deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Dominaria theories predictions  (Read 5152 times)

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
Dominaria theories predictions
« on: January 26, 2018, 07:36:29 pm »
So i dont know anything about dominaria other than its the plan liliana comes from any ideas you all have about cards or story.
I don't think we will see jace and voraska i think its safe to bet we  will see lili but what else

Ideas?
I can't even read

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Dominaria theories predictions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 08:36:03 pm »
I'm hoping we get planeswalker cards for Jhoira, Karn, & Teferi. I know they're the art we've seen so far, but we've seen announcement art before that didn't translate to planeswalker cards for those characters.

I'd love to see some classic cards make a return as well. Lightning Bolt, Llanowar Elves, Counterspell, etc.. Stuff that really celebrates the fact that this is Magic's 25th anniversary year.

And I know this will never happen but...I'd love to see a one time, limited run of cards on the reserved list...yea I know, will never happen.
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 08:49:42 pm »
I don't think theyll make another Teferi planeswalker
Nils is the God I worship

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 10:16:43 pm »
I likes wolfs Ideas but Llanowar elves, bolt, counterspell are all way to good for standard sadly although I really want Counterspell to be modern legal I think that would be awesome.

I also agree with a limited run of reserved list cards but I doubt that will happen sadly.

Karn would be cool but I think most people will be super disappointed since the bar is so high with Karn Liberated. I'm excited for what ever is coming really. 
I can't even read

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 10:28:40 pm »

So i dont know anything about dominaria other than its the plan liliana comes from any ideas you all have about cards or story.
I don't think we will see jace and voraska i think its safe to bet we  will see lili but what else

Ideas?

Dominaria was THE setting for Magic for many years.  It is the plane on which almost every pre-modern set was set:

Alpha/Beta/Unlimited
Antiquities
Legends
The Dark
Fallen Empires
Ice Age
Alliances
Mirage
Visions
Weatherlight
Tempest*
Stronghold*
Exodus*
Urza's Saga
Urza's Legacy
Urza's Destiny
Invasion
Planeshift
Apocalypse
Odyssey
Torment
Judgment
Onslaught
Legions
Scourge

*The Tempest block (called the Rath cycle at that time) was set in Dominaria, but the plane of Dominaria had been overlain with the plane of Rath.

The only pre-modern sets not to be set on Dominaria were Arabian Nights, Homelands, Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, and Prophecy.

We did not return to Dominaria (aside from the one-off novelty set of Coldsnap) until Time Spiral block.  And we have not been back since.  Time Spiral block is when The Mending occurred.

We have seen a large chunk of Dominaria's history.  Much more than from any other plane.  It has been home to many characters and locales throughout its history.

The new set of the same name could theoretically be set in any time frame, although I think most likely it will be the Post-Mending "future" that we have not seen yet.

We could see call backs to ancient locales like Shiv or Llanowar or to characters like the elder dragons.

Since this is the home of all Magic mechanics prior to the Modern era, I think the field is wide open as far a mechanics are concerned for the set.  I do not suspect that we will see much of retired mechanics like protection or flanking.

With the printing of Teferi's Protection in the latest Commander decks, I am hopeful for the return of phasing.
Happy Brewing!
:)

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 03:41:58 am »
Ohhh okay I remember I knew dominaria was old and it was Urza's place but I didn't know all the other stuff. Cool Im excited
I can't even read

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 05:52:27 am »
Karn would be cool but I think most people will be super disappointed since the bar is so high with Karn Liberated. I'm excited for what ever is coming really.

I think Karn will be a tough one to do if he does get a PW card. The bar is set so high with his previous one that almost anything they do will be a disappointment to a lot of people...either it will be too powerful (again) or it will be too weak to live up to expectations. Either way, I don't envy R&D on this one.

Regardless I'm stoked about the return to this plane!
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 02:03:39 am »
 So besides the Phyrexians, are there any notable villains besides the raven man that we should keep our eyes peeled for?

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 02:23:20 am »
I wasn't very plugged in to the lore back then, just into the cards at the time.  But back then it seemed to be all about the Phyrexians.  The Brother's War (between Urza and Mishra) involved the Phyrexians.  The namesake for the Invasion block was the Phyrexian invasion of Domniaria.  There were a few minor characters back then.  But as I said, it was typically the protagonists vs the Phyrexians.  People switched sides on occasion too.  Nicol Bolas has since been retconned into a big baddy from the time.  And the last time we saw Dominaria (Time Spiral block) was at The Mending.  This is where it happened.  This is the spot where the event that stripped Bolas of his god-like powers occurred.  I could see Bolas (or at least Bolas's henchmen) being there.

A lot of characters from that time have died.  But then I was also thinking that the last time we saw Dominaria, it was left temporally fractured.  Past/Present/Future all intermingling and changing.  It is possible that because of these events we could see some characters "resurrected".

I think time manipulation, in a similar vein to the suspend mechanic, may be a theme in the Dominaria expansion.  Perhaps phasing.

Happy Brewing!

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 02:28:54 am »
They brought 1 extra turn spell into RIX.. foreshadowing?
Nils is the God I worship

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 02:59:56 am »
I think that Bolas may be planning to do something with the Immortal Sun and his new Undead army. Bolas has reformed Alara, Sent tezzeret to acquire the immortal sun, has literally WRECKED Amonkhet, Aided in the release of the Eldrazi on Zendikar, and various other nefarious deeds. But the fact is that Bolas has MANY agents under his hire. Perhaps he's setting up his end game so that he can conquer worlds by connecting them.

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 08:56:20 pm »
maybe bolas refuels the remenats of Phyrexia and try to start the civil war again
I can't even read

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 11:47:10 pm »
I just don't want another Jace card, I'm kind of sick of the lad.
This space for rent.

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 03:05:51 am »
I just don't want another Jace card, I'm kind of sick of the lad.

Jace, The Booster Filler.

I like the one theory I saw that Urza would go all force ghost and guide Jace.
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 03:20:53 am »
Maybe we can focus on Gideon or Nissa. Gideon and Chandra end up on theros and Gideon has some clashes with the past. or maybe Nissa finds Liliana on Dominaria, it would be interesting to meet the woman who was mentoring Liliana in her youth....as a zombie :)