deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: UG Merfolk 2k18? - Comments  (Read 530 times)

Comment Bot

UG Merfolk 2k18? - Comments
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:59:37 am »
UG Merfolk 2k18?

This topic has been created automatically to discuss this deck.
Dieses Thema wurde automatisch erstellt, um dieses Deck zu diskutieren.

Baseballknights

• Gain life,swarm life, destroy life
  • Decks
Re: UG Merfolk 2k18? - Comments
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:59:43 am »
merrow reejerey would be a great addition

HolyBird2000

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:16:23 am »
Yeah, if this is modern its lacking a bit.  For sure harbingers over branchwalker.  Drawing cards is good but vialing in a harbinger can be game saving.

LaTroyHawkins

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 07:17:49 am »
crashing tide should be removed/replaced, there is the same card without the merfolk text if you want them, and generally that is just not a good modern card. Spreading seas is by far a better choice

Muphil

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:17:17 am »
@latroyhawkins whats the name of the card? Spreading Seas is of course better, but I didnt know there was a card like Crashing Tide, so I have never tested it.

@holybird2000 its just an experiment. I have played Merfolk in several GPs and I know the deck very well. What it was always lacking was like an engine, which we got now with Kumena. I just want to try to be more midrange, but still have the hands which can win fast. You could always go good old MonoU Merfol with Harbingers and Reejereys and it probanly isnt bad. But I want something different and more resiliant, at least i want to test it (:

Ormarossa

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 11:05:55 am »
I like the idea to implement green in a modern build, experimentation is a great thing in this game. That said, i think that Admiral's Order is not a good card, surely not for modern and maybe not even for standard. How many are the odds of an instant you really would like to counter to be casted after your attack? Removal will come before attacker declaration 99% of times, and considering your plan is to bite your opponent as hard and fast as possible, you can find better cards to fill that slot. I would suggest the already known Mana Leak or Spell pierce.
Consider playing a couple of Heroic Intervention, in sideboard if not in main deck, it's a great card especially in go-wide aggros like this one should be (you're playing Kumena, so i assume you want a large board, isn't it?).

Muphil

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 05:45:10 pm »
@Ormarossa I dont know if Admiral's Order is a good card or not, thats why I want to test it and I have to disagree with your assumption that removal gets played before combat. The only thing which is played against us pre combat is Cryptic Command. Normally we have our Vial open on 2, therefore the opponents wait until they play something and even without Vial I have almost never seen anyone who plays removal pre combat against Merfolk.

Why do I think Order is good? Like I said our opponents interact with us either in attack step (Coco, Chord, Flash Creatures) or during blocks (Removal), in those cases Order is very good. In the opponents turn its less good than Spell Pierce in the early turns because it simply costs 3 mana and even later its harder to leave up 3 mana. Still I believe this deck grinds better with all the new additions and therefore we should hit our land drops more consistently, so 3 mana shouldnt be too much of a problem in this deck. Dont get me wrong Cancel is not modern playable, but with the upside of costing 1 mana in combat its a consideration and maybe thats enough.

Spell Pierce was a staple in my decks, but it has its disadvantages and I was never really happy to have it in my deck, it was just the best option available.

Heroic Intervention can be an interesting card, but most of the time it will trade 1 for 1 for removal. We dont wanna leave our guys back defensively and use the Indestructable part. Sometimes it could be useful to get two all in attacks in when you need it, but I think thats a real edge case. So I think there are better options for two mana.

ggtestament

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 11:37:34 pm »
Admiral's Order's fine, it protects your creature during your combat phase (since opponent often cast spot removal after you declared attacker) and post combat main phase.

My problem is Crashing Tide, yes it does draw a card, but bouncing a creature for 3 mana is bad, Vapor Snag is still better since you don't have to keep as many mana open.
Kumena is just too slow. It's too janky.
If Heroic Intervention is no good, try Blossoming Defense
Jadelight Ranger is worse than Branchwalker since that is a 3 drop vs all your other creatures, which are two drops, as HolyBird2000 said, Harbinger of the Tides is better

Field of Ruin might be an interesting idea, since it destroy opponent's valuable nonbasic lands while you vial in your creatures

Muphil

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 01:05:09 pm »
@ggtestament ok you got me, I believe Crashing Tide is not very good, but thats not the point. I just wanted to test it. I know that Vapor Snag is the best Unsummon effect in Modern and if I want to build a Merfolk deck now for a GP I probably play a combination of Vapor Snag/Spell Pierce/Dismember. But like I said, thats not the point.

The point of this deck is to grind and have as much card advantage as possible with 4 Adepts, 4 Branchwalkers, Jadelight Rangers and Kumena. Jadelight Ranger is maybe not good enough but it still needs to be tested.

I disagree with your opinion on Kumena. It costs only 3 mana and it does so many things. It gets through when you have no seas effect. When it gets killed you probably got a card out of it and in board stalls it grows your team. I dont know how good he is, thats why he needs to be tested, but I believe he will find his way into some builds.

Field of Ruin doesnt work with this mana base. Could be a consideration in mono U. I even cut a Mutavault which isnt optimal, but I think its necessary if we play 2 colors and dont only splash green.