deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Junky Thing  (Read 345 times)

nevetsjy

• Decks
[Modern] Junky Thing
« on: October 08, 2017, 05:27:20 pm »
Junky Thing

Ideas:

Fetchlands/Life from the Loam

1) Vinelasher Kadzu benefits from the fetchlands - he's a Goyf replacement. (was considering Quinion Dryad, Skinshifter or good ol' Scooze). Loam can bring back fetchlands to pump the Vinelasher.

2) Worm Harvest is an interesting card that benefits from the fetches. It would also benefit from cycling lands too, but these are possibly too slow for Modern? Thoughts welcome on this.

Sideboard:

* I figured I quite like Bitterblossom against Midrange and Control stuff - SB as against Burn it is not so good and combo decks like Scapeshift it doesn't get the job done soon enough.

* Thoughtseize is always useful. The lifeloss is negated (potentially) by Kitchen Finks.

* Ratchet Bomb for when I *don't* have a board full of 1/1s and to counter things like Empty the Warrens etc.

Not sure if I've got the manabase totally right but it seems pretty smooth at the minute. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

grollm

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Junky Thing
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 05:18:17 pm »
Can't really figure out what your deck is trying to do. I can understand if you're trying to make this budget, but I don't understand Vinelasher. It requires a heavy investment to be good and it dies to all the removal in Modern. If you're not going budget, I would replace the Lashers with Goyfs. If you're trying to make it budget replace them with Grim Flayer. I don't think you need the 3 Damnations mainboard, unless your meta is heavily flooded with creature decks. I like the Life from the Loam, but I would run a full 4 of Ghost Quarter or maybe a 2 Ghost Quarter 2 Tectonic Edge split. Recurring land disruption is amazing. I don't like Worm Harvest at all. Once again, it's really expensive and it requires a pretty big investment to be good. I would say you make those Siege Rhinos. I also don't like Dark Blast at all. You're not a dredge deck.  I would do this. -1 Damnation, -4 Dark Blast, -1 Garruk, -4 Vinelasher, -2 Worm Harvest, -4 Crime Punishment, -2 Caustic. +4 Lingering Souls, +4 Siege Rhino, +4 Goyf/Grim Flayer, +4 Path to Exile, +2 Liliana of the Veil
"It's actually quite simple, but since you've only recently begun to walk upright, it may take some time to explain."

grollm

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 05:25:50 pm »
If you really like janky graveyard interaction. Check out Haakon Loam. You basically run Haakon, Life from the Loam, Changeling (I think?), and Knight of the Reliquary. I'm sure you can find a list somewhere online.
"It's actually quite simple, but since you've only recently begun to walk upright, it may take some time to explain."

nevetsjy

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:22:14 pm »
Can't really figure out what your deck is trying to do. I can understand if you're trying to make this budget, but I don't understand Vinelasher. It requires a heavy investment to be good and it dies to all the removal in Modern. If you're not going budget, I would replace the Lashers with Goyfs. If you're trying to make it budget replace them with Grim Flayer. I don't think you need the 3 Damnations mainboard, unless your meta is heavily flooded with creature decks. I like the Life from the Loam, but I would run a full 4 of Ghost Quarter or maybe a 2 Ghost Quarter 2 Tectonic Edge split. Recurring land disruption is amazing. I don't like Worm Harvest at all. Once again, it's really expensive and it requires a pretty big investment to be good. I would say you make those Siege Rhinos. I also don't like Dark Blast at all. You're not a dredge deck.  I would do this. -1 Damnation, -4 Dark Blast, -1 Garruk, -4 Vinelasher, -2 Worm Harvest, -4 Crime Punishment, -2 Caustic. +4 Lingering Souls, +4 Siege Rhino, +4 Goyf/Grim Flayer, +4 Path to Exile, +2 Liliana of the Veil

Yeah, it's a budgety thing. I'd love Goyfs and Liliana if I could (potentially could run it online). Worm Harvest is probably too slow for Modern and I would probably run Lingering Souls ahead of it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

grollm

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 02:36:14 pm »
No worries man! You can always put in Liliana of the Last Hope. She's not as good as Lily of the Veil, but still pretty good and has some good synergies with this deck.

nevetsjy

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 09:30:24 am »
What do you think to Scooze as a goyf alternative?

grollm

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 03:26:27 pm »
Scooze is pretty good, but I wouldn't see it as a Goyf replacement. If you really can't afford Goyfs I would run Grim Flayers. They are pretty good and they filter your draws. Have you checked out the price of Goyfs lately? You can pick up an MM15 one for like $50 bucks now.