deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Legacy] Lord of the Unreal - Illusion Tribal  (Read 1139 times)

Borg

• Decks
[Legacy] Lord of the Unreal - Illusion Tribal
« on: September 17, 2017, 05:05:48 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/51702/805178-lord-of-the-unreal

Strategy :
Illusions assault through Aether Vial.
Lord of the Unreal boosts them and provides Hexproof.
Spend your mana with Unnatural Selection.

Unnatural Selection can
1- protect Lord of the Unreal by making him an Illusion
2- turn opponent's creatures into illusions, thus pumping Krovikan Mist.

Opening you're looking for :
T1 Aether Vial / Seal of Removal / Phantasmal Bear
T2 Standstill / Unnatural Selection

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:27:00 am by Borg »

Borg

• Decks
Re: [Legacy] Lord of the Unreal
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 11:56:29 pm »

Revision 26

Added/removed cards:
-4 Labyrinth Guardian
+2 Counterspell

Changed amounts:
+2 Phantasmal Bear

Borg

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 06:43:21 pm »
After going through the probability numbers it seems to me that 17 islands may actually be a sweeter spot than 18. I'll replace that one Island with a Daze and see how it goes.
3 islands out of 17 gives me a 49.9% probability T2 and 58.6% T3. That's OK in case I get a Temporal Adept that soon.

To be continued.

Revision 27

Added/removed cards:
+1 Daze

Changed amounts:
-1 Island

Borg

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:43:59 pm »
Going even tighter on Islands but my draws have worked out so far.
If I can drop two lands to start I'm good.
If I need to go up to 17 land again I'd drop a Phantasmal Bear.

Revision 28

Added/removed cards:
-1 Daze
-2 Temporal Adept
+3 Boomerang

Changed amounts:
+1 Counterspell
-1 Island

Borg

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:58:01 pm »
This deck needs creatures more than counters, thus ...
Next on the depth chart : Labyrinth Guardian

Revision 29

Added/removed cards:
-3 Counterspell
+4 Labyrinth Guardian

Changed amounts:
-1 Boomerang

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 01:04:25 pm »

Borg

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 01:47:49 pm »
I had Mutavault in there up to version 20 but then took them out for a couple of reasons.
1- Mutavault unusable for many spells : Lord of the Unreal, Boomerang, Phantasmal Bears, Seal of removal ... but mainly because
2- Temporal Adept needing UUU to activate.

However, Temporal Adept has been removed since ( too slow and often unnecessary ) ...

meaning I could indeed go back to Mutavault ... instead of Labyrinth Guardian.

Mutavault is uncounterable and gives me another threat together with Phantasmal Bears that can be played before or without triggering Standstill.
It can boost Krovikan Mist and gives me something extra to do with my mana.
It gains +1/+1 and hexproof from the Lord.

Thanks for bringing it under my attention again.

Revision 30

Added/removed cards:
-4 Labyrinth Guardian
+4 Mutavault

Changed amounts:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:56:09 pm by Borg »

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 01:22:46 am »
ciao XD...my suggestion is add 3 counter turn one like daze or maybe spell pierce...in legacy a lot of player discard your cards or sacrifice your creatures!!!!

Borg

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 10:48:39 am »
Hi LoggiuLove,

This deck wants to play Aether Vial, Phantasmal Bear or Seal of Removal on T1, so mana will usually not be available to play Spell Pierce on T1.

Daze is a possibility but I have 4 Force of Will and I don't know what to cut for Daze. Maybe I could go to 3 Bears and 3 Seal of removal and add 2 Daze ... not sure I'd want to make that change, though.
Getting a potential threat out T1 seems more important to me than having an unreliable counter ready.

Against sacrifice/removal I run Seal of Removal.

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 11:05:29 pm »
2 daze instead of 2 unnatuaral selection that is useless and it's also more pretty XD

Borg

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 11:24:00 pm »
2 daze instead of 2 unnatuaral selection that is useless and it's also more pretty XD

Unnatural Selection useless ??

With Daze I can counter ( maybe ) once.
Unnatural Selection can counter every targeted removal spell thrown at the Lord as long as I have 1 mana for it, which I usually do. It can even stop Abrupt Decay.
On top of that it can boost my Krovikan Mists by turning opposing creatures into illusions.

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 12:31:48 am »
ok.....

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 07:02:40 pm »
I suggest to take a look at my old melfolk deck:
https://deckstats.net/decks/54477/604690-merfolks
Even though it isn't an illusion deck, there are a lot of similarities with your list.
In particular:
I suggest a couple of Cavern of Souls, which would have almost no impact on your mana base, but provide some spare uncounterability to your creatures.
I would move Seal of Removal and Boomerang to your sideboard (you should have one) in order to make space for other stuff.
Also, Boomerang is suboptimal here because of its double blue mana, there are a lot of equivalent spells available with a more efficient casting cost (I for instance use Echoing Truth).
I personally think the number for Standstill is 3 instead of 4 and I'd definitely add 3 Daze as already suggested.
You should now have space for more illusions, if you don't find anything satisfactory you could always put Brainstorm in.

Borg

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 11:26:36 am »
Hi Crimsonking,

I assume I don't have to tell you anymore I appreciate your input, which is usually excellent.
On to your suggestions :

I suggest a couple of Cavern of Souls, which would have almost no impact on your mana base, but provide some spare uncounterability to your creatures.

I took a look at your deck, which is, as you mentioned a pre-True Name Nemesis Merfolk deck.
I noticed you run two Cavern of Souls. I have room to run two as well but the main difference between the decks is your Merfolk deck has 26 Merfolk. Every creature in your deck can benefit from the cavern.
My Illusion deck has only 12 Illusions, including 4 Phantasmal Bears which are unlikely to be countered anyway. The ones I like to get in play the most, the Lords, are Human Wizards and the Mimics are Shapeshifters to begin with, so, I'm not sure I would get a lot out of adding a couple of caverns.

I also noticed that now that I added the Mutavault again, I have too much land.
I'm going to take out two Islands. That will bring my Island base to 14 and with the double blue requirement for the Lord I'm hesitant to go any lower than that.

I would move Seal of Removal and Boomerang to your sideboard (you should have one) in order to make space for other stuff.
Also, Boomerang is suboptimal here because of its double blue mana, there are a lot of equivalent spells available with a more efficient casting cost (I for instance use Echoing Truth).

I think we may be touching now on some of the finer points of the deck.
Overall, I'd say that a merfolk deck has more raw power and is more aggressive than this Illusion deck.
The illusion deck also wants to be aggressive but it plays somewhat lighter, somewhat more subtle because it doesn't have all the +1/+1 straight up boosts that the Merfolk have.
It has the Lords to boost P/T but the Mimics boost only those who enter play after them, not those who came before.

Only the Krovikan Mist is elusive and can be pumped considerably, so in general, I'd say the Illusion deck wants to safeguard its creatures somewhat more than a merfolk deck.

That's where the Seal of Removals come in.
They are a T1 drop who are used as a counter to removal spells.
At the same time they can bounce ( preferably costly ) opposing creatures to gain tempo advantage or to remove a deadly blocker.

In the absence of an Aether Vial or Bear in my opening hand, I'm also perfectly alright with this opening,
T1 Island - Seal
T2 Mutavault - Standstill

I understand where you're coming from though with regards to Seal of removal. It's not a real power card.
I don't think I've ever used it in another deck but in my plays so far I haven't regretted yet drawing one as I can usually do something with it that far outweighs their 1 mana cost.

The Boomerangs are my two fail-safe cards.
I always try to have at least two cards that can take care of a potential death-lock.
What happens if an opponent manages to put a Worship on the table or a Platinum Angel or anything of that kind ?
The merfolk deck can't get rid of those cards once they have hit, not before sideboarding anyway.
That could be the subject for another thread : do you account for situations like this main deck or not ?
I guess arguments can be made for both.

At the same time they can offer some protection to my permanents.

The reason I don't use Echoing Truth here is that I don't want to bounce all my Lords or all my Mists in play when I just want to save one from destruction.

I personally think the number for Standstill is 3 instead of 4 and I'd definitely add 3 Daze as already suggested.

You could be right on the 3 Standstill vs 4.
So far however, I've been always very happy to see one in my opening hand and it's usually my T2 play. Certainly if I can start with a Vial or Bear on T1.

I tried Daze yesterday instead of the Seals.
I had a Daze in my opening hand and it was dead in my hand all game.
I drew a second one later on.
If both had been Seals I would have been able to remove the two strongest opposing creatures which would have allowed me to attack with my 4 Illusions instead of having to hold back.

It was just one game though, so nothing conclusive should be drawn from it yet but it wasn't a success.

So, I agree with your statement that both decks draw some comparisons but I think that both play rather differently.
Removal may be less necessary for the Merfolk as they get pumped up better and just attack, take their losses and play reserves whereas the illusions are not as pumped up and need to be able to remove a few blockers from the board.

As always, looking forward to your suggestions.
And thanks for taking the time for it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 11:38:22 am by Borg »

Borg

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 11:47:41 am »

Revision 32

Added/removed cards:
+2 Labyrinth Guardian
+2 Daze

Changed amounts:
-1 Boomerang