deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: The Best of Ixalan  (Read 779 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
The Best of Ixalan
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:20:08 pm »
For this list, I am only including rares. I am sure you can agree there are a few uncommon cards that are pretty good.

TEN

I was deciding on which place to put this card, it at least deserves to be in the top ten, in a world without the sheer destructive power of the Eldrazi, post-rotation. This is essentially Gaea's Revenge, but costing 1 less to cast and with trample replacing haste. Having a mechanic that enables you to 'ramp' cards (Explore) you've got yourself a nice dino-feast.

NINE

Torpor Orb on a stick? Pretty much shuts down ETB triggers in a Standard format rife with ETB triggers *cough* Panharmonicon *cough*

EIGHT

Whilst not offering any immediate benefit, other than a 1/1 body for 1, it reminds me a lot of Cryptbreaker. It's late game, having the ability to shut down recursion whilst giving you a scry/land advantage or counters.

SEVEN

This is something that I knew I would see, and not Vraska, but an instant exile card in black, one that would replace, Murder or Anguished Unmaking. Whilst this only targets creatures or planeswalkers, it gains you two life, with the downside of casting an additional 1 mana.

SIX

This is a great enchantment and one I hope I see played in constructed, simply because it gives you a card advantage for every spell or ability that targets a creature you control and it only costs 1. Beware Fan Bearer!

FIVE

I like this card, whilst it gives your opponent an extra land drop/ card advantage, which can be a major drawback, it is a 3/3 for 1 much like Greenbelt Rampager without having to rely on energy. All you need to do is run this in a mill deck and trigger Archive Trap from your hand.

FOUR

Getting more interesting as we go down the list. We have Thalia, Heretic Cathar who has evolved into a flying dinosaur, now that's Darwinism for you. What I like about this card is that it is a 2/3 flyer, unlike Thalia who was a 3/2 with first strike, this can escape Shock or Magma Spray making it more versatile. Whilst it doesn't allow you to tap down nonbasic lands your opponent controls it is nonlegendary which means you can run multiples.

THREE

Treasure Map is a fun card, whilst it doesn't do much to the board state, it does allow you to scry the turn it comes into play. Two turns later it flips to create an additional land with three treasure tokens that you can sacrifice to draw cards. Now, remember, this allows you to sacrifice any treasure tokens, that includes the ones created by other cards, meaning, not only can you tap for any mana you can sacrifice them to trigger abilities or draw cards. A nice little incentive to start treasure hunting.

TWO

Now, this was a little unprecedented, did they intentionally remake of Dark Confidant? I am interested to see the kind of impact this card has in standard play as well as its cost! This has a downside, rather than an upkeep trigger you have to have attacked before your endstep, which means that not only are you forced to attack to trigger its ability you can really only play your card advantage the following turn, providing that card wasn't an instant.

ONE

Drum roll, please! The King of the Merfolk. Well, that's Lord of Atlantis, but this in a Merfolk deck screams value for the extra 2 mana it costs to target Merfolk you control. This really is an excellent addition to Modern Merfolk decks as well as Merfolk Tribal in Standard!

Let me know whether you agree, or what you consider to be the top ten so far!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:21:16 pm by Mnemosyne »

ladof

• Decks
Re: The Best of Ixalan - So far
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 12:40:42 am »
Nice list so far. I might say that, in a (standard) world with Nicol Bolas and thr planeswalker rules, Vraska's Contempt bring instant speed walker removal might be a bit higher value sided. Black control has a LOT of tools, even with rotation.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:31:47 am »
Goring Ceratops will probably end up as a finisher.  But I'm going tobe on the lookout for Primal Amulet.  Great for spellslinger decks to begin with, it will be a game changer once it transforms to Primal Wellspring...

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 02:43:54 am »
Thanks for posting the pictures - someone's gotta do it, and I appreciate it.

My #1 so far is the green 1 drop enchantment: Shaper's Sanctuary. Green is becoming the card draw color. Targeted removal, 'can't block' abilities, negative counters, tap down abilities or spells, bounce, blink. They all draw a card. Paired with Attune with Aether, that is a possible eight 1 drops to help any deck running green to churn through deck and ensure land drops. RG Pummler, GB energy, WG lifegain, Temur Energy, GR Ramp all stand to benefit in standard, I don't know enough about other formats to judge accurately.

The 2W flyer that taps creatures is great, I think. Half of Authority of the Counsuls on a 2/3 flyer. Good against Ramunap Red and any vehicle deck that survives rotation.

Treasure Map will be a big card in Standard, I think. It will work in any deck, doubly so in a deck that makes other treasure tokens.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:46:01 am by CardAgain Sweater »
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:50:40 pm »
Nice list so far. I might say that, in a (standard) world with Nicol Bolas and thr planeswalker rules, Vraska's Contempt bring instant speed walker removal might be a bit higher value sided. Black control has a LOT of tools, even with rotation.

Aye, you are no doubt right, but Ruinous Path, Grasp of Darkness, Dark Salvation, Anguished Unmaking are all rotating. There are few that target planeswalkers specifically, other than Never // Return or cards that exiles them.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 07:12:32 pm »
Entrancing Melody
XUU
Enchantment - rare
Gain control of target creature with converted mana cost X

Grand Theft Ballista for UU!
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 02:51:16 pm »
Entrancing Melody
XUU
Enchantment - rare
Gain control of target creature with converted mana cost X

Grand Theft Ballista for UU!

Unfortunately, they can just ping you in response, by removing walking ballista's counters. 

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 04:20:43 pm »
Okay, these are my Top 10!  :D

ladof

• Decks
Re: The Best of Ixalan
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 05:10:14 pm »
Do we know which walkers are deck walkers and which ones are from packs?
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 05:53:49 pm »
Ashes of the Abhorrent is definitely gonna be big in vintage o.o fml
Nils is the God I worship

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 06:00:05 pm »
Hualta and Jace are the deckwalkers.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 06:17:43 pm »
Do we know which walkers are deck walkers and which ones are from packs?

Yeah, these two as Firegriff mentioned