deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Dominaria theories predictions  (Read 5062 times)

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
Re: Dominaria theories predictions
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2018, 06:48:48 pm »
A lot of folks are hopeful for the return of Lightning Bolt and Doom Blade.  I am uncertain as to whether Wizards will put them in Standard right now.  I am pessimistically hopeful. 
There is one card that I thought would be a shoe-in for Ixalan - Birds of Paradise.  I figured it was a flavor slam dunk.  Especially with some 3-color tribes.  The only reason that I can figure that it didn't get printed in Ixalan is that it is in Dominaria.

Thoughts?

We agree, those are desired cards, but all have been judged too powerful for the standard wizards wants;  they've said as much in several articles on the mothership. My prediction is the players' desire for those cards will be satisfied with new art reprints in 25th anniversary set, not in Standard. But I can see an outside chance Wizards breaks from their "new standard" and print a really overpowered card in standard because they have more of a chance to print narrow answers in the core set if the new superpowered cards get out of hand.

I'm thinking wizards plays it safe in standard while giving players reprints of cards like doomblade, birds, and bolt or cards like those that have been reprinted a lot - they don't lose much reprint equity that way. As Wizards is a company, I'm basing my predictions on what a company would do in their best interests - not so much what players want. As much as they want to make fans happy with powerful cards they have to be careful about the hordes of complainers when a powerful card 'breaks' standard.

@Soren841, that kind of hits your point as well - wizards makes very little money from legacy and vintage formats - the cards in those decks are purchased in the secondary markets.  Sure, they can reprint sought after cards to make sure boxes get cracked, but they can only do that so many times before they use up all their reprint equity. Also, as more boxes get cracked for chase cards it drives down the value of all the other cards in the set. This means it is less likely that the average pack-buyer gets a $ rare, so they are not encouraged to keep cracking packs at home. At some point this costs wizards more in sales than they make from the websites cracking sealed product trying to find the chase card.. In articles on the mothership wizards talks about this and how they try to get 2 or 3 cards each new standard set that MAY shake up older formats.

Anyway, that's just my prediction for the set's power level, based on my belief wizards will do what they think is ťhe best way to make the most $ while upsetting the fewest fans. I'm not saying anyone else is wrong :)
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2018, 01:52:48 am »
I think standard would be a lot more interesting with a lot of the cards stated before Birds of Paradise would have made the Naya Dino Deck playable but at the same time if printed in Ixilian it would have just replace attune with aether minus the energy gain and the energy deck would probably remain pretty dominate. I think powerful cards like Birds of Paradise. Llanowar Elves, Lightning Bolt are very unlikely cards to be printed in standard sets simply because they are just so powerful. Its why they don't print stuff like that or preordain although preordain may be a bit more powerful. I would love to see counterspell printed into standard making it modern legal. I think wizards wants standard to be an easily accessable low power level set for new players to jump into. I think they could raise the power level but if they did that they couldn't do that easily because you get what we had in Kaladesh. If they were to do that I would think they start with Dominaria and sadly pirates and dinos would end up relegated to commander and casual play. But in doing that that the sets following Dominaria would have to be at the same power level. I think another reason WOTC may be reluctant to do that is powercreep. each set we have seen a handful of powerful cards that are arguably playable in older formats IE energy but they don't have the support do so because they don't have enough equally powerful cards to back them up.
I think if in 5-6 years if energy is reprinted as a mechanic then we could see an energy winter in modern akin to the elderazi winter in modern when OGW came out. maybe not the same level but you get what I'm saying. I feel Dominaria is going to disappoint people in power level in favor of going all in on the call backs and flavor. I could be wrong but who knows.
I can't even read

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2018, 02:22:46 am »
Its not about attune, they banned it for the energy.
Nils is the God I worship

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2018, 05:15:34 am »
well still
I can't even read

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2018, 05:33:42 am »
Counterspell is too powerful and shapes the meta into draw-go which Wizards doesnt want.
Nils is the God I worship

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2018, 03:04:19 pm »
I am not big in the lore but if I can recall Innistrad especially the return. Return to Innistrad indeed brought things back per example Avacyn. Just not as powerful or any reprints of Innistrad. I am going to say Dominaria is going to be the same way. Since return to Innistrad was well received and accepted. I wouldn't see why Dominaria shouldn't be the same. What or who returns from Dominaria will remain to be seen
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2018, 12:58:10 am »
I agree that we likely won't see a shift in power level, but it's going to be interesting to see if they push the envelope at all or if it's the same level.

Personally I just want a Jhoira PW card.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2018, 03:53:25 pm »
If wizards wants to control the power creep they are going to need to be more careful with the power level of the sets. Less game shifting mechanics.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 06:53:43 pm »
Spoiler season needs to hurry up....
This space for rent.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2018, 10:17:46 pm »
Spoiler season needs to hurry up....

You'll have to be patient for at least another month, WWolfe  :P
Spoilers should come out 20 days before the pre-release date, so beginning of April?

I reckon pain lands will be reintroduced in Dominaria (Llanowar Wastes, Caves of Koilos, Yavimaya Coast, Shivan Reef)
Makes sense, no?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2018, 10:25:30 pm »
Most likely April, will probably be a few things announced a little before then.

I could see the pain lands coming back, they definitely would make sense.
This space for rent.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2018, 10:32:11 pm »
I've heard some chatter though, you might be interested to know, that Jhoira and Teferi will be legendary cards, and not planeswalkers.

And it is entirely possible there will be a masterpiece series for (legends)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2018, 10:41:49 pm »
A Masterpiece series in this set would make total sense though I wonder what we'd get in it with Masters 25 coming out a little beforehand. Maybe something like Doom Blade or Lightning Bolt?

That'll be a little disappointing if Jhoira & Teferri aren't PW cards but I can see where that would make sense, at least for Teferri. Karn is the one that will be hard to pull off as a PW after his previous card being so good.

This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2018, 07:25:25 am »
But having old planeswalkers become legendary creatures must have some significance to the story. After all planeswalkers have lost their sparks before, their sparks have also been taken before as well. Maybe Nicol Bolas wants the immortal sun for a reason. Ugin and Azor wanted so that it would serve as the cage for Nicol. What if Nicol Bolas starts hunting other planeswalkers. Think Garruk but more strategic...

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2018, 04:50:01 pm »
That's possible, I guess as long as the cards are card (I want new toys for EDH decks), I can deal with which ever way the storyline takes things...not that I have much choice lol.
This space for rent.