deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Rivals of Ixalan (Spoilers)  (Read 3342 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Rivals of Ixalan (Spoilers)
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2018, 04:16:39 am »
This is a better than usual set for EDH. I came up with my list of cards to acquire and am currently at 23 cards to put into my 11 EDH decks though 3 are repeats that are going into different decks.

Purphoros, which almost never gets any new toys, along with Edgar appear to be the big winners right now with five new cards in consideration for moving into each deck. Talrand will be looking at three. Sidisi, Animar, & Skullbriar two each, while Saskia, Daxos, & Ob Nixlis will each be trying one each. Only Tajic & Sliver Overlord are left in the cold.

Even the new deck I'm currently working out a build for (Polukranos) has a few cards I'm considering for it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:44:31 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2018, 06:17:32 pm »
I wouldn't say some cards aren't for standard but then again look at most sets anyway and see how many are actually used competitively for standard? Just like any other set most of these cards won't see the sun of day in standard. I do like this set more over Ixaxlan, just has a better feel compared to Ixalan. Now EDH got more help in Ixaxlan then this set so far anyway :)
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2018, 06:59:43 pm »
Well if you think about it, Standard is basically the cash crop of magic. New stuff comes out, the competitive players have more tools in their arsenals, and people have more to watch and more ways to play. Formats like modern and EDH don't really change too much so cards geared for those formats rarely come out in a general set. Think about it, how often do you get cards designed around having 40+ life in a usual MTG set? IF a card screams "use me in commander" then it'll be more than likely obvious.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2018, 07:41:33 pm »
Blood Sun removes the ability that makes lands enter tapped.. bounce lands anyone?
Nils is the God I worship

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2018, 08:34:39 pm »
Blood Sun removes the ability that makes lands enter tapped.. bounce lands anyone?

I'm not sure, but I think bounce lands like rakdos carnarium still enter tapped (not an ability) and you still bounce a land, as that is more of a cost than an ability.

That is my take on what it 'feels like' it should do,  not a judge.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2018, 08:37:12 pm »
It doesn't say a cost. They're ETB ABILITIES

G. Moto

• Decks

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2018, 08:50:18 pm »
It does still improve the bounce lands tho, and hoses fetches deserts etc

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2018, 08:51:24 pm »
Fortunately I run Chromatic Lantern alongside fetches in EDH so if I do hose my fetches i can tutor up lantern and it's all good again

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2018, 08:57:32 pm »
@Soren841, considering the influx of cards that are coming out what effect do you think that this will have on the standard? Almost anything can be played in EDH, but both Standard and Modern are carefully constructive formats where the deck you build have to be perfectly suitable for the cards being used. For example, forerunner of the heralds would be great in an edh deck simply because the sheer number of spells and creature production that you could do in that kind of deck. However the same creature may not grow so large or be as potent in a standard deck unless the deck is specifically geared towards abusing its ETB filed effect.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2018, 09:15:14 pm »
From Magic the Gathering Website on Blood Moon

3/14/2017
If a nonbasic land has an ability that triggers “when” it enters the battlefield, it will lose that ability before it triggers.

9/29/2017
If a nonbasic land has an ability that causes it to enter the battlefield tapped, it lose will that ability before it applies. The same is also true of any other abilities that modify how a land enters the battlefield or apply “as” a land enters the battlefield, such as the first ability of Cavern of Souls. This is a change from previous rulings.

So take out the word non basic and leave land, I am certain that these same rules would apply to Blood Sun as Blood Moon
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2018, 09:38:13 pm »
Thank you Robort, that really helps.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2018, 09:38:24 pm »
So I'm correct then?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2018, 09:42:55 pm »
yes, by the ruing that Robort presented; dual lands will enter untapped and lose any extra abilities.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2018, 09:57:08 pm »
Reading the cards tells me that's correct.. But logic says it's not because I doubt that Wizards meant it to do that. Maybe they just didn't think of it and were focusing mostly on standard, the flip lands and deserts