deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Improved deck legality checks: Standard seasons and Commander  (Read 5541 times)

Nils

• Decks
Improved deck legality checks: Standard seasons and Commander
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:00:52 pm »
I have recently made some improvements to the way we check whether a deck is legal in a certain format. While most of these improvements should not have any immediate effect (they just make the check more reliable in the future), this has also finally allowed me to add something I have been meaning to add for years: support for different seasons of Standard!

Until today, every time a set rotated out of Standard, all the old decks that were previously Standard legal suddenly said that they were "not legal for Standard" anymore. But of course the decks were actually legal at the time they were built! They were just built for a different season, pre-rotation. This is the problem that this new feature tries to solve.

From now on, when you save a Standard deck, you specify the season which you built it for. At the next rotation, we will simply add a new season but keep the old season intact. This way, you can always keep track of which rotation each deck was built for, and whether or not it was legal for that.

In addition, I have now also added an automatic legality check for EDH/Commander decks! This will make sure that you don't play any card more than once, and also take into consideration the offical WotC set and ban lists for Commander.

You can see a list of all the formats we support (including all the standard seasons and all the ban/restricted lists for the different formats) here:
https://deckstats.net/formats/

If you notice anything wrong on that page, or you think one of your decks is not being checked properly, please post here or send me a message!

Koenecoen

• Decks
Re: Improved deck legality checks: Standard seasons and Commander
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 11:00:34 pm »
Hi there,

You have made a great site here, and I love all the features it has! That being said, your check for EDH/ commander doesn't check for the 100 card limit as the only allowed amount. Maybe something to consider in the future. https://magic.wizards.com/en/content/commander-format

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 11:24:50 pm »
It checks for 99 cards in the mainboard
Nils is the God I worship

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 02:02:36 pm »
The legality checker should definitely check the number of cards! Is this not working for you? Could you please send me a link to the deck in question?

Koenecoen

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 08:44:30 am »
My example deck: https://deckstats.net/decks/16901/1000597-brightflame-brightspear-deck

It has 2 partner commanders, and I added an extra card so it says 102 cards and gives the 'OK' for legality in edh/commander.

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 10:40:46 am »
Oh, I see! I misunderstood your original post, sorry about that. You are right that it only checks *at least* 100 cards right now, but it should be checking for *exactly* 100 cards. I will look into fixing that asap.

Koenecoen

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 10:24:20 pm »
Yeah, I could have explained it better. Thanks for picking it up.

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 10:41:24 pm »
No worries! I have just applied the changes, so your deck should now no longer be classified as legal. Please let me know if you notice any other issues.