deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Brainstorming Properly  (Read 311 times)

Soren841

• Decks
Brainstorming Properly
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:51:25 pm »
So I've decided to make a little thread on Brainstorm since JTMS is now legal in modern. Even in legacy, where both cards are legal, many people use Brainstorm incorrectly.
So the theory is to use Preordain Ponder etc before brainstorm, to get the most out of it. The part most people mess up is when to use it though. 1st and foremost, use it on your turn. A lot of people are used to casting instants on the end step, but this is incorrect for multiple reasons.
First, it's cost is so low that leaving up the one mana is usually whatever. Second, in theory you put your worst 2 cards back. Since KTMS is free to use and is EVERY TURN, you can use it slightly differently. In legacy half the lands are fetches,  practically, so you use them to shuffle away your worst cards. But since you dont have to pay for it with Jace, you can also use effects like Ponder to get a similar effect, with less cost than if you had cast a brainstorm.
So basically the main points are: main phase, shuffle effect. Sorry if I kinda ramble, I don't write many threads. ;D hope I helped!
Nils is the God I worship

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
Re: Brainstorming Properly
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:14:05 am »
another thing I try to consider is if I have the ability to scry before I storm, then I take it.  So, for example, if you have an opt, serum visions, read the bones, etc. in your hand, use it *before* you use Jace's ability.  It sounds obvious, but I've seen a lot of people who are used to just ticking up their walkers mindlessly. 

you're using the 0 ability to essentially just dig for something.  so the more you can dig, the better. 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:25:28 am »
No i would use it after to scry away the cards you put back, unless you have a scry AND a fetch, in which case scry first

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 12:32:25 am »
No i would use it after to scry away the cards you put back, unless you have a scry AND a fetch, in which case scry first
  That's what I'm saying.  Scry/draw before you Jace.  So if I have serum, I'll serum first.  then jace.  Or if I have optopt first. 

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 12:34:57 am »
I do think it's correct to use his + to screw their draws as long as you're not really hurting for cards

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 05:58:15 am »
I do think it's correct to use his + to screw their draws as long as you're not really hurting for cards

As a lantern player, i can attest that it is ALWAYS ok to screw with their draws.

Modern >

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 12:52:10 pm »
I agree, it is always ok to mess with your opponents draws.
This space for rent.