Bolas. Jace has one (the Ixalan one), as does Samut, Ajani, Dovin Baan and Saheeli Rai.

Surprisingly, the 'walker with the most versions in standard will be Nissa with four (!). Nissa, Steward of Elements, Nissa, Genesis Mage, Nissa, Vital Force and Nissa, Nature's Artisan. UG Nissa deck!

Vensa4790

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 03:10:53 pm »
True true, but I think out of all the Nissas the only 2 that will see the most standard play are steward and vital force. I myself don't ever play standard but that's just my 2 cents.

Modern though I excited to see how Gideon of the Trials and Gideon Jura will play out in a control shell. I also wonder if legacy players will be willing to add Jace Beleran to the decks that run Jace the Mind Sculptor. I think it could be interesting to see the two work together with the brainstorm ability and all the card draw 3 drop Jace offers but I could be horribly wrong haha as I only have just begun my journey into Legacy play.

keif tasty

• The Tastiest Keif from the bud
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 03:37:38 pm »
If i understand correctly ... this means ANY planeswalker can be a commander in EDH now?
Sprinkle me over the top

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 04:25:22 pm »
Commander says a legendary CREATURE may be your commander.. I don't think that changes
Nils is the God I worship

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 07:24:34 pm »
They specifically said in the article that planeswalkers could only be commanders if the card specifies it. Otherwise they cannot.

And I just realized that I didn't link the article because I was on my phone.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ixalan-mechanics

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 02:28:18 am »
If i understand correctly ... this means ANY planeswalker can be a commander in EDH now?

In a perfect world, or a kitchen table setting, but unfortunately no  :'( .
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

sticky9blade

• Quality memes and quality dreams.
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 03:29:57 am »
Also somewhat relevant: If a Gideon (or any other planeswalker) becomes a creature, it retains its legendary status. I haven't found anything super game changing regarding this except possibly getting bounced by a Karakas, but something to keep in mind for the future.