deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: I'm new to MTG. Any advice? This is my first deck please help 😊  (Read 438 times)

Jsturdivant93

• Decks
[deck="First deck"]
//Main
1 Angelsong
3 Bishop's Soldier
1 Day's Undoing
1 Dazzling Reflection
2 Deeproot Waters
1 Dispel
1 Fleet Swallower
1 Geist of Saint Traft
3 Inspiring Cleric
12 Island
1 Jace Beleren
1 Jace's Phantasm
1 Kraken of the Straits
1 Linvala, the Preserver
4 Meandering River
3 Merfolk Spy
1 Murder Investigation
1 Negate
10 Plains
1 Primal Plasma
3 Queen's Commission
1 Rebuke
1 River Sneak
1 Scroll Thief
1 Serra Avatar
2 Shaper Apprentice
1 Tempest Caller
1 Tromokratis
1 Venser, the Sojourner
1 Victory's Herald
[/deck]
😊

Ox Shaman

• Decks
Re: I'm new to MTG. Any advice? This is my first deck please help 😊
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 04:27:17 pm »

Really nice deck,  the only thing I can see what to do that might help is to bring the mana cost down a bit by removing the higher mana cost creature maybe trow in some more removal spells.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 04:36:13 pm »
Too many one ofs, use more duplicates. Also cut down to 60 cards
Nils is the God I worship

Jsturdivant93

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:59:24 pm »
Ok thanks guys 😊
😊

1Bronson

• I am Crisp Rat, Lord of the Stars
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 08:46:48 pm »
try adding some duel lands, meandering river, or evolving wilds, or terramorphic expanse.

Jsturdivant93

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 08:59:58 pm »
I have 4 meandering rivers thought we could only have 4 of any card except when its a basic land? Sorry still trying to learn 😝
😊

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 09:51:59 pm »
Correct  can only have 4 unless it's a basic land. In fact,you should limit your deck size to 60 cards, and have as many 4 ofs as possible, with at least 23-24 lands
Nils is the God I worship

Ox Shaman

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 09:55:23 pm »
Lots of cards do the same thing but have different  names, that really comes in handy for edh. Also how much land depends on the deck.

Jsturdivant93

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 01:20:41 am »
Ok awesome thanks you guys I'll double up on some cards and take some out any advice on which ones?
😊

shadowultd

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 01:36:53 am »
For your creatures I'd suggest perhaps narrowing it down to maybe one or two creature types. This way you can benefit from the effects of tribal effects or lords (Knight Exemplar and Elvish Archdruid for example) It's not a completely necessary step but It can be very beneficial if your aiming to build a creature deck.

Chronologist

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 01:45:57 am »
Another player once told me of the rule of four.  That means take nine cards and get four of them, then fill the rest of the 60 card deck with land, and that's your deck.

Figure out which creatures do what best for you, and how much mana they cost.  Then use them and build your deck around them.

Don't rely on cards that you have only one of unless it's a legendary that really makes your deck shine and assists what the rest of your deck is doing.

Focus on what you want your deck to do.  Do you wish to protect yourself with massive lifegain amounts and then pull of a sneaky win with Felidar Sovereign?  Do you wish to kill your opponent's entire army, constantly, while protecting your own?  Do you want to run right over them quickly with an unstoppable army of flying creatures, or would you rather slow their army down, freeze them in place, and slowly build up your game?

If you're going to play creatures that cause things to happen when they enter the battlefield, such as tapping an opponent's creatures, granting you land by letting you search for it, or any other ability (two excellent ideas are Pilgrim's Eye and Sunblast Angel), then get flicker creatures so you can keep bringing those cards back and using the ability over and over again.  Whitemane Lion and Emancipation Angel are excellent examples.

If you're running tokens, Growing Ranks really helps your tokens grow.  Anointer Priest is good for token decks, though don't overlook Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Suture Priest, and Healer of the Pride

If you're more interested in blue/white, Ephara, God of the Polis, is hard to beat.  She's a weak god but has powerful card advantage.  (That means you can draw constantly.)  Cards like Stealer of Secrets and Eternal of Harsh Truths supplement that strategy.  If playing blue, never overlook Elgaud Shieldmate.  Your best creature gains partial protection from enemy spells. 

Or maybe you're interested in playing blue/white spell return so you can keep a constant damage defense going?  Sun Titans and Scribe of the Mindful make a good mix, and Riot Control would be most helpful.  You simply use a Riot Control spell when your foe attacks you, then sacrifice a Scribe of the Mindful to get it right back into your hand.  After that, counter-attack on your next turn with Sun Titan and get Scribe of the Mindful back.

And I'll give you some advice about TromokratisNever attack or block with her.  Always use the artifact Dragon Throne of Tarkir on her.  She keeps her hexproof, and gives your entire extra power equal to her impressive numbers until end of turn, either for attack or for defense. 

Hope that helps.