deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Edgar Markov Token Sac Deck  (Read 766 times)

MagicPlayer1080

• Decks

Soren841

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Edgar Markov Token Sac Deck
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 02:29:40 pm »
Token doublers arent needed, u have Edgar to generate all the tokens u need.
Nils is the God I worship

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:54:48 pm »
Ashnod's Altar × Skeletal Vampire + Nim Deathmantle is infinite colorless mana infinite creatures infinite sacrifices, add Phyrexian Altar for infinite colored mana and Blasting Station, Blood Artist, or Falkenrath Noble for infinite damage, and Bloodcrazed Paladin for an infinitely large creature.
 Bold Impaler + Haakon, Stromgald Scourge + Phyrexian Altar for infinite creatures, colored mana and sacrifices, add blasting station, Blood Artist, or Falkenrath Noble for infinite damage and Bloodcrazed Paladin for an infinitely large creature.
Changeling Berserker + Bloodline Necromancer + Ashnod's Altar or Phyrexian Altar for infinite mana and Infinite Sacrifices, add Blasting Station, Blood Artist, or Falkenrath Noble for infinite damage, and Bloodcrazed Paladin for an infinitely large creature.
There are more,  but these are good starts that share most of their pieces. Some good tutors are vampiric tutor grim tutor demonic tutor diabolic intent and increasing ambition.
Nils is the God I worship

MagicPlayer1080

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:50:06 pm »
Great thanks for these comments Soren!

MagicPlayer1080

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 09:46:37 am »

MagicPlayer1080

• Decks

MagicPlayer1080

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 02:50:38 pm »

MagicPlayer1080

• Decks

MagicPlayer1080

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 03:40:16 pm »

MagicPlayer1080

• Decks

MagicPlayer1080

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 04:31:17 pm »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 08:04:27 pm »
So here are my suggestions to help fix this deck. I'll warn you now, this is going to be a long post.

First, we need to fix the land base. There are too many lands that unconditionally enter tapped. Akoum Refuge, Bloodfell Caves, Bojuka Bog, Kabira Crossroads, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium, Scoured Barrens, and Shambling Vent all need to go (Nomad Outpost and Path of Ancestry are fine). These lands will slow your deck down. The lands that give you life (Namely Kabira Crossroads and Shambling Vent) aren't significant in a format where you start with 40 life, and especially not in a deck that already has lifegain (it's kinda what vampires do). If you absolutely need the graveyard hate that Bojuka Bog provides (so, if you go up against decks like The Scarab God and Meren of Clan Nel Toth), use Sentinel Totem and Nihil Spellbomb.

So to fix this, I'll let you in on a little secret; basic lands work just fine. It's true. So I'm going to suggest different land-bases, organized by price range. Pick the one that best suits you. In all cases, spending $10 on the Chromatic Lantern is worth it.

Budget: $26. You have most of these cards already.

1 Battlefield Forge
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Command Tower
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Field of Ruin
1 Foreboding Ruins
1 Inventors' Fair
1 Mirrodin's Core
3 Mountain
1 Nomad Outpost
1 Opal Palace
1 Path of Ancestry
4 Plains
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Spire of Industry
1 Sulfurous Springs
9 Swamp
1 Tainted Field
1 Tainted Peak
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Unclaimed Territory

Low cost: $55. Add in the fast lands, as well as Gemstone Mine and Gemstone Caverns

1 Battlefield Forge
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Command Tower
1 Concealed Courtyard
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Field of Ruin
1 Foreboding Ruins
1 Gemstone Caverns
1 Gemstone Mine
1 Inspiring Vantage
1 Mirrodin's Core
3 Mountain
1 Opal Palace
1 Path of Ancestry
4 Plains
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Spire of Industry
1 Sulfurous Springs
8 Swamp
1 Tainted Field
1 Tainted Peak
1 Unclaimed Territory

Expensive: $255. Once you add the shock lands and fetch lands, the deck becomes very consistent. It's perfectly acceptable if you don't want to spend this much.

1 Arid Mesa
1 Battlefield Forge
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Command Tower
1 Concealed Courtyard
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Field of Ruin
1 Gemstone Caverns
1 Gemstone Mine
1 Godless Shrine
1 Inspiring Vantage
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Marsh Flats
1 Cavern of Souls
3 Mountain
1 Opal Palace
1 Path of Ancestry
4 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Spire of Industry
1 Sulfurous Springs
5 Swamp
1 Unclaimed Territory

Uber expensive: $700+. Only buy this if you have lots of disposable income and your significant other is very understanding of your spending habits.

1 Arid Mesa
1 Badlands
1 Battlefield Forge
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Command Tower
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Field of Ruin
1 Flooded Strand
1 Gemstone Caverns
1 Gemstone Mine
1 Godless Shrine
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Marsh Flats
1 Mountain
1 Opal Palace
1 Path of Ancestry
1 Plains
1 Plateau
1 Polluted Delta
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Scrubland
1 Spire of Industry
1 Sulfurous Springs
2 Swamp
1 Unclaimed Territory
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills

So now that the land base is fixed, we can focus on the nonland cards. From what I can tell, the goal is to sacrifice the tokens that Edgar Makes, in order to get some kind of value from it (through Ashnod's Altar, or effects life Blood Artist). It's good to see you have Dictate of Erebos, because this will ensure that your opponent's don't have any way of blocking Edgar. You're playing the token deck, so unless they're also playing a token deck (Krenko, Mob Boss, Rhys the Redeemed, Omnath, Locus of Rage) you're pretty much guaranteed to have more creatures than them. Don't forget to add Grave Pact, Dictate of Erebos's cousin.

I do think that this is the best path to take. Your opponents will be vulnerable, so you can kill them off with combat damage. But this strategy needs to be more consistent. You're playing a 100 card deck, so you need to add consistency. In other words, tutors. Enlightened Tutor, Diabolic Tutor, Beseech the Queen, Gamble, and Sidisi, Undead Vizier are the ones I'd recommend for you. Diabolic tutor is about $0.50, while the others range between $3 and $12. These cards will let you search for Grave Pact, or even Exquisite Blood, your other win-con. If you're willing to shell out more money (close to $85) get Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, and Diabolic Intent.

So now, I will suggest cards to take out, and why I think they should go. First is Havengul Vampire. It's pretty slow-going, and there are better vampires out there (Like Rakish Heir and Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle, Yahenni, Undying Partisan, and Viscera Seer). I feel the same way about Bloodghast and Vein Drinker. Not that they're bad, just that there is better. Some of the sac outlets are also underwhelming (namely Blood Bairn and Bloodthrone Vampire). Again, I could see better stuff (like Goblin Bombardment or Attrition). Seeing as how you're not playing to the Voltron side of Edgar, I'd say Blade of the Bloodchief could go. I'm also divided on Alhammarret's Archive. It seems good, but 5 mana also seems like too much.

Finally, other cards that I think you should put in. Blood Pet, while not a vampire, sacrifices itself for mana. Dark Ritual will also help a ton for mana ramp. Fellwar Stone and Commander's Sphere are also very helpful. Relying solely on lands for mana is never a good idea. While you have some good card draw, I also think that to much of it comes out late game. You also want early stuff like Faithless Looting and Cathartic Reunion. Lastly, the following cards tend to work well in Edgar: Cathar's Crusade, Crackling Doom, Olivia Voldaren (grab your opponent's creature, sacrifice it) and Kindred Charge (make a bunch of tokens, attack, sacrifice them).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:09:20 pm by Morganator 2.0 »

MagicPlayer1080

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 08:55:13 pm »
Thanks for the great advice, I've added some cards based on those that I own, the side board has cards I intend to add, I have a question regarding tokens, when do they leave the graveyard? For example can they be used with avatar of woe to reduce her casting cost?

Thanks again

Revision 28

Added/removed cards:
-1 Alhammarret's Archive
-1 Blade of the Bloodchief
-1 Havengul Vampire
-1 Legion Lieutenant
-1 Vein Drinker
-1 Zombify
+1 Commander's Sphere
+1 Crackling Doom
+1 Diabolic Tutor