deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Rivals of Ixalan (Spoilers)  (Read 3341 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Rivals of Ixalan (Spoilers)
« on: November 07, 2017, 09:49:52 pm »

So we have two new spoilers that actually came out last week. If you haven't seen them already then I've displayed them here.
This set could be powerful, and focuses on the tribal theme.

Silvergill Adept is a great addition to a merfolk tribal giving you a card advantage, for potentially 2 mana.
Ghalta, Primal Hunger seems like it is going to be a Metalwork Colossus having synergy for your board state power can make it castable at least on turn 5-6. With spot removal, it is still vulnerable, but imagine if you have Regisaur Alpha down, and that extra token has given you a power of 7 on the board (5 mana) to cast him next turn with haste, is a nice combo.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:51:29 pm by Mnemosyne »

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
Re: Rivals of Ixalan (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 11:10:09 pm »

So we have two new spoilers that actually came out last week. If you haven't seen them already then I've displayed them here.

Silvergill Adept is a great addition to a merfolk tribal giving you a card advantage, for potentially 2 mana.
Ghalta, Primal Hunger seems like it is going to be a Metalwork Colossus having synergy for your board state power can make it castable at least on turn 5-6. With spot removal, it is still vulnerable, but imagine if you have Regisaur Alpha down, and that extra token has given you a power of 7 on the board (5 mana) to cast him next turn with haste, is a nice combo.

Why not turn 4 Elder Hungry Primo?

Turn 1 - open for a 1 drop, does not affect combo, but something good could go here, maybe a 0/3 chumper.
Turn 2 - Scrapheap Scrounger
Turn 3 - Cultivator's Caravan
Turn 4 - crew CC with scrapheap, tap your 4 lands = Ghalta - if you missed a lamd drop, you can tap CC instead of having a 5/5 attacker.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 11:43:51 pm »
Even my super competitive Yidris EDH deck was decimated when Ghalta was played as their commander.. definitely op
Nils is the God I worship

retroplayer1478

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 03:40:49 pm »

Why not turn 4 Elder Hungry Primo?

Turn 1 - open for a 1 drop, does not affect combo, but something good could go here, maybe a 0/3 chumper.
Turn 2 - Scrapheap Scrounger
Turn 3 - Cultivator's Caravan
Turn 4 - crew CC with scrapheap, tap your 4 lands = Ghalta - if you missed a lamd drop, you can tap CC instead of having a 5/5 attacker.

How about instead you turn one kinjalli's caller ? It makes a slight difference anyway

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 05:15:48 pm »
Ghalta, Primal Hunger is going to be a great nasty commander for edh. Then will dominate any draft and pre-release.
Gonna see how fast one could get em out now with just the cards we have in standard
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 06:14:05 pm »
How about Cheating out Ghalta, Primal Hunger with Champion of Rhonas instead but lets see what we have in Christmas land... Turn 1.. Old-Growth Dryads into turn 2 Bloodrage Brawler into turn 3 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
and drop out Ghalta, Primal Hunger as well on turn 3 due in thanks to the counters and the mana produced from Rishkar.

A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Smyth

• Playing better games, one decklist at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:26:26 pm »
If there's an Elder Dinosaur in green, there's going to be one in red and in white as well. Ghalta looks pretty scary... can't wait to see all her friends!  ;D

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 10:32:55 pm »

A flip enchantment for artefacts. Useful if you're making an improvise deck in Standard, if not, I can't see any other benefit.
Turn 4 it is possible to flip it during your end step, and generate 5 blue mana, which could allow you to cast some big nasty things. Like... Herald of Anguish or Nicol Bolas, God Pharoah. However, you'd still need 2/3 other mana sources.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 11:23:04 pm »

A flip enchantment for artefacts. Useful if you're making an improvise deck in Standard, if not, I can't see any other benefit.
Turn 4 it is possible to flip it during your end step, and generate 5 blue mana, which could allow you to cast some big nasty things. Like... Herald of Anguish or Nicol Bolas, God Pharoah. However, you'd still need 2/3 other mana sources.

This card looks exciting - tapping one card for 5 mana in this standard still has uses. Torment of Hailfire, battle at the bridge in grixis, open into wonder, pull from tomorrow in blue, release the gremlins in red. Temur gives some more green x spells like the newest nissa. They gave us some cheap evasion creatures too in slither blade, pirates and merfolk. It has potential.

Thanks for posting the image links to the cards!
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 03:56:45 am »
This card looks exciting - tapping one card for 5 mana in this standard still has uses. Torment of Hailfire, battle at the bridge in grixis, open into wonder, pull from tomorrow in blue, release the gremlins in red. Temur gives some more green x spells like the newest nissa. They gave us some cheap evasion creatures too in slither blade, pirates and merfolk. It has potential.

Thanks for posting the image links to the cards!

You're welcome  :)
The only reason why I don't think it will be that useful in Standard is that it requires 5 artefacts, whilst it's very possible, especially with Hidden Stockpile/ Anointed Procession - or Treasure Map and Treasure Tokens. Cards like Hour of Revelation, Field of Ruin and general counter-spells (Censor/Disallow/Metallic Rebuke/Spell Pierce/Revolutionary Rebuff/etc...) are enough to ruin the synergy.

But I'm just a cynic. I hope you're right and it shakes things up! I do like the card.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 05:40:34 pm »
@Nils has added some new cards, but for those who haven't noticed, I've added them here.

Hmm, I don't know what to think about these cards. They are definitely not Modern playable and I doubt they will shake up Standard. But for EDH? This might be good.

Tetzimoc, Primal Death, a 6 mana deathtouch 6/6 with 'prey' counters at face value looks great, and it's full of flavour. But there are more efficient ways to wrath a board state without giving away your intentions by revealing it everytime you want to mark a creature an opponent controls. That's just begging for a counter-spell up the arse without the sweet talk. It is also just too easy to remove!

I like (The Immortal Sun) artefact. It is 6 mana yes, which means that you'll have to live long enough to play it, and like one of my friends has mentioned, yes it doesn't automatically win you the game. You can't, however, overlook the key abilities it possesses. Chandra, Liliana, Nicol Bolas, Gideon, to name a few, are a pain to deal with in Standard. Especially since the redirection rule is going to be removed! (Thank goodness!) Shutting down loyalty is a useful trick, (Deadlock Trap) even if you can't use those abilities yourself.

I like being able to draw an extra card, have cheaper spells and my creatures buffed. That's a game changer, so long as you don't run into an Abrade. (Padeem, Consul of Innovation)
There are ways to reduce its cost (Foundry Inspector), even cheat it out (Refurbish) with the card I spoiled earlier (Storm the Vault) we can make use of that reduced cost and extra mana to start churning out creatures or perhaps cast that (Cut // Ribbons) we have in the graveyard.

I hope this gets a shot in tribal decks, even though we do have Vanquisher's Banner the control element will be useful! Let's hope those flip enchantment/lands can finally be of use. (Other than Search for Azcanta)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:43:26 pm by Mnemosyne »

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 06:04:56 pm »
@Nils has added some new cards, but for those who haven't noticed, I've added them here.

Hmm, I don't know what to think about these cards. They are definitely not Modern playable and I doubt they will shake up Standard. But for EDH? This might be good.

Tetzimoc, Primal Death, a 6 mana deathtouch 6/6 with 'prey' counters at face value looks great, and it's full of flavour. But there are more efficient ways to wrath a board state without giving away your intentions by revealing it everytime you want to mark a creature an opponent controls. That's just begging for a counter-spell up the arse without the sweet talk. It is also just too easy to remove!

I like (The Immortal Sun) artefact. It is 6 mana yes, which means that you'll have to live long enough to play it, and like one of my friends has mentioned, yes it doesn't automatically win you the game. You can't, however, overlook the key abilities it possesses. Chandra, Liliana, Nicol Bolas, Gideon, to name a few, are a pain to deal with in Standard. Especially since the redirection rule is going to be removed! (Thank goodness!) Shutting down loyalty is a useful trick, (Deadlock Trap) even if you can't use those abilities yourself.

I like being able to draw an extra card, have cheaper spells and my creatures buffed. That's a game changer, so long as you don't run into an Abrade. (Padeem, Consul of Innovation)
There are ways to reduce its cost (Foundry Inspector), even cheat it out (Refurbish) with the card I spoiled earlier (Storm the Vault) we can make use of that reduced cost and extra mana to start churning out creatures or perhaps cast that (Cut // Ribbons) we have in the graveyard.

I hope this gets a shot in tribal decks, even though we do have Vanquisher's Banner the control element will be useful! Let's hope those flip enchantment/lands can finally be of use. (Other than Search for Azcanta)

The immortal sun reaaaly likes to cover a lot of bases,  huh? Compared to vanquisher's banner at one less mana, immortal sun wins, imo. All creatures,  not just tribal get the boost, and you draw extra each turn,  not just on the tribal creature cast trigger. Then add in the mana cost reduction on spells that follow this artifact. Not bad - but I agree, hard casting this without ramp seems too slow.

That black elder dino has curious rules text: you only destroy creatures with prey counters if they are your opponent's, yet you can target any creature for the prey counter placement.  Curious.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:07:43 pm by CardAgain Sweater »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 08:35:54 pm »
That'll kill Atraxa

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 01:41:09 am »
New news.  Planeswalker decks will be Angrath and Vraska.  Looks like Vraska will have an ally vampire in the deck dealing 2 damage to defending playing and gaining you 2 hit points every time it attacks and you control Vraska.  Angrath ultimates to destroy all of an opponent's creatures and deal damage to that player for the total of those creatures' power.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 02:19:19 am »
EDH will love Angrath