deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] They asked me not to play this deck  (Read 555 times)

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
[Modern] They asked me not to play this deck
« on: January 30, 2018, 07:27:46 am »
They asked me not to play this deck

Like, literally.  My LGS asked me not to play this deck.  I only brought it because I was tired of the same people playing the same 3 "turn 3.5 win" decks.  So I brought one that just grinds the game to a halt. 

Update to my lantern deck after talking to another guy who also plays it.  He gave me some nice cards to try.  This is kind of a merge of his and my decks. 

"Quick" Backstory: I've wanted to build a lantern control deck ever since I started playing (which was about when Lantern Control came out).  I love the idea of control, and LC is the best kind of control.  I wasn't going to build it, though, because it is kinda a superdouche deck.  But then the people in my playgroup started building crazy horsecrap decks (8-rack, ubermill, anything Jeskai) so I was like "Fine, if they insist on building these, then I will try to build a deck that they can't beat."  I put more time, effort, and research into this than any of the other decks.  And I'm still going.  Love this deck. 

The idea, for those who don't know, is to use Lantern of Insight combined with Codex Shredder and Goulcaller's Bell to mill good cards into your graveyard, and make sure your opponent only ever draws crap cards.  Mana flood them, or mana starve them.  Or leave them with 2 mana and a hand full of 9+ cards.  It's up to you! 

I always wanted to make a lantern control deck.  I know, it's a terrible deck.  I know.  I get it.  But it's so, so, SO much fun!  Plus, I'm stuck in a playgroup of people who insist on playing decks like 8rack and UB Mill and Jeskai Ascendancy.  Just the worse kind of people.  So I figured I'd try to make a deck that is equally frustrating. 

Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

VigilantPulse

• Decks
Re: [Modern] They asked me not to play this deck
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 01:55:11 pm »
I’m suprised your group doesn’t use infect

Solly

• be nice eat rice
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 02:16:44 pm »
winning con? pseudomilling?

ItzzRipTide

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 04:33:53 pm »
I bet your a genji main

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 04:38:36 pm »
Please try not to make useless comments with no purpose..
Nils is the God I worship

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 06:48:56 pm »
I bet your a genji main

Hahahaha.  Actually, believe it or not I don't play that game.  Although I did.  Mercy and Lucio were my characters.  #HealsForLife

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 06:52:20 pm »
winning con? pseudomilling?

Yes.  The wincon is, generally, your opponent scoops when they are utterly locked out.  The pieces assemble to form a pretty hard lock.  Discard lets you attack their hand, and the mill rocks + lantern let you control what they actually draw.  It's kind of like a draw-lock, but instead of preventing them from drawing completely, you are preventing them from drawing anything meaningful. 

I used to run an alternate wincon of Ghirapur Æther Grid.  But I ended up getting the mill win far-more often than a damage win.  So I just cut it.  But not without a bitter fight (I think I was the last Lantern player to keep it in)

Modern >

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 06:56:38 pm »
I’m suprised your group doesn’t use infect

The LGS I play at plays infect, and this is about a 50/50 against them.  60/40 in its new iteration. 

My casual group (tuesdays) doesn't play infect.  IN fact we have a rule that we don't allow infect cards.  It's one of the few examples of an entire archetype that I think should be banned. 

Modern >

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 06:16:39 am »
Took out a shredder. Statistically, 3 brutality + 3 shredder outperforms, by a lot, 4 and 2.

I played the deck today after a hiatus. I tell you, I love lantern control. More than any deck. In fact, I actually foujnd a way to duplicate the concept in Pokemon, tcg. Another game I play. So brutal.

Revision 3

Changed amounts:
-1 Codex Shredder
+1 Collective Brutality

Modern >

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 10:01:32 pm »
small change.  The sideboard might be a bit out of whack when you look at the deck.  I'm trying to order a few cards on Cardhoarder and you can't add "maybeboard" cards.

Meta dependant

Revision 7

Added/removed cards:
-2 (SB) Quiet Disrepair
+2 (SB) Collective Brutality
+2 (SB) Fragmentize
+2 (SB) Meddling Mage

Modern >

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 01:15:26 am »
I hate that Lantern Control won.  I mean, it's vindication for all of us people who were mocked for playing it.  But at the same time now everybody wants it.  #hipster

Modern >

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 01:04:00 am »

Revision 9

Added/removed cards:
-1 Witchbane Orb
+2 Noxious Revival

Changed amounts:
-1 Ghoulcaller's Bell

Modern >

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 02:28:46 am »
Im just curious you said that people play Jeskai Ascendancy why is that an annoying match up I play what is a essentially a modern deck plus counterspell and a few other banned cards but same idea. my friend is getting tired of playing against it because its really powerful compared to his deck so Im thinking of building something else to play.
I can't even read

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 10:49:42 pm »
Im just curious you said that people play Jeskai Ascendancy why is that an annoying match up I play what is a essentially a modern deck plus counterspell and a few other banned cards but same idea. my friend is getting tired of playing against it because its really powerful compared to his deck so Im thinking of building something else to play.

So basically, the deck revolves around the interplay between Jeskai Ascendancy and a mana dork.  you tap the dork for mana, play a spell, the dork untaps, all your creatures get +1/+1, and you loot (draw one, discard one).  You can essentially do that through your entire deck.  he combined it with fatestitcher to tap down your creatures or whatnot.  He would then either swing for lethal, or grapeshot you.  It was an incredibly annoying storm/creature deck that everybody in our playgroup hated.  Not because it was unwinnable or unbeatable, but because my playgroup was filled with a bunch of people who took pride in making decks that are janky ridiculous mechanics or that do fun stuff.  I mean, sh't, I have a deck that plays around Warped Devotion for pete's sake. 

Modern >