deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] Unblockable Merfolk  (Read 185 times)

Random.exe

• Decks
[Standard] Unblockable Merfolk
« on: October 17, 2017, 03:37:38 pm »
Unblockable Merfolk

Hey everyone, I'm a new user to deckstats and a returning player to standard after quite a few years. I was looking for a deck to start playing FNM with and decided to put together this Merfolk deck. So far I've had mixed success with it and I think part is due to my time away from the game as well as the deck itself. The strategy of this deck is to use Metallic Mimic to give my merfolk +1/+1 counters and then use Herald of Secret Streams to make them unblockable. Verdurous Gearhulk can also provide counters quickly if I still have creatures without counters when he comes out. Merfolk Branchwalker can also give itself a counter along with helping me thin the deck via exploring. Deeproot Waters can very quickly provide hexproof tokens that also gain counters. I was originally running three copies of Deeproot and am considering going back to three. The Deeproot tokens can get out of hand quickly if it is played early enough. Blossoming Defense, Spell Pierce and Kopala, Warden of Waves provide some protection to important targets like Metallic Mimic and Herald of Secret Streams.

This deck was built on a budget and I don't have much of a collection right now but please provide any suggestions for improvements along with your thoughts. I also haven't put together a side board yet so any suggestions are welcome. I'm not expecting to turn this into a competitive deck but I would like to improve it's consistency. The strategy of making merfolk unblockable is fun and it can be effective. 

Thanks!

Firegriff

• Decks
Re: [Standard] Unblockable Merfolk
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 08:06:12 pm »
Designed a similar deck already.  Have you considered River Heralds' Boon? Or Siren's Ruse?

Random.exe

• Decks
Re: [Standard] Unblockable Merfolk
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 02:44:52 pm »
Designed a similar deck already.  Have you considered River Heralds' Boon? Or Siren's Ruse?

I had not considered either of those cards, thank you. I was trying to find some more spells to support my creatures so I will play around with those and try them out. I still want to add a third copy of Deeproot Waters back in but I can't find anything to cut and I don't want to remove too many of my protection spells. I also feel like I could use a few more lands in the deck, I'm not positive yet on the land count. One of the upgrades suggested has been four copies of Botanical Sanctum but those are too expensive for me to consider picking up right now.