deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Need advice for Merfolk +1/+1 ixalan  (Read 477 times)

Blitz2018

• Decks
Need advice for Merfolk +1/+1 ixalan
« on: December 10, 2017, 06:08:55 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/98955/869453-merfolk-1-1-need-advice

Just need some advice on this ixalan only deck im working on any advice is greatly appreciated.

Firegriff

• Decks
Re: Need advice for Merfolk +1/+1 ixalan
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:07:12 am »

flavourin

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 09:21:37 am »
Herald of Secret Streams  and maybe Shapers of Nature. Shapers of Nature  of nature ability is a bit expensive but I would prefer it before jade guardian. I think 4 mana for what jade guardian does is too expensive, however it is true that it's hexproof can be useful.

Blitz2018

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 07:46:33 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/98955/869453-merfolk-1-1-need-advice
Ok so i have swapped out the 2 jade guardian for 2 Shapers of Nature and the 2 Shaper Apprentice for 2 Herald of Secret Streams.

Atm this is a Ixalan deck only.But in the future im planning on adding Metallic mimic and some other cards to boost the deck even more

Borg

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 08:09:12 pm »
24 lands is a lot for this deck.
I'd remove the 2 Vanquisher's Banner and that would allow you to drop 2 lands as well freeing up 4 spots for something faster.

Blitz2018

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:18:25 pm »
What do you think about Deeproot Champion with a combo River Heralds' Boon its 1 less mana than Vanquisher's Banner so will be better to play in the early game

flavourin

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:27:55 pm »
yeah but if you take out Shaper Apprentice you have nothing with flying or reach so you might have some troubles against flying creatures... maybe you should use some merfolk with flying or something not-merfolk with flying and +1/+1. I would use Siren Lookout or Storm Fleet Aerialist (or put back again Shaper Apprentice). I have to say however that i'm a modern player and I'm not sure if in standard you can go without flying defense.

Also, I've been thinking and maybe Vineshaper Mystic is even better than Shapers of nature. or if you like Shapers of Nature you may want both, Vineshaper Mystic looks really cool for a +1/+1 merfolk deck I think. I would try combinations with both and see how does it works :)

meetjoefair

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 12:57:08 am »
I'm new to Magic just join the local community recently but I have known Magic since my schooling time.
Am also building a Merfolk deck, been reading up a lot and watch a lot of YouTuber on U/G deck
For this I'll swap out
- Tishana's Wayfinder for 4 Metallic Mimic (Merfolk Branchwalker is better)
- Swap out the Watertrap weaver and Shapers of Nature either with Vineshaper Mystic (+1/+1 up to two target) or Jade Guardian (+1/+1 and Hexproof)
- play 4 Herald of Secret Streams (cos it's awesome, btw you have the chance to put him out all your field is full of +1/+1 army)
- For me I don't really care about flying cos if you're playing Merfolk, they don't give a sh*t of the opponent just put out 1 and 2 drops ASAP and keep drawing cards with Chart a Course, Supreme Will, Branchwalker, if you want to have more protection can use Blossoming Defense + Spell Pierce, if opponent gonna use flying? Pay 3 more mana cost by using Supreme Will which you definitely wanna play 4 each.
- You can also use Crushing Canopy to take out annoying flying creatures
- Tempest Caller also a good one, often this card becomes the tie breaker

It's just my observations and tests and my opinions, whenever I edited the deck I'll test drive it with someone at the local store.
Try it out and make sure it suits your play style, don't have to follow everything.
Most importantly enjoy Magic XD

AlucarD91

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 03:42:18 am »
Why you don't play a Deeproot champion?
When is on a Battlefield, Activate River Herald's boon on deeproot champion and take 2 +1/+1 counters and an addictional +1/+1 beacuse its a non creature spell.
Then i play 4 Opt. Have a sinergy whit deeproot champion and draw an extra card.
I use 2 implement of ferocity, in this deck are a good card.

Coldwood

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 04:00:28 am »
i'm using this list, 2 top 4 on FNM trying to be faster and aggro
field with a lots of temur/Sultai, Ramunap and GPG.

https://deckstats.net/decks/67449/850281-merfolk-t2-1-1-8/pt
Even if my heart should cease to beat, my sword and honor shall live forever!!