deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Common & Uncommon Ixalan Staples  (Read 383 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Common & Uncommon Ixalan Staples
« on: September 07, 2017, 10:15:08 pm »
Nothing gets me more excited than low-cost common and uncommon cards to start making constructed decks. Let's have a look at a few worth mentioning!

Let's start by saying Unclaimed Territory and Pillar of Origins reminds me a lot of Cavern of Souls albeit without the powerful secondary ability and is also very similar to Ally Encampment. Very useful for 2/3 colour tribal decks. I've added Sentinal Totem because it is essentially Relic of Progenitus, with scry replacing the card draw. However, it is here because there is still a lot of recursion in Standard, and Dredge is still potent in Modern, so... choices!

I know what you are going to say... "What! two 5 drops! Are you insane?!" Okay, so the reason why is... why the f**k not? Deadeye plunderers is a lot like Master of Etherium without being an artefact, it already has a base power and toughness of 3 and has the ability to generate mana tokens. With Tezzeret the Schemer I am sure you can find a way to cheapen the cost. Then we have Raging Swordtooth 5/5 with trample... hang on... what that?! It has an ETB trigger that deals 1 damage to each other creature, whilst this is pretty useless, unless you wanted to target all 1/1 vampire tokens your opponent has been spawning. Here is the thing 'enrage' most enrage triggers off damage, dealing one damage to your own dinosaurs will trigger 'enrage' and, oh boy! Here comes the fun! Rigjaw Raptor? Ranging Raptors? all the raptors? Then we have this beautiful Merfolk, Shapers of Nature that just combo's off your Merfolk counters tribal deck.

Wildgrowth Walker is an Elemental of value that is a 1/3 for 2 and combos off explore triggers. Adding counters and gaining you 3 life!
Okay, next we have a potent artefact/enchantment removal spell, instant with card draw. Useful, especially in this seemingly enchantment heavy set. Drover of the Mighty is useful, it is essentially a 3/3 with a dino for 2 and taps for any colour mana.

Lightning Strike is something I had hoped for, especially after Incendiary Flow rotates out, and it is an instant.
Raptor Hatchling is a 1/1 who creatures a 3/3 when it dies? Value!

Kitesail Freebooter is going to be useful, 2 mana for a 1/2 flyer that gains you knowledge of a player's hand and allows you to exile it, albeit temporarily. Wanted Scoundrels? Seriously 2 mana 4/3 with a downside of your opponent getting two treasure artefacts? Pfft, who cares! Oh, and Duress? Of course, you are back! Because it wasn't enough to have Harsh Scrutiny as a 1 drop...

Finally these lovely blue cards! What's that 'OP'T you say?! Yes, that is basically a chilled out version of Serum Visions, oh wait... it's instant speed. My mistake! I bet most, if not every blue deck will have at least a playset of these. card draw and scry?
Favorable Winds, a card that makes flyers great again! Just don't tell that to Windstorm. 2 mana for a 1/1 boost to all flyers, definitely a card that will see play, especially since it will encourage a lot of multicoloured creativity. It also works well with Storm Fleet Aerialist a flying creature that comes into play with a 1/1 counter if you attacked before you play it, which will get an additional 1/1 from Favorable Winds. Finally, Deeproot Waters, I love the flavour of this, as well as its function to generate 1/1 merfolk with hexproof? Yes, please!

ladof

• Decks
Re: Common & Uncommon Ixalan Staples
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 02:20:24 am »
Favorable winds in an aven wind guide embalm/eternalize token deck. Mmmmm....
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 02:37:42 am »

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 02:51:44 am »
Opt - The Second Sun Approaches a lot faster with this beautiful card.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 04:44:39 pm »
Opt - The Second Sun Approaches a lot faster with this beautiful card.

Chart a course is going to help, too. 2 mana draw two, even with a drawback, us really good.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.