deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Chromatic Challenge?  (Read 3728 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Chromatic Challenge?
« on: January 12, 2018, 06:15:18 pm »
Anyone else doing this? The idea behind it is to build an EDH deck for each possible color combination. That means 32 decks.

I'm halfway there with 16 decks...

Monocolored (5)
White- Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant* starting to build
Blue- Talrand, Sky Summoner *finished
Black- Yahenni, Undying Partisan *finished- was Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath so I had built a PW commander
Red- Purphoros, God of the Forge *finished
Green- Rishkar, Peema Renegade *finished

Guilds (10)
Azorious- Azor, the Lawbringer *finished
Dimir-
Rakdos-    
Gruul-    
Selesnya-                      
Orzhov- Daxos the Returned *finished but needs updating
Golgari- Skullbriar, the Walking Grave *finished
Boros- Tajic, Blade of the Legion *finished
Izzet-  Jhoira of the Ghitu * starting to refine decklist     
Simic- 

Shards  & Wedges (10)
Bant- (had Rafiq of the many) *retired
Esper- Chromium *fine tuning
Grixis-     
Jund-             
Naya-       
Abzan- Karador, Ghost Chieftain *finished
Jeskai-
Sultai- Sidisi, Brood Tyrant *finished
Mardu- Edgar Markov *acquiring a few vampires & upgrading lands, then finished
Temur- Animar, Soul of Elements *finished

Four Colors (5)
WUBR-
UBRG-                    
BRGW- Saskia the Unyielding *finished
RGWU-
GWUB-

Misc (2)
5 color- Sliver Overlord *finished
colorless- Hope of Ghirapur* finished

* Finished means a completed deck outside of updates for newly released cards
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:16:16 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
Re: Chromatic Challenge?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 06:32:05 pm »
I think I have one for most without trying lol
Nils is the God I worship

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:50:41 pm »
I'm such a Golgari & mono-black player, that at one point I think it was 9 I had that were just in those colors. Just talking about it makes me want to rebuild my Hapatra -1/-1 counter deck or my Nath discard or my Meren recursion or my...well, you get the point. lol
This space for rent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:54:36 pm »
Until about 2 weeks ago, I was in the same spot I was 6 months ago when some real life issues stalled me at 12 decks. I've built two in the past 2 weeks- granted part of that was vacation time I had to use or lose. Goal is to finish it up by the end of this year.
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:07:10 pm »
R color is annoying because there's only a couple 4 color commanders.. I recommend Yidris for non-white and I have an Ulamog deck you can take a look at

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:30:11 pm »
Definitely will be checking out your Ulamog.

I've already got some of the commanders chosen for the colors I'm missing but the four colored ones are the ones I'm having the hardest time deciding on commanders for. I'm considering doing Vial Smasher & Thrasios so that I have a partner-commander deck and those are the only two of those that I liked paired up.
This space for rent.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 11:17:24 pm »
Odric, Lunarch Marshal would make a great White General.  Unexpected, but load him up with an army with abilities (such as Oketra) and equipment or enchantments that grant abilities and he quickly gets to dominating a field.  Plus I have wrathed a board with him on the field, making all my critters survive, to the dismay of my opponents.

For Abzan, I have the very queen herself, Anafenza the Foremost.  Her deck is where I utilize Odric (even if he could be great on his own), but board wipes definitely hurt my opponents with her on the field.  I also have Sigarda, Heron's Grace providing cover for a mostly human deck and myself.

I can tell you from experience, Thrasios and Vial Smasher did not work out as well as I had hoped.

In Grixis, I have Nekusar, the Mindrazer as one general and Thraximundar as the other.  They are very different decks.  Nekusar makes people cry every time they have to draw and/or discard cards.  Thraximundar, on the other hand, punishes every opponent every time a creature of mine dies.  Thrax takes more time to build up, but once he does is a juggernaut to deal with.

With Bant, I had a Rubina Soulsinger deck that I called La Belle Dame Sans Merci.  I put Feed the Pack and Cathar's Crusade into the deck, robbed them of non-token creatures and fed them to her wolves... Making a very big army of very big wolves to help her out.  I took it apart for my Abzan deck, but it is one I have thought of rebuilding bigger and meaner than ever.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 11:48:31 pm »
Insightful post, thanks!

Any thought on Vial Smasher as a Rakdos commander?
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 12:29:18 am »
Vial Smasher + Thrasios is a tier 1 partnering

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 01:53:56 am »
For Rakdos, I would go with Olivia Voldaren.  Bring in your best sacrifice outlets, steal their creatures and if they try to take them back, feed them to your outlets.
Selesnya I would go for Captain Sisay and pack it withlegendary creatures, including Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist.  Pull any creature you need for your deck, when you need it, no mana required.  Even better if you add Paradox Engine.  Load up on mana dorks and go wild!
Dimir: Circu, Dimir Lobotomost.  Run your opponents' cards out of their decks just by casting spells, no artifacts, no eldrazi.  Just as many blue, black and especially blue/black as you can muster.
Gruul: Thromak the Insatiable.  Build up a wave of tokens and eat them for a massively big commander.  5 eaten means one hit knocks an opponent out.  Protect him with Archetype of Endurance.
Simic: Momir Vig, Simic Visionary.  Again, call what you need when you need it.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 04:16:04 pm »
For Rakdos I'm not sure who I'll use, I already have a vampire tribal deck using Olivia in the 99 and I'm trying to cut back on using cards in multiple decks (actually going through and trimming that back some now but it's hard on some cards like mana rocks & tutors).

Selesnya I was actually looking at Captain Sissay.

Simic I was leaning towards Merfolk tribal just because it's something semi new and not any others in my playgroup.

Gruul & Dimir I haven't started looking at yet but Thromak is interesting as is Circu.

Thanks!
This space for rent.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 08:43:01 pm »
... and I'm trying to cut back on using cards in multiple decks (actually going through and trimming that back some now but it's hard on some cards like mana rocks & tutors).

I do the same thing.  I only allow myself 1 copy throughout all my decks.  I did compile a list of cards that I permit myself as many as I want/need.  It is predominantly cards that have been printed in at least 4 or 5 Commander Decks; as I always buy myself one of each when they come out.  So Command Tower, Sol Ring, Lightning Greaves are all on the list, as are most (if not all) of the karoos and signets.

Happy Brewing!  :)
Happy Brewing!
:)

TeroxCultus

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 09:11:35 pm »
I don't know if it fits to your rules ... but in esper I'm playing Zur the Enchanter ...

Check out my other Commander / EDH Decks :)

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 09:29:12 pm »
I'm quite far from the completed challenge - I have a problem of not having an edh playgroup that fits my style of play (pretty close to 60-75% rule, I guess), but I've put together 2 decks: a jund -1/-1 theme with proshh as general and a GW cats go wide or tall build with the new Mirri at the helm.

I'd like to do a dimir mill deck, an azorius flyers/pillow fort, a 'cast spells without paying their mana cost tribal' build, a golgari sacrifice deck with that 2/2 insect death shaman that had been hanging out with Vraska...more, but I'm not made of $ :)

I've got one in the works that I'll finish next - Samut's Naya Tapdancers. All cards that care about tapping and untapping. That'll be 3 completed :D  I mainly do it as a mental exercise until I find a playgroup not all about turn 5 kills in edh.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 05:10:59 am »
... and I'm trying to cut back on using cards in multiple decks (actually going through and trimming that back some now but it's hard on some cards like mana rocks & tutors).

I do the same thing.  I only allow myself 1 copy throughout all my decks.  I did compile a list of cards that I permit myself as many as I want/need.  It is predominantly cards that have been printed in at least 4 or 5 Commander Decks; as I always buy myself one of each when they come out.  So Command Tower, Sol Ring, Lightning Greaves are all on the list, as are most (if not all) of the karoos and signets.

Happy Brewing!  :)

Thanks man. I currently have 81 cards remaining that are duplicated across my decks (I've cut the number in half), some are harder to adjust than others due to availability of functional reprints or cards that do close enough to the same thing or finding an alternative to that cards purpose. Some of these (about 15 or so) were purposely duplicated in two decks due to having both a Daxos of Meletis deck and a Daxos the Returned deck. Now that Daxos will no longer be leading the Azorius deck (he'll be surrendering command to Azor upon his release), that little bit of added flavor across the two decks is being changed.

Hopefully by the end of the month I'll be done with this project and can get back to finishing up the Chromatic Challenge.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:22:10 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.