deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Samurai - Penny Dreadful  (Read 134 times)

MachineKingV

• Decks
Samurai - Penny Dreadful
« on: January 10, 2018, 03:11:42 am »
Samurai - Penny Dreadful

For Penny Dreadful Format (MTGO)

I always wanted to find an opportunity to play Samurai competitively and with Penny Dreadful it's very doable.

I think this is close to as good as Samurai can be. Travel Preparations and Appeal/ Authority are really strong in this format. I think Isao is the only Samurai outside white worth playing (That and maybe Ronin Houndmaster, but it's not in this format oddly.)

Sideboard might need some work and I'm going to play more games before I decide if Konda's Hatamoto is worth playing. (If not, I'll play 1 copy more of each legendary.)

Also debating another Spear of Heliod, it's just dead in multiples (Plus I think travel preparations might be better anyways.)

Green splash is more or less free, since I'm doing nothing on turn 1, I can just fix mana.

Other cards I have considered or am considering:

Wax//Wane
Prepare//Fight
Might of Oaks
Make a Stand
Unflinching Courage
Harm's Way
Sigil Blessing
Silkwrap
Acolyte's Reward
Devouring Light
Collective Effort
Oust
Charge Across the Araba
Faith's Shield
Glare of Heresy
Eerie Interlude
Angelic Purge
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:02:09 am by MachineKingV »

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Samurai - Penny Dreadful
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:12:58 pm »
Hello, I'm not familiar with the Penny Dreadful format. How does it work?

MachineKingV

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 12:39:31 am »
Hello,

In Summary, Penny dreadful is a format where at the beginning of every new set release, all cards that are 0.01 tix on MTGO are legal in the format. Cards can be from any set. The format changes a lot, because as a card becomes popular, its price increases by the new set and then it is no longer legal. (Some of the prices may change during each season, so sometimes you might have to spend 0.02 - 0.04 tix on a card if it picks up.)

It's a great format for those who want to deckbuild and explore cards in magic that may not always be well known. Just because they are 0.01 doesn't always mean they are bad either. Cards like mother of runes and even survival of the fittest were in the format at some point. You would be surprise how many thousands of cards are at only 0.01 tix.

Best part is if you want to build something random , there is so little risk if it goes horribly wrong as a deck would cost you anywhere between 0.5 and maybe 1.25 tix. You can also make a legion of decks for so few tickets.

It's literally the only reason I got on MTGO.

To find Penny dreadful matches just go to Freeform and write "Penny Dreadful" in the comments.

Also you can find MTGO Traders sponsored leagues Penny dreadful games here: https://pennydreadfulmagic.com/league/

You can find more information and the list of current legal cards here: http://pdmtgo.com/

The best search engine to use to sort out what is legal and build decks is Scryfall: https://scryfall.com/advanced

Cheers!

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:44:33 am »
Thank you, that was very informative.