deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Card Interaction: Treacherous Pit-Dweller & Supernatural Stamina  (Read 579 times)

debiant

• Decks
So,

This is my understanding of how the interaction would take effect.

Treacherous Pit-Dweller dies. I have priority and I cast Supernatural Stamina. Because Supernatural Stamina is on top of the stack when the Pit Dweller dies the static ability to return to the owner should be assigned to the Treacherous Pit-Dweller. As the owner, it is my understanding that I am able to decide in which order the two abilities of the Treacherous Pit-Dweller go off.

But I think that doesn't matter because of the wording of the ability on Treacherous Pit-Dweller. No matter what, it will still go to my opponent. Is my assumption correct?

Thanks!

Firegriff

• Decks
Re: Card Interaction: Treacherous Pit-Dweller & Supernatural Stamina
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:39:55 am »
My understanding is that with supernatural stamina, it doesn't -quite- hit the graveyard.  But I could be wrong.

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 01:39:25 am »
I believe the Instant effects over ride the wording on the permanent, just like a "cannot be regenerated" effect prevents say, Drudge Skeletons from regenerating.

In this case, I think it only applies to whether or not it gets a +1/+1 counter.  As both effects return the Pit-Dweller from the graveyard to the battlefield, control of it should still go to your opponent.

Ruling that applies.....(I believe)

608.2c The controller of the spell or ability follows its instructions in the order written. However, replacement effects may modify these actions. In some cases, later text on the card may modify the meaning of earlier text (for example, “Destroy target creature. It can’t be regenerated” or “Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it on top of its owner’s library instead of into its owner’s graveyard.”) Don’t just apply effects step by step without thinking in these cases—read the whole text and apply the rules of English to the text.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:44:22 am by DelverMage »

theChald

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 11:26:42 pm »
Supernatural stamina reads "return it to the battlefield" i understand that it is returning from the Graveyard, hence the ability of the Treacherous Pit-Dweller is triggered then.

I am not sure if it gets the +1/+1 counter
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:28:24 pm by theChald »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:27:06 am »
This is actually simple..

Under the assumption that Treacherous Pit-Dweller is going to die. Supernatural Stamina has to be played before Treacherous Pit-Dweller actually dies. Supernatural Stamina takes place because the death aspect, while Pit-Dweller is a graveyard recursion affect. So Supernatural goes off and you return Pit-Dweller back onto the battlefield tapped.

Then this takes place When Treacherous Pit-Dweller enters the battlefield from a graveyard, target opponent gains control of it. He has entered the battlefield from the graveyard via Supernatural Stamina and since the requirements are met target opponent gains control of it. Pit-Dweller's ability doesn't go off until somehow he enters the battlefield from the graveyard.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me