deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Mirage Mirror questions  (Read 2345 times)

Odrei

• Decks
Mirage Mirror questions
« on: October 02, 2017, 01:24:10 pm »
Hi folks,

I've two question regarding the Mirage Mirror:

1. If I copy a Predator Ooze and attack, the Mirror will get a +1/+1 counter for it - will I loose the counter at the end of turn or will it stay on the mirror?

2. What happens if I copy a creature with eternalize with the Mirror and get beaten to the graveyard, can I recover it in the same turn (i.e. before 'end of turn')?

I didn't find details to that, so any help is appreciated.

Best,
Olli

F-YD

• Decks
Re: Mirage Mirror questions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 03:03:14 pm »
Hello, escuse my english.

For the first question, the artefac keep the +1/+1 in end of turn

For the second question, the copy of the creature become an artefac on the end of turn, and you have an artefac in your graveyard, not a creature.

Regards

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 03:13:07 pm »
Yes he is correct, question 1 is that mirage mirror turns back into an artifact and any counters fall off

2nd question is yes mirage mirror gets eternalize but it dies and hits the graveyard turning it back into mirage mirror and loses eternalize
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 04:56:48 pm »
As I understand it, a +1/+1 counter ppaced on a permanent stays on the permanent until it leaves the battlefield. So, if your mirror changes to a creature and gets a counter it keeps it when it changes at end of turn. It would lose the counter if it was exiled, blinked, bounced, or destroyed. 

On MGTO (Online magic), if you change Mirage Mirror into The Scorpion God and it gets killed - it goes to the graveyard as a copy of the Scorpion God, and returns to your hand as that is what the scorpion god does, and ends the turn as a mirage mirror.

It seems like the rule makers say Mirage Mirror changing lasts to the very end of turn,  even in the graveyard. So, I would say yes, you could embalm /eternalize the changed mirage mirror and bring it back. At the end of the turn, it reverts to Mirage Mirror.

I am not a judge, and am frequently wrong about things.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 10:39:12 pm »
The above is correct. Counters stay on a permanent for as long as it is in the zone it was in when it got the counter.  So a morphed creature keeps it counters after it morphs, etc. 

205.1a Some effects set an object's card type. In such cases, the new card type(s) replaces any existing card types. Counters, effects, and damage marked on the object remain with it, even if they are meaningless to the new card type.
(this may be an old rule location, but the rule is the same).
It keeps the +1/+1 counters until it dies, gets exiled, blinks, or somehow leaves the zone of the battlefield. 

Regarding the other question, Mirage Mirror, the card, does not have eternalize.  So even though it's a "copy" of a creature with eternalize while on the board, when it goes to the graveyard, it is no longer that copy and reverts back to being Mirror.  This applies to any "becomes a copy of" card.

As an aside, though, Mirror "hits" the graveyard as the creature, and will trigger any abilities that trigger on death of a creature, creature type, or that specific creature.   
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:57:10 pm »
The above is correct. Counters stay on a permanent for as long as it is in the zone it was in when it got the counter.  So a morphed creature keeps it counters after it morphs, etc. 

205.1a Some effects set an object's card type. In such cases, the new card type(s) replaces any existing card types. Counters, effects, and damage marked on the object remain with it, even if they are meaningless to the new card type.
(this may be an old rule location, but the rule is the same).
It keeps the +1/+1 counters until it dies, gets exiled, blinks, or somehow leaves the zone of the battlefield. 

Regarding the other question, Mirage Mirror, the card, does not have eternalize.  So even though it's a "copy" of a creature with eternalize while on the board, when it goes to the graveyard, it is no longer that copy and reverts back to being Mirror.  This applies to any "becomes a copy of" card.

As an aside, though, Mirror "hits" the graveyard as the creature, and will trigger any abilities that trigger on death of a creature, creature type, or that specific creature.   

Thank you for that explaination re: why scorpion god's trigger works and embalm wouldn't. I assume when it hits the graveyard, triggers happen and the mirror reverts before anyone can gain priority (to say, embalm); have I got it?
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 11:03:46 pm »
Thank you for that explaination re: why scorpion god's trigger works and embalm wouldn't. I assume when it hits the graveyard, triggers happen and the mirror reverts before anyone can gain priority (to say, embalm); have I got it?

Exactly.  People can respond to the death trigger, but there is no way to respond to the event of the card turning back into mirror. 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Odrei

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 08:38:40 am »
Thank you for so many helpful answers! This is just as I thought it would be and it feels right this way.

Smyth

• Playing better games, one decklist at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 11:23:52 pm »
Condensed version:

1. Mirage Mirror is only ever itself when it hits the graveyard. It's not whatever it was when it died.
2. A permanent Mirage Mirror turns into does not enter or leave the battlefield, since it's still Mirage Mirror.
3. You can activate Mirage Mirror whenever you have the mana.
4. If Mirage Mirror turns into a creature, it doesn't have summoning sickness unless Mirage Mirror is new to your side of the field, just blinked in, et cetera. A Mirage Mirror you've had for a turn can, for example, turn into Arcanis the Omnipotent, immediately tap and draw three cards.
5. In any zone but the battlefield, Mirage Mirror is Mirage Mirror. It has its normal CMC, it's a noncreature artifact, and its name is Mirage Mirror. If it becomes a copy of something else, it also copies things like CMC and permanent type.

That's about it.