deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Ascended Conscription  (Read 1076 times)

Soren841

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Ascended Conscription
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 10:11:52 pm »
The reason for remand is the mana cost and the card draw.. its a great tempo play and, under isochron scepter, a card draw engine. Imo little synergies like that are what make decks fun
Nils is the God I worship

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 10:25:57 pm »
But having multiple little synergies in a deck doesn't help with the overall strength of the deck. IF you have to micro manage multiple little strategies then it takes away from the focus of the deck. Besides having dissolve and deny existence remove the threat. Play that on a glory bringer and they don't get to play it again. Also they are also instant spells so they would work better with the snapcaster mage. If card draw is a concern then having mentor of the meek will give you a card EVERY time a weak creature you control enters the field. That includes tokens.
   * I meant to type Dissipate instead of Disolve

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 10:56:25 pm »
I mean it doesnt detract from the deck. Theres a counter in that slot either way. May as well have it be a tempo play that can be imprinted for a draw engine instead of a hard counter that's 3 mana

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 04:58:13 pm »
    But the original poster of this deck now knows how he wants to run his deck, he knows the core of what he wants in it, and I literally just gave him a laundry list of cards to look over. In all honesty, if he chooses to not use a single card that I recommended then that's fine because at the end of the day it's his choice to make. Now don't get me wrong, if he wants to use your sceptor combo I do see other targets but if anything having multiples of repeal would be a better choice because it's more flexible because it does the same thing AND because of the (X) in it's casting cost it can hit other stuff. Personally I'd rather stick to hard counters and ramp into the lands that I need early game. But of course this isn't my deck and it's entirely up to Shadowultd.
     So in your opinion Shadowultd, how do you feel about the deck and the recommendations that you've been receiving?

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 06:45:38 pm »
Repeal is pretty sweet

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 06:46:17 pm »
But keep in mind under scepter x=0

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 10:33:28 pm »
The casting cost is 0 but you have to pay (X) mana according to the casting cost of the spell your opponent is playing to cancel it. Putting it on the scepter is almost redundant since you have to pay mana according to the actual cost of another spell being played.

shadowultd

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 07:28:29 pm »
I have a few suggestions that may aid you in your deck construction. I'll run down the list so that you see all of your alternatives;

Hey thanks for all the suggestions:) I wanna testplay the deck in it's current form before making any further changes but I will at least add some of these to the maybeboard for future reference. Here's my thoughts on some of em.

Angelic Overseer , Angel of glory's rise,  & Dearly departed: Seems like a nice choice if I decide to run more humans but as is there are only 5 in the deck I'll pass for now.

Mentor of the meek: I can see where your going with this one but since I have spirit lords half of them will be coming in as 3/3's severely limiting his effect. I probably have enough draw power via Ancestral Vision , Serum Visions and Remand (the latter also works well with Isochron Scepter)

Fiend hunter: Basically a human Spell Queller. May be good if I decide to add more humans.

dissipate: Doesn't work with Isochron Scepter remand does and gives draw power. In the long term I think remand works out better for me.

Spare from evil: Certainly an interesting card and one I'd consider. It's similar to Spirit Mantle for me (which reminds me to move that to my maybeboard where it should be.

Angel of jubilation: Ok I have two main problems with him/her It's devotion to white makes it a little hard to cast at times although it's not the worst in the world. The other issue is that it turns off my shocklands since the second ability affects all players.

Herald of war: Again not enough humans to really make this one viable right now. I am curious however does his effect work with Luminarch Ascension angel ability?

Rattlechains: Could be useful although I'd probably be leaving mana up for counter-spells instead.

Drogskol Cavalry: Too costly for my liking. I'd take Drogskol Reaver over him personally but even he feels a bit costly for this deck.

uninvited geist: First of all I love the name of this card:D He's also quite viable too nice!

Invocation of saint traft: Very interesting card. I may be adding this one in the future.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:33:46 pm by shadowultd »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 02:57:40 am »
Moto, I think what Soren meant about Repeal on Scepter is that once you exile Repeal with the Scepter, X=0 any time you cast the copy....

6/8/2016: If the exiled card has X in its mana cost, you must choose 0 as the value for X when casting it.

In other words, you could only use it to counter spells with CMC of 0.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 02:59:51 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 05:32:33 am »
@WWolfe, thank you for the rule find there. I wasn't aware of the (x) = Zero part. What I was trying to get at  was that if you're going to run counters in a deck then it'd be good to have a counter that can be used for various spells Like for example, you could always have a bunch of " cancel " in your deck and pay 3-mana for everything. Or you can use a spell that can fluctuate it's cost as need be. But I get what you are saying though.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 08:40:51 pm »
I use to run Isochron Scepter in an artifact EDH deck (man I miss that deck) with Geist of Saint Traft as the commander, in it were lots of good control targets for the scepter...counterspell, mana leak, mana drain, snap, and even mystical tutor to look for Beacon of Tomorrows to take as many extra turns as I wanted. Of course that deck was set up to control the board so that unless the opponent was playing something Supreme Verdictish (uncounterable) my stuff was safe.

It also was set up with Unwinding Clock so that almost all my stuff untapped each turn & lots of artifact ramp (Coalition Relic, Mana Vault, Thran Dynamo, Azorius Signet, Sol Ring, etc.) to untap with the clock as well. It was also set in a way that if I didn't draw or something happened to the scepter that it was solid enough without it to still win.

Long story short...Isochron Scepter is a great card, IF your deck is set up to work with it and works as well without it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:44:12 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

shadowultd

• Decks
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 09:22:59 pm »
Just adding some more creatures for better aggro and turning it more into a spirit focused deckm

Revision 4

Added/removed cards:
+2 Invocation of Saint Traft
+4 Uninvited Geist

Changed amounts:
-2 (Main) +2 (SB) Baneslayer Angel
-1 Delver of Secrets
+2 Geist of Saint Traft
-2 (Main) +2 (SB) Ghostly Prison
-2 (Main) +2 (SB) Serum Visions
-1 Spell Queller
+1 (SB) Cryptic Command

shadowultd

• Decks
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 02:45:48 pm »
Added some ghostly prisons for more creature control and mana strain for my opponent.

Revision 10

Added/removed cards:
-2 Luminarch Ascension
+2 Ghostly Prison

shadowultd

• Decks
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 12:45:02 pm »

Revision 12

Added/removed cards:
-2 Invocation of Saint Traft
+2 Spirit Mantle

Changed amounts:
+1 Island
-1 Mana Leak

ezqimo

• Decks
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2021, 12:25:52 pm »
Cool I saw you're gameplay video on forest bear studios ... have a look at my channel: casual mtg decks ... I think you like me content :-)