deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Our EDH League Rules  (Read 2360 times)

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Our EDH League Rules
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 04:36:52 pm »
Yea I forgot to mention that the ones in favor were talking about errata'ing that to red away from gold.

That is probably a really good idea.  I would suggest making it a multi-color token.  So that it is still "gold" in the Magic-card sense.  I would suggest calling it a 5-color token.

:)
Happy Brewing!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 04:47:09 pm »
5 color token is a good idea. I'm actually a little more sold on the idea with that errata, as well as the d20 part not being that big a deal the way you've presented it.

The other issue people had, as Tre said, was the protection from Rogues & Clerics. Not much of an ability IMO. Someone mentioned changing that to say 'colorless' but at that point you've errata'd half the abilities on the card.

The people in favor of it think it would be a cool tribute to the group since the group started out as a D&D gaming group. Essentially they're really for finding a way to make the card legal in the group.
This space for rent.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 05:45:15 pm »
One of the reasons WotC has stopped making protection from {color} is that is was too swingy.  Against that color it was way too powerful.  Non-against that color it was completely useless.  Protection from colorless would also be way too powerful versus largely artifact decks.  Protection from {creature type} has been the new way that WotC has been maintaining any protection cards.  baneslayer Angel has protection from demons and dragons.  Hungry Lynx has protection from rats.  Very powerful against a tribal deck, but only the tribal cards.  It doesn't shut down instants, sorceries, or enchantments (unless they are of the appropriate type Tribal).

I agree that protection from Rogues and Clerics is largely irrelevant.  Although they pop up now and then.  Any errata only makes the card more powerful.  If the point is just to make the card black-border legal then that only requires making the token a color other than gold.  If you are issuing the errata to make the card viable in deck, then you really just want to be playing the other Sword of {this} and {that}.  Play those and not Dungeons and Dragons.

My $0.02  :)
Happy Brewing!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 05:46:57 pm »
Again, all valid points. I'll be suggesting the points you've made on our next casual play night (tonight) and maybe we can revote on it. I'd be for it with the errata you've suggested.

I'm surprised they don't like the protection from clerics...with me having a Shadowborn Apostle deck haha.

edit- spelling is not my friend today
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:55:46 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 06:02:56 pm »
I suspect they don't realize just how pervasive rogues and clerics are.  With the Grand Creature Type update, many old cards got errata to be rogues or clerics.  Lorwyn block had a lot or rogues.  (Bitterblossom).  I did a quick Gatherer search.  There are currently 57 rogues and clerics in Standard right now.  And 594 total cards with either of those types.  (not counting anything with changeling).
Happy Brewing!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2018, 05:37:00 am »
As said in another thread, the vote went through to allow the Sword of Dungeons & Dragons.
This space for rent.

homietre

• Decks
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 02:42:06 pm »
we voted last night that Tiny Leaders would be our next between season venture

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 08:01:32 pm »
We made some changes that will start at the beginning of our next 'season' (we're currently in the third week of the current season):

* Iona, Shield of Emeria is now banned (we saw it used an increasing amount of times and in pods with it playing against a mono-colored deck...)
* Cards such as Serra Ascendant & Divinity of Pride gain their "if at this life total you get this buff" at 50 instead of what is printed on them.
* Cards like Magister Sphinx & Sorin Markov that are typically used to set a players life total to a lower amount, set it to 20 instead of 10.

There was also a suggestion to allow Contract from Below, not as an ante card, but to be errata'ed to say "discard your hand, exile the top card of your library, then draw seven cards". We didn't vote on it because the opinions were just too differing. I wasn't in favor because drawing seven cards for one mana seems OP.
This space for rent.

homietre

• Decks
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:55 pm »
exactly the issue I had with it