deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Etali, Primal Storm EDH Ideas  (Read 586 times)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Etali, Primal Storm EDH Ideas
« on: January 24, 2018, 03:46:02 pm »
I definitely want to make/build around Etali, Primal Storm. I want to cast stuff for free because it will be fun to see what happens especially in multiplayer format as EDH. I am not sure what type of cards it really needs or what if any combos. I am also thinking of doing multiple attack phases and making Etali, Primal Storm unblockable. Should I use auras, enchantments, equipments. How many other creatures.

I just need ideas tossed around and ideas to help figure out what Etali, Primal Storm is going to be doing especially with the free casting.

I could add say Sunbird's Invocation and cast more free stuff.. I don't know many shananigans and what for mono red but I do want to try to make it work somehow and use it at one of my EDH playgroups.

Since I am using Etali, I would like cards such as reverberate and howl of the horde because copying free spells is a good thing.

Thanks for any help :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 03:55:50 pm by robort »
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
Re: Etali, Primal Storm EDH Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 06:40:33 pm »
My friend had a real janky mono red edh deck that durdeled around and burned someone out and died. you could have him be a commander for that type of deck or have a weird mono red storm deck with neheb the eternal that way you get tons of mana after each combat phase and keep doing a bunch of nonsense that would be cool.

mono red in commander is weird cuz if its not goblins its super janky but honestly like playing every cheap burn spell plus cheap red creatures and curving in to etali then doing some multiple attack steps would be pretty fun. play cards like young pyromancer, thermo alchemist, theres an old 6/1 legend thats funny but i can't remember its name. maybe brass's bounty copy that with one of the copy spell effects would be ridiculous. thats the way I would go, now it would be super durdely and janky but it would be super fun.

hope this gives you some ideas.   If my friend still has that deck list laying around i will put it up for you to see i dont think he has it anymore tho.
I can't even read

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 06:58:54 pm »
I am excited to build an Etali deck as well.  My plan is to go wide with "cast for free" effects ... Hazoret's Undying Fury, Izzet Chemister, Mindclaw Shaman, Mizzix's Mastery, Reversal of Fortune.
Augment with Fork and Reverberate type cards.

Possibility Storm and Chaos Warp are good for mono-red.

Happy Brewing!  :)
Happy Brewing!
:)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 12:31:08 am »
Anarchist is decent recursion in mono-red, and Wheel of Fortune is probably the most popular draw spell in mono-red. Wheel of Fate is ok as well.

If you're looking for pure shenanigans, Warp World is kind of funny.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 05:44:31 pm »
I would recommend having more creatures than spells. This way you'd have plenty of board presence going forward in the battle. Spells I'd say having cards that let you scry like bolt of keranos. This way you can stack the deck and play what you want faster. Also if you do add enchantments let them be ones that stay on board and not the auras. warstorm surge would be great to have. Also there's lightning in the picture :)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 07:44:13 pm »
Chandra, the Firebrand, Increasing Vengeance, Mirari, Mirrorwing Dragon, Mizzix's Mastery, Primal Amulet, Pyromancer's Goggles, Reiterate, Wild Ricochet.  I am curious how Etali would interact with Undying Flames, or any other spell with the Epic ability...

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 09:18:07 pm »
Epic shuts down Etali.  Etali says that "you may cast those spells".  The epic ability says that "you can't cast spells".  Since CAN'T trumps CAN, you can't.

Happy Brewing!  :)
Happy Brewing!

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 01:59:58 am »
Well looks like I am going big with etali, dragons and extra attack phases.. I just need to figure out what works with what and what I need to bring in such as possible mana ramp and even draw cards.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 02:31:51 am »
Happy Brewing!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 03:04:35 am »
Personally I prefer Caged Sun to Gauntlet of Power. Sure it costs one mana more to put out but the +1/+1 only applies to your creatures, same with the additional mana from lands. Plus if you are playing non-basics, Gauntlet of Power doesn't apply the mana ability to non-basics where as Caged Sun does.

Breathe of Fury gives extra combat steps, as does World at War. There are others but those are the two I use in some of my decks.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 04:25:41 am »
I tried building Etali, but the more I tried, the more I realized that I may as well just play Narset. But here's what I think would work really well.

Haste: You want to attack with Etali as soon as possible. Hammer of Purphoros, Fervor, Generator Servant, Need for Speed, and Bloodlust Inciter are all really cheap, and work well.

Extra Combat: Attacking more than once helps a lot. Relentless Assault, Combat Celebrant, and Fury of the Horde.

Top-Deck manipulation: Sensei's Divining Top, Scroll Rack Lantern of Insight (Preferably with stuff like Pyxis of Pandemonium), and anything that let's you scry. Some of these may be beyond your budget.

Endgame: Just do crazy stuff. Possibility Storm is a go-to, as it only affects cards cast from your hand, not cards from exile. Sunbird's Invocation is excellent, and then other high cost cards. Because you won't be spending mana on them, don't be scared to throw in Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, or Blightsteel Colossus. If they're outside your price range, then you can instead use Bearer of the Heavens, Soul of Shandalar, Ulamog's Crusher, and other really powerful creatures.

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 06:42:53 am »
channel fireball just uploaded a etali commander deck its really just a big mana mono red deck
I can't even read

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 02:27:51 pm »
channel fireball just uploaded a etali commander deck its really just a big mana mono red deck

That is what I would think the conclusion is especially from everyone. Get out Etali quick with haste with multiple attacks and play your big stuff for free. Not to mention the commander damage which I think you'd be looking to do and take out players rather quickly with commander damage instead of long term.

I am probably still going to go dragons but I am missing a few cards with the suggestions such as the Eldrazi but I have blightsteel. Missing the top but that I will buy. It's definitely going to be a fun deck to try once I actually complete it.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 02:33:33 pm »
Narset is just better in every way. There arent enough cheap mana doublers to make mono color better, especially considering Narset has blue
Nils is the God I worship

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 02:46:09 pm »
Yes.  But the FUN part of Etali is that you get to play other people's spells.  With Narset, you just get to play your own deck.
Happy Brewing!