deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Dragon Tempest and Utvara Hellkite interaction?  (Read 654 times)

shadowultd

• Decks
Dragon Tempest and Utvara Hellkite interaction?
« on: October 28, 2017, 03:13:09 pm »
Hey so I was wondering how this interaction works when dragons are attacking and how many times does the damage occur?

Lets say for example I have Utvara Hellkite and one other dragon in play and I attack with both of them. I know that this will trigger Utvara Hellkite and spawn in two new dragon tokens but how does it interact with Dragon Tempest, Does it

A) Trigger once dealing 4 damage since I now have 4 dragons in play.

B) Trigger twice since 2 dragons entered the battlefield. If this does it deal the 4 damage twice or does it deal 3 for the first dragon entering and then 4 for the second or does it deal 4 damage twice since both enter simultaneously?

C) Something else entirely. (maybe I missed something)

For clarity I know the new dragons can't attack the same turn because they come in after attack declaration. It's the X damage from Dragon Tempest I'm confused about.

Also for reference I'm using this combo in my dragon deck https://deckstats.net/decks/14650/766055-tempest-of-fire/en if anyone's interested.

Soren841

• Decks
Re: Dragon Tempest and Utvara Hellkite interaction?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 04:14:40 pm »
It triggers twice
Nils is the God I worship

shadowultd

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:14:56 pm »
It triggers twice

Cool. For how much damage though? Both for 4?

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 11:07:54 pm »
No clue but its just 1 point of damage, if that's the difference between a win and a loss something needs to be redone with
Ur deck  :-\  i,suppose you and your opponent can just come to an agreement about it if it ever comes up, at least until u figure it out
Nils is the God I worship

shadowultd

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 11:36:22 pm »
No clue but its just 1 point of damage, if that's the difference between a win and a loss something needs to be redone with
Ur deck  :-\  i,suppose you and your opponent can just come to an agreement about it if it ever comes up, at least until u figure it out

The deck works fine. I just want to know how the interaction works just in case it ever comes up.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 04:59:56 am »
I'm not an expert, but here is how I see it:

Two attacking dragons make 2 Hellkite triggers, and without any further additions to the stack these resolve, two 6/6 dragons etb, which adds 2 dragon tempest triggers to the stack, as these resolve they 'check' to see how many dragons you control, you choose which trigger resolves 1st, but they both would hit for 4.

Someone else will read this thread and confirm or show us how I got it wrong. Nice combo!
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

shadowultd

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 02:16:01 pm »
I'm not an expert, but here is how I see it:

Two attacking dragons make 2 Hellkite triggers, and without any further additions to the stack these resolve, two 6/6 dragons etb, which adds 2 dragon tempest triggers to the stack, as these resolve they 'check' to see how many dragons you control, you choose which trigger resolves 1st, but they both would hit for 4.

Someone else will read this thread and confirm or show us how I got it wrong. Nice combo!

Thanks:D I figured that's how it worked but I wanted to confirm it:D

interfector

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 02:21:56 pm »
The truth is that dragon tempest triggers twice but it does 3 and 4 damage respectively the first and the second trigger.

Why?

When dragons attack two Utvara triggers are on the stack. But they resolve separately, so resolve first and enters a dragon that trigger dragon tempest and The trigger is put on the stack and resolve before the  second Utvara trigger dealing 3 damage. Then the second Utvara trigger resolve, a new dragon enters triggering dragon tempest and dealing 4 damage.

So total damage 7!

shadowultd

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 02:26:04 pm »
The truth is that dragon tempest triggers twice but it does 3 and 4 damage respectively the first and the second trigger.

Why?

When dragons attack two Utvara triggers are on the stack. But they resolve separately, so resolve first and enters a dragon that trigger dragon tempest and The trigger is put on the stack and resolve before the  second Utvara trigger dealing 3 damage. Then the second Utvara trigger resolve, a new dragon enters triggering dragon tempest and dealing 4 damage.

So total damage 7!

Good to know and Thanks for the explanation!