deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Card Shaming  (Read 1112 times)

Firegriff

• Decks
Card Shaming
« on: July 08, 2017, 01:40:34 pm »
So on Facebook, a LGS does a Pack1Pick1 discussion on a nearly daily basis, and this time they did HOU for THE PACK.  From the pack, I declared Endless sands and even explained the actual reason for it being the pick.  What annoys me is this: a troll (by the internet definition) decided he had to declare the card to be worthless.  I re-explained the potential value of the card just now and went on to explain that part of the fun in the game is in building a deck that suits you and making cards shine unexpectedly against your opponents.  Hoping to de-troll the troll, if you will, but figured I'd start a discussion:  What cards have you found over the years that others saw as useless until you used them to beat the cardboard out of their decks?  The 'diamonds in the rough,' so to speak?  I certainly called Felidar Guardians!  ;D

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
Re: Card Shaming
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 02:36:16 pm »
Deflecting Palm. Nooooobody runs that car, but I've used it to beat so many decks. i love seeing my opponent get all cocky because he got out Emrakul then palming the damage back to him for lethal.
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

clajeunesse

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 04:16:54 pm »
This story isnt me personally. My brother built a rw humans deck with lone rider and neglected heirloom. Everyone he played wouldn't touch lone rider he would dodge removal until he flipped. Then people would had a 7/7 lifelink first strike trample coming after them. Everyone removed it in the games after that. Possibly the funniest reactions I have seen where when those cards flipped.

Orokem

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 05:06:45 pm »
When Demonic Pact came out, I spent so long trying to make the card work. I initially tried UB with bounce spells plus Crush of Tentacles for the finisher but it was pretty bad. I kept insisting to people that the card had combo potential but everyone ignored me until about a year later when someone made top 8 in a major tournament with Cat Pact. That's still my favourite deck to date. Death by kitty :3

jorienruindiver

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 05:18:46 pm »
Permeating Mass... sure its not broken, and its got little combo potential, but its so fun in a +1/1 counters deck, to just tear up a board state and have all your buffed Masses hitting for psuedo-deathtouch if they have 2 or more counters

Warden of Silence

• Weeb, comic nerd, theater geek, also hella cute
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 06:30:36 pm »
A card I quite enjoy is Batwing Brume. I typically play against more creature heavy decks, so being able to save myself and chip away at the opponent is nice. In one instance, I had one in my opening hand and drew three in a row (bad shuffling) and used each turn I used one against my friend, who had 5 or so vampires out and just kept swinging. I felt real good about that.
Symmetrical effects are fair.

bigdogdch

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 07:16:16 pm »
I have a combo I use in Commander
Celestial Dawn + Enchanted Evening with either Leave No Trace or Cleansing Meditation
Got laughed at for using celestial dawn but IMO it's an interesting way to color fix your deck

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 07:17:25 pm »
That cards actually rly good, just looking at it. Whyd people laugh?
Nils is the God I worship

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 10:21:05 pm »
Another fun combo is enchanted evening and aura thief.  Kill your aura thief, take EVERYTHING on the board... Including land.  Three Commanders I've played and been laughed at for:  Anafenza the Foremost (as soon as it came out), Nekusar, the Mindrazer, and Thraximundar.  After playing each one once, I thereafter became the "kill him at all costs" target of everyone else.  Well, Thrax kept them from attacking with armies much... Or killing creatures.  Too many "when a creature you control dies" effects in there. 😁

crexalbo

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 05:26:18 pm »
I'm playing Lantern Prison and opponent is playing Eldrazi Tron. I had an opponent audibly laugh at me during a recorded feature match when I played Mechanized Production on my Pithing Needle. His attitude became more salty and sour with every out I named in his deck from there

Karn Liberated, Endbringer, Ratchet Bomb, Sea Gate Wreckage, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, and of course Goblin Balloon Brigade. He would stop for a while after every turn and think about what he could do, only to simply pass turn a minute after. He was not happy.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:05:18 pm by crexalbo »

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 05:24:09 pm »
I'm playing Lantern Prison and opponent is playing Eldrazi Tron. I had an opponent audibly laugh at me during a recorded feature match when I played Mechanized Production on my Pithing Needle. His attitude became more salty and sour with every out I named in his deck from there

Karn Liberated, Endbringer, Ratchet Bomb, Sea Gate Wreckage, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, and of course Goblin Balloon Brigade. He would stop for a while after every turn and think about what he could do, only to simply pass turn a minute after. He was not happy.

Lantern control is my favorite deck. I remember the first time I played it at my lgs, nobody had ever actually seen the deck before. They couldn't figure out the point. Then after taking every game to either time or scoop, I was asked, discretely, to not play it again.
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Orokem

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 04:32:08 am »

Holy crap, Lantern Prison with Mechanized Production sounds hilarious, do you still happen to have the decklist?

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 04:08:14 pm »
I had a deck in standard that used Mirror Mockery on Thought-Knot Seer and Reflector Mage. A deck everyone loved to hate!