deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Sweet pre-release pulls?  (Read 1025 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Sweet pre-release pulls?
« on: January 14, 2018, 08:29:09 pm »
Ok, I wasn't able to attend a pre-release due to real life issues...who went and what sweet goodies did you get?
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
Re: Sweet pre-release pulls?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:50:35 pm »
Currently at it, my deck can pull game 1 and almost game 2 and I haven't used the new edits but my negates just sit dead in my hand and the blue elder dino is the worst in limited
Nils is the God I worship

LittleStar

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 09:00:10 pm »
I got a promo Zacama and pulled an Etali and some sweet dino support guys, so its looking like an RGW dinos build is in my future.

Managed to pull enough to build a semi-ok UG merfolk tempo/aggro deck to play the prere event with, but none of the big exciting merfolk.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:10:21 pm by LittleStar »

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 09:09:47 pm »

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:58:22 pm »
Unfortunate you didn't get to go Wwolfe, if it helps assuage the loss (now that is a card name, see footnote below) I'll share:

Pool 1, played WB vampires and splashed green for graveyard recursion, 6 removal in bw paired with weaker vamps. Rares: Settle the Wreckage, Tishana, Mastermind's Acquisition, Proteam Raider, Admiral's Order, Awakened Amalgam,  Promo was Journey to Eternity. 1-3 record, prize pack: Legion Lieutenant, Zapalta, Primal Dawn.

Pool 2, played gu merfolk, most fun deck all about tempo at common,  used 2 rares and 6 uncommons with 2 big dinos as finishers.  Rares: Induced Amnesia, Tishana, Dead Man's Chest, Sanctum Seeker, Timestream Navigator, Ghalta, Primal Hunger, Promo was Silent Gravestone. Also got raging regisaur, unclaimed territory, merfolk mistbinder, deadeye brawler. 2-1-1 on ID in 4th round. Prize packs: Timestream Navigator, Silvergill Adept, Crafty Cutpurse.

Pool 3, played naya dinos with vampiric support, forced so I could play a mythic. Rares: Sunbird's Invocation, Priest of the Wakening Sun, Path of Mettle, Tilonalli's Summoner, Seigehorn Ceratops, Huatli, Radiant Champion, Promo was Paladin of Atonement. 3-1 record; I made a single misplay against probably my toughest matchup (deck v deck). That was enough, but I'm still really proud of my play and deck choice. Prize packs: Sphinx's Decree, Blood Sun, 2x Raging Regisuar, Rekindling Phoenix.

$60 for 24 packs and 3 promo cards. Over 12 hours of fun play with new cards and a relaxed attitude. Great value.

Footnote - I thought of a card idea while typing above, didn't want to clutter message:
Mock card - "Assuage the Loss" 2WW enchantment - whenever a source would deal damage to you, reduce that damage by half, rounded down, and put an assuage counter on ~. During upkeep, sacrifice ~ unless you pay upkeep cost of: sac 1 white nontoken permanent for each assuage counter on ~. If ~ is sacrificed in this way,  lose 10 life.
Maybe there is already a card like this.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 11:11:06 pm »
I only went to 1 pre-release and I just didn't open enough to get all the way some games I crushed it but I ended up going 0-4.. feelsbad for my first limited event

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 11:28:40 pm »
I only went to 1 pre-release and I just didn't open enough to get all the way some games I crushed it but I ended up going 0-4.. feelsbad for my first limited event

A lot with limited has to do with your card pool. Back in Theros I went to 4 pre-releases, went 4-0 at two with great pools (both heroic- one uw, one rw and Calvary Pegasus), went 0-4 at one and 1-3 at the fourth. Neither of the last two did I pull anything that I could really make a coherent deck out of that had a chance knowing what decks I'd seen at the other events, so I just played cards I was excited for (Ashiok in one & Elspeth at another) and enjoyed that experience.
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 12:11:41 am »
Deck: RIX PR
This is the main, and best, deck that I was able to build. It did ok but I didn't realize it had 41 cards and I didn't know how much land to put. Some games it got there but others the draw just didn't work

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 12:23:00 am »
That's what it could have been with better pulls (i bought a second box thing after the event)if u look at revision 1 that's what it was

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 12:41:09 am »
@Soren841, don't feel bad about it. I only went to the midnight release and I had enough in my 1 card pool to build two separate decks. MY decks were balanced mana wise and even though I built them larger than most peoples they needed it since they were tri-color with minimum support each. The decks ran well but at the worst times, like clockwork, I always got mana flooded or strangely mana drought at the wrong time. My overall record was 1/3/1, but most of the people I played against were young people and I was able to teach them some new stuff since it was also their first time going to a pre-release. Overall it was a good night though. I actually posted both of my decks under the deck review if anyone wants to see them.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 12:50:06 am »
Deck: RIX PR
Another could have been for my almost good pirate deck

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 01:36:00 am »
Did you experience any issues with your mana or was it just that you didn't have a lot of uses for your spells?

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 01:42:53 am »
Shatter was never used, the amulet saved a game all on it's own turn 3, I scried sky terror to the bottom after a mull to 6 on Game 2 and drew a plains next. Probably would've won that game and went 1-3 If I had kept. My other deck had more mana flood issues but yeah I opened 0 duals and no evolving wilds so that's how it works I guess

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 01:50:50 am »
Some things like destroy target artifact I'd sideboard. Most of the artifacts in this set do have relevance but I've noticed that this seems to be a heavily aggro format. People tend to use artifacts sparingly unless their decks needed them. As far as lands go I prefer to have basics. Most of my cards that I was playing had a 5 or less mana curve so as long as I'm getting basic lands every turn I'm good with my mana base.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 02:11:39 am »

I pulled this after winning my pre-release in London, does that count? ;D