deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] U/G Merfolk  (Read 192 times)

Wreckinghines

• Decks
[Standard] U/G Merfolk
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:02:36 pm »
U/G Merfolk

I have been thinking about creating a tribal deck, and I think that merfolk is an interesting tribal to try building around. This is an attempt at doing a mid-range U/G Merfolk, however I know this may have a long way to go to be relevant in the standard meta right now.

Please give me some feedback about this deck I would love to hear it!

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: [Standard] U/G Merfolk
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:31:01 pm »
I think that an important aspect of Merfolk is their ability to grow. IF you have the focus of the deck be unblockable, untouchable merfolk then your deck will be a greater against your opponent. Just keep in mind that if your opponent can't block your creatures then they will try to use destruction spells against you so keep in mind any wrath abilities they may have. Counter spells will shut down your opponent's back up plans and could secure you some wins. What are your thoughts on this?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:55:00 pm »
Scavenger Grounds may be better in the sideboard unless there's definite decks in your meta that you'll definitely need graveyard hate against, and if that's the case you may want a second one main board.

Overall I like the deck, been thinking that for my next venture back into standard may be with a merfolk tribal.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:56:40 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 09:25:07 pm »
Merfolk tokens that are hexproof plus herald of secret streams is dangerous combo. That or just play the main body merfolks and work on giving them +1/+1 counters.

Wreckinghines

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 12:46:10 am »
Do you believe I should use Rishkar then to give +1 counters to some merfolk, along with using metallic mimic? Also do you suggest using deeproot waters and aquatic incursionor just deeproot waters? @G. Moto and @WWolfe thanks for the suggestion and I'm happy to hear you like it.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 09:46:44 am »
It's no problem, I also have a merfolk deck but it's under changes since the new cards came out. But the metallic mimic WITH the deeproot waters would be a good combo in itself. When you play a merfolk the creature enters with a +1/+1 counter, then the enchantment makes a creature which is hexproof and ALSO enters with a +1/+! counter on it. See how that works? IF you want the mana then it's good to have in the sideboard. But if you want the aggro approach then make the most untouchable creatures that you can.