deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Jace Unbanned... thoughts?  (Read 874 times)

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
Jace Unbanned... thoughts?
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:03:08 pm »
Bloodbraid elf is meh buuuuuuuuuuuut

JACE, THE MIND SCULPTOR!!  I have a tinge of fear for what this card will do because, in all the 'no ban list' games I've played, the best way to beat him was just to play some stupid unfair turn 2-3 kill combo deck and just kill the opponent before he came out. 

I wonder if this is going to lead to a rise of unfair/unfun/uninterractive combo decks, or just flat-out hyper aggro decks? 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Re: Jace Unbanned... thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:03:43 pm »
I'm guessing that they are trying to push sales for M25 which (not surprisingly) has Jace, The Mind Sculptor. Other than that I feel as though a lot of fans have requested it to be reinstated in the format.
Which... could be a good thing, because most Modern decks want to win by turn 3-4 (U/R Storm/ Affinity/ Infect)
He can be potentially lethal, due to the proposed change to targetting parameters concerning planeswalkers!
However, that has yet to be introduced...
On his own, he isn't too much more of a threat than Chandra, Torch of Defiance. Aggro decks can roll over his 3/5 loyalty. (I could be wrong)
It will be interesting to see if his reintroduction will have a serious effect on the Modern Meta.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:22:58 pm »
Definitely has had an effect...SCG is sold out of each printing of JTMS
This space for rent.

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:49:38 pm »
I feel like there is going to be an increase in pure aggro and fast combo win decks as people try to race him.  I've played a few no-banlist games against him and once he's out, he's pretty tough. 

Or we're going to see a lot more "cast meddling mage, naming Jace the Mind Sculptor"

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 06:21:20 pm »
I think after such a great modern protour and the diveristy it showed off I think that the format will easily absorb bloodbraid elf in to jund decks and similar builds.

as for Jace the mind sculptor I am worried he is going to be dominate in that you are either playing jace, mainboard answers to jace, or you lose. I think that a lot of the cool non blue deck mid range decks that didn't do well at PT RIX but were still viable will disappear because of how good jace is against fair decks like that. I think death shadow will get worse. I think we will see a lot of diversity disapear and the already high price level of modern potentially sky rocket. also blue fetch lands are going to sky rocket because all the non blue decks are going to want to go into blue to play jace. Im upset because the jeskai ascendancy midrangey deck is going to suck because now I have to play jace if i want it to be competitive. as well as the fact that scalding tarns $40 price is going to go way up as well.

U/x control decks will love him any blue deck pretty much has to play him now.

I think we will see a lot more fast turn 2-3 kill decks go up to go under jace and combo decks that don't care about a turn 4 jace.

I could totally wrong modern may absorb jace just fine and survive but I think diversity in deck choice will go down signifcantly.
I also strongly believe that WOTC got a little too greedy and is just trying to sell m 25 as much as they can.
Modern will probably suffer from this.
Bloodbraid yay Jace noo
I can't even read

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:30 pm »
Thr price probably wont go up much. Jace is doubtless up for a reprint very soon
Nils is the God I worship

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 08:15:31 pm »
I think after such a great modern protour and the diveristy it showed off I think that the format will easily absorb bloodbraid elf in to jund decks and similar builds.

as for Jace the mind sculptor I am worried he is going to be dominate in that you are either playing jace, mainboard answers to jace, or you lose. I think that a lot of the cool non blue deck mid range decks that didn't do well at PT RIX but were still viable will disappear because of how good jace is against fair decks like that. I think death shadow will get worse. I think we will see a lot of diversity disapear and the already high price level of modern potentially sky rocket. also blue fetch lands are going to sky rocket because all the non blue decks are going to want to go into blue to play jace. Im upset because the jeskai ascendancy midrangey deck is going to suck because now I have to play jace if i want it to be competitive. as well as the fact that scalding tarns $40 price is going to go way up as well.

U/x control decks will love him any blue deck pretty much has to play him now.

I think we will see a lot more fast turn 2-3 kill decks go up to go under jace and combo decks that don't care about a turn 4 jace.

I could totally wrong modern may absorb jace just fine and survive but I think diversity in deck choice will go down signifcantly.
I also strongly believe that WOTC got a little too greedy and is just trying to sell m 25 as much as they can.
Modern will probably suffer from this.
Bloodbraid yay Jace noo

I think it absolutely will suffer.  I think you're going to see a rise of degenerate combo decks that are just looking to kill before Jace can go down.  I think thousand of people have played around with him in a deck and have learned his ability to utterly dominate a game.  Bloodbraid elf bums me out, though, if only because it means the only deck I play (lantern) just got a lot worse.  But I agree, it was never really the problem. 

It's interesting to chose these two.  Jace was never given the chance to be a problem.  And Bloodbraid Elf was never the actual problem (I'm looking at you, Deathrite Shaman).  I can't wait for there to be even less variety at my LGS now. 

Modern >

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 08:53:54 pm »
Question guys, can you give me a decklist that makes use of Jace the Mind Sculptor in Modern to rival the top 8 decks? We'll call this a competition @G.moto and I will judge. I'll think of a fitting community reward. (It will probably be me giving you 10 karma)

I'll judge this in a week from now. What do you say?

I will be checking the decklists online, so no copying!  ;)
If enough people want to do this I'll create a new topic for it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:56:14 pm by Mnemosyne »

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 08:58:58 pm »
Question guys, can you give me a decklist that makes use of Jace the Mind Sculptor in Modern to rival the top 8 decks? We'll call this a competition @G.moto and I will judge. I'll think of a fitting community reward. (It will probably be me giving you 10 karma)

I'll judge this in a week from now. What do you say?

I will be checking the decklists online, so no copying!  ;)
If enough people want to do this I'll create a new topic for it.

Oh this is interesting.  Does it have to be a unique deck?  Or a deck that you can slot him into?

Modern >

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 09:06:09 pm »
I would prefer that it be unique, but I concede that you'll have to make a known archetype. I'll leave it to your discretion. Of course, if you make a Blue Moon deck and slot Jace into it, that's kind of an obvious move!

What I will say is if you have to, then you can just make it as unique as possible.  :)

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 09:10:53 pm »
I would prefer that it be unique, but I concede that you'll have to make a known archetype. I'll leave it to your discretion. Of course, if you make a Blue Moon deck and slot Jace into it, that's kind of an obvious move!

What I will say is if you have to, then you can just make it as unique as possible.  :)

I am totally on board with this.  Spread the word!  should we submit decks to the Topic you'll make?  I'm not super popular here, so I don't think anybody will see this XD

Modern >

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 09:20:45 pm »

I am totally on board with this.  Spread the word!  should we submit decks to the Topic you'll make?  I'm not super popular here, so I don't think anybody will see this XD

SO unpopular, in fact, that the one time I made a deck that WOULD have made it Deck of the week (https://deckstats.net/decks/42006/873027-maralen-the-arbiter/en) they didn't pick a deck XDDDDDDD  #notbitter

Modern >

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 09:21:11 pm »

No worries I'll make the topic a bit later and sticky it to the general forums, then you can post it there, in the meantime, get brewing!  :D

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 09:39:57 pm »
Thr price probably wont go up much. Jace is doubtless up for a reprint very soon

It was $77 last week, now it's around $150. And it's already been confirmed for the Masters 25 set.

https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/1589
This space for rent.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 09:45:34 pm »
I'm not super popular here...

I think you're all right. Sure, maybe you missed out on deck of the week here - but making mtggoldfish.com got you some cred I hope. ;)

I'm not shy about saying I'm new-ish to mtg, additionally I mostly go standard or limited, casual constructed and minor edh. I've only done one FMN with a modern deck (UR prowess, I guess; 1-2 against taking turns, affinity, with win against lantern in 2, ha). Can someone walk me through why a JTMS on t4 is overwhelmingly powerful? Never played with it or against it.

The +2 ability gets it out of bolt range - i get that part, but the ability itself seems lackluster aside from scouting things out game 1.

The 0 brainstorm is obvious card advatange, but doesn't progress towards ultimate or defending himself. The -1 unsummon i think is where it is, given how long it would take to ultimate. Or does blue offer enough defensive spells/effects (made available with the brainstorm) to keep him beefy and growing towards ultimate?

Maybe the new thread (great idea, btw, Mnemosyne) will give fresh ideas on how to feature JTMS, I don't even know how it was used before to make this unbanning such a big deal.

Thanks to anyone willing to take the time to post; I'm hoping it's not a cut and dry easy thing I'm missing.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac