deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Hypersonic dragon question  (Read 417 times)

retroplayer1478

• Decks
Hypersonic dragon question
« on: November 09, 2017, 03:36:05 pm »
If a creature ability states "activate only any time you could cast a sorcery" and you had hypersonic dragon out, would you be able to use that ability anytime?

Soren841

• Decks
Re: Hypersonic dragon question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:57:29 pm »
It means u can only use it on your main phase with the stack empty, flash doesn't change it because normally sorceries don't work like that
Nils is the God I worship

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 05:23:55 pm »
If a creature ability states "activate only any time you could cast a sorcery" and you had hypersonic dragon out, would you be able to use that ability anytime?

The dragon allows actual 'sorcery' spells to be cast at instant speed; it has no effect on abilities that can only be used during your main phases when stack is empty.

The Gatherer page for Hypersonic Dragon: "Hypersonic Dragon’s last ability has no effect on abilities that you can activate “any time you could cast a sorcery.”"

Anyone know of a card that will allow what OP wanted to do?  I'm interested if anyone does know.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 05:36:17 pm »
I think I've seen one I'll look to see if I can remember the name

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 04:09:25 pm »
I think I've seen one I'll look to see if I can remember the name

I don't think there is anything that does exactly what the OP was thinking, although I would agree that hyeprsonic dragon should let you activate abilities that say only anytime you could cast a sorcery because hypersonic dragon says you can cast sorceries any time you could cast an instant. I know this is not the official ruling, but that is how I think it should work out based on the wording.

The closest you could get to something like this, I think, would be something like  Teferi, Temporal Archmage for plansewalkers and hypersonic dragon for sorceries. Things that say "only any time you could cast a sorcery" are stuck to your main phase while the stack is empty and you have priority.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 04:16:14 pm »
Vedalken Orrery is the closest thing i think

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 08:11:45 pm »
I don't believe there's anything that specifically allows sorcery speed abilities to be played at instant speed.

Vedalken Orrery & Leyline of Anticipation only effect when you can cast spells (timing of sorceries, enchantments, Planeswalkers, & creatures- though it doesn't effect the timing rule of when you can activate Planeswalker abilities- they are sorcery speed). 

Winding Canyons, Prophet of Kruphix, & Yeva only effect when you can cast creature spells.

edit- Spelling is not my friend today.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:17:42 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.