deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] Midrange Jund Dinos  (Read 281 times)

Niko Haight

• Decks
[Standard] Midrange Jund Dinos
« on: September 20, 2017, 09:29:33 am »
Deck: Jund Dinosaurs v.2

Midrange strategy focused on capitalizing the powerful synergy of the big-body dinosaurs. The deck is equipped with many answers to meta calls to make short work of potential early Standard. The removal/control package needs to be adjusted accordingly. To accompany our big bodies we are equipped with many burn spells to help finish out games.

After some brief testing I cut some cards I was not terribly impressed with and tried to tune it up a bit and make it more efficient overall. This build seems to support the overall plan of the deck a lot better without losing any of the utility, as well as cutting down on some of the black costs. Currently mostly looking for help tuning up the mana base. In most of my games I haven't had too many problems getting my mana early on, however I think I have just been lucky in that regard and I worry about not being on green early enough in future matches. It is important to get out Drover of the Mighty as early as possible as it really makes the deck fire off like crazy. It's a tricky mana base because of the fact that we want 1 black on turn one but then immediately after want green as well, and by turn three, or four at the latest, we want double red. Drover helps a lot with fixing, but seeing as there are only 4 in the deck we aren't always guaranteed we'll get it.

Chandra, Torch of Defiance has really impressed me so far and I'm enjoying having her in the deck. I'm adding Vraska, Relic Seeker to this build as it has been recommended to me many times and I have seen in it in other dino builds floating around. However that is not something I'm entirely sold on just yet, though it does seem quite interesting. Vraska seems incredibly strong, but what she does for this deck specifically just feels a bit slow.

The dino package I have in here is pretty solid in my opinion. Deathgorge Scavenger has just been insane, easily shutting down all graveyard strategies I have encountered while supporting the aggro gameplan. I do really want a fourth Regisaur Alpha but I haven't been able to find space. Upon release if the meta shifts heavily to all-in aggro then I may drop Duress and Carnage Tyrant from the main to bring in 4 of Otepec Huntmaster and raise the Siege Dinos from 3 to 4.

All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:05:40 am by Niko Haight »

Borg

• Decks
Re: [Standard] Midrange Jund Dinos
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:58:34 pm »
I think you're right in assuming your mana base will eventually hurt you.
Dragonskull Summit and Rootbound Crag are also very likely to come into play tapped because you have only 9 basic lands overall.

I'd suggest this :

4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Blooming Marsh
2 Swamp
6 Forest
7 Mountain
2 Copperline Gorge

This gives you :
10 black, 12 green and 13 red sources all immediately available the first three turns.

Niko Haight

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 12:18:24 am »
Dragonskull Summit and Rootbound Crag are also very likely to come into play tapped because you have only 9 basic lands overall.
My original intention was that Canyon Slough would help support this but obviously this fails for a number of reasons. That tapped mana really hurts me, and cycling it is rarely good for me because then I'm still down mana that turn in the form of tapping my lands. It was a silly idea that sounded awesome in my head, but as I review it I definitely see where I went wrong.

I'd suggest this :

4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Blooming Marsh
2 Swamp
6 Forest
7 Mountain
2 Copperline Gorge

This gives you :
10 black, 12 green and 13 red sources all immediately available the first three turns.

Unfortunately Blackcleave Cliffs and Copperline Gorge are both absent from Standard at the moment, and thus would not make my deck legal.

Borg

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:46:29 am »
Unfortunately Blackcleave Cliffs and Copperline Gorge are both absent from Standard at the moment, and thus would not make my deck legal.

Oh, alright. I must say I play Legacy only.
I assumed that since Blooming Marsh was in your deck, the other similar lands were legal too, my mistake.

Niko Haight

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 10:51:56 am »
Honestly I made the same mistake when I first saw your suggestions. I was ecstatic at first because your mana base was so damn good. But then I had a feeling it was too good to be true. Regardless, I appreciate the input and your efforts.

osu15

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:28:10 am »
umm to much green for me and no walk the plank or shock  ... i dont see it

TyTy03

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:21:02 am »
Miss some Evolving Wilds for Revolt imo.

I'd also consider some Vraska's Contempt, Scarab God seems to be rough to handle with this shell, and why no Abrade too ? I see the strength of Lightning Strike, but killing a Gearhulk is relevent to me.

I like the idea to be honest, always Jund'em out  8)